    to get around? Or, is this a hardware conflict? The computer did have
    XP and a license for it. Has anyone got around this with, if so, got a
    trick to share?
    EdLives, Nov 5, 2006

  2. "EdLives" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've got a Persario 6430NX here with a shot hard drive and no orriginal
    > software. I've installed a hard drive but can't get the computer to
    > boot up into the win xp setup. It will take windows 98, but not XP.
    > It copies all the files then freeezes on the screen "Setup is starting
    > Windows".
    > Is this some kind of Compaq proprietary problem that takes a utillity
    > to get around? Or, is this a hardware conflict? The computer did have
    > XP and a license for it. Has anyone got around this with, if so, got a
    > trick to share?

    Do you have a partition on the hard drive? Windows 98 Boot Disk creates a
    RAM Disk so a hard drive is not necessary to get started. Use the Windows
    98 Boot Disk to run FDisk on the hard drive to create an active partition
    and format it as FAT32. You can change to NTFS during the installation of
    Windows XP. Windows XP copies files to the hard drive to get started but
    will not copy to a raw disk. You must have a full Windows XP Setup CDROM or
    qualifying media to install an upgrade Windows XP on an empty hard drive.

    --
    Earl F. Parrish
    Earl F. Parrish, Nov 6, 2006

  3. EdLives

    Kevin Guest

    "EdLives" <> wrote in message
    > I've got a Persario 6430NX here with a shot hard drive and no orriginal
    > software. I've installed a hard drive but can't get the computer to
    > boot up into the win xp setup. It will take windows 98, but not XP.
    > It copies all the files then freeezes on the screen "Setup is starting
    > Windows".
    > Is this some kind of Compaq proprietary problem that takes a utillity
    > to get around? Or, is this a hardware conflict? The computer did have
    > XP and a license for it. Has anyone got around this with, if so, got a
    > trick to share?

    The BIOS must be set to boot from the CD.
    Kevin, Nov 6, 2006
  4. EdLives

    Guest

    I came across the same problem of the computer freezing or halting
    while trying to install Windows XP and received the message "Setup is
    starting Windows." You know it's frozen because pressing alt+ctrl+del
    doesn't respond. After much searching I found out, at least in my
    case, that the Windows installation program was not able to identify
    the computer system/BIOS as ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power
    Interface), a standard for hardware recognition, even if your
    motherboard/BIOS is indeed ACPI. So this is what you can try:

    1) Boot from the Windows Installation CD (boot order may be needed to
    be changed in BIOS, and you may have to press a key when asked to boot
    from CD during startup. I suppose you can also start the installation
    program from the harddrive).
    2) Press F5 to bring up the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) menu, once
    the Windows installation program begins with the blue text screen. It
    may ask you to press F6 or F2 but instead press F5 instead!
    3) There will be various menu options but select "Advanced
    Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC" if indeed your BIOS
    supports ACPI (most do these days.)
    4) Then from here on Windows installation should progress and not
    stall. To go past the "Setup is starting Windows" screen it only took
    me a few seconds but no more than 1 minute, even though Microsoft says
    it may take up to 30minutes.

    Here are the useful links from which I found this information.

    - TheElderlyGeek.com's "Clean Install Windows XP:"
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/clean_installation_of_windows_xp.htm

    - Microsoft's "HOW TO: Specify a Specific or Third-Party HAL During
    Windows Setup:"

    And more Microsoft links:
    - "Windows Setup Hangs When 'Setup Is Starting Windows' Screen
    Appears"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/217073
    - "Windows XP Does Not Respond at 'Setup Is Starting Windows XP'
    Message"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310760
    - "Troubleshooting Text-Mode Setup Problems on ACPI Computers"

    I hope this helps those who've had the same problem as me and took
    forever to figure this out.

    EdLives wrote:
    > I've got a Persario 6430NX here with a shot hard drive and no orriginal
    > software. I've installed a hard drive but can't get the computer to
    > boot up into the win xp setup. It will take windows 98, but not XP.
    > It copies all the files then freeezes on the screen "Setup is starting
    > Windows".
    > Is this some kind of Compaq proprietary problem that takes a utillity
    > to get around? Or, is this a hardware conflict? The computer did have
    > XP and a license for it. Has anyone got around this with, if so, got a
    > trick to share?
    , Dec 30, 2006