    is me being curious.

    Thanks,
    Erik

    Erik, Aug 27, 2005

  2. Erik

    Erik Guest

    As for the CPU/motherboard issue, Wikipedia showed a picture of a Slot
    1 motherboard that looks suspiciously similar to the Presario 5020 in
    my possession. Looks like switching out the CPU or motherboard is not
    an option, as Slot 1 type motherboards seem obsolete.

    Erik

    Erik, Aug 27, 2005

  3. Erik

    Ben Myers Guest

    One of the Presario 5020 models shown on the HPaq web site has an AMD Duron
    microATX motherboard. Not sure exactly which model you have there, but
    apparently there are several Presario 5020's.

    Any Compaq Presario system with a microATX motherboard can be reworked in
    several ways. You can take the Compaq motheboard and put it in another case.
    You can replace the Compaq motherboard. For most, the major problems to solve
    have to do with front panel wiring. First, you have to figure out which leads
    on the motherboard header go to the on-off switch, power LED and hard drive LED.
    Next, to re-use a Compaq case with another board, you'll have to rewire the
    front panel with wire leads, button and LEDs which do not have a single
    integrated connector. (I keep a lot of this stuff around from systems I have
    scrapped and parted out.) Finally, you may have to get another assembly to
    provide front-panel USB and/or audio.

    Unless you have a lot of parts kicking around and you are in love with the case,
    a new case is inexpensive and less time consuming... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 27, 2005
  4. Erik

    Erik Guest

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > One of the Presario 5020 models shown on the HPaq web site has an AMD Duron
    > microATX motherboard. Not sure exactly which model you have there, but
    > apparently there are several Presario 5020's.

    According to my friend, this 5020 is sporting a Celeron 200 or 300 mhz
    processor, so I'm sure it has to be pretty old. Also, the motherboard
    isn't micro-ATX size, which is 9.6" by 9.6". It seems to measure out
    to approximately 8.x" by 10.x", which seems closer to mini-ATX
    dimensions (at least according to the numbers on Wikipedia). I suspect
    the best I can do is replace the chassis.

    Thanks!
    Erik

    Erik, Aug 27, 2005
  5. Erik

    Ben Myers Guest

    Yes, an old Slot 1 Celeron is barely worth the effort to fix up and use
    nowadays.... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 27, 2005