Prescott P4 2.80E CPU Running at 76 Celcius

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by Brian, Apr 6, 2004.

  1. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Hi,

    I haven't even tried overclocking this CPU yet as at stock
    standard settings it seems to be far too hot to start with.

    I am running a Prescott CPU on an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe motherboard
    using the latest BIOS 1016, CPU is a 2.80E, running at 2800Mhz,
    using the 800Mhz FSB with Dual 3200 DDR. The CPU is mounted
    with the stock Intel heatsink/fan and thermal tape.
    Most BIOS settings are either "Standard" or "Auto" and HT enabled.

    I realise this CPU runs hotter than the earlier P4's but running
    under some load at 76 Celsius seems a bit too hot to me?

    My room temp is about 28C, and using Motherboard Monitor 5,
    on startup the case temp is about 35C and the CPU 64C, the CPU
    temp dropped shortly after to around 52C. The core voltage is
    between 1.32v - 1.38v but usually closer to 1.32v so the max
    of 1.4v is not being exceeded to create extra heat.

    At idle the case temp averages 35-40C and CPU 50-55C.
    On Win2000, running only Seti, the case is 41-45C and CPU 73-76C.
    Usual CPU fan speed varies between 2800-3100.
    These temps are with the left side case panel removed.
    A Seti unit took 3hrs 45mins so the CPU appears to run OK.

    If I replace the side panel the slight increase in heat causes
    the CPU fan to rise to 5200+ and the noise drives me nuts :)

    Is this too hot for this CPU?
    Does anyone else have experience with this CPU etc?

    Brian

    Brian, Apr 6, 2004

  2. Brian

    Phil Weldon Guest

    A CPU temperature of 76 degrees C is higher that the maximum operating
    temperature for the Pentium 4 2.8E; it is probably throttled down because of
    the excessive temperature.

    The very high temperature at idle (since you are using Windows 2000)
    indicates that the heatsink is incorrectly installed. With Windows 2000,
    the CPU temperature at idle should usually be a bit cooler than the
    motherboard, or not very much above the air temperature inside the case.

    On the other hand, the fact that your CPU fan is not running full out with
    the case side off indicates that you may not be reading the correct CPU
    temperature; certainly the CPU fan SHOULD be running full out if the CPU
    temperature really were in the 70 degree C range.

    I'd guess that your idle CPU temperature is about 10 degrees high and the
    SETI@home CPU temperature is 15 or 20 degrees C too high. There programs
    that load the CPU more than SETI@home, so something is seriously wrong with
    your heatsink installation, your temperature monitoring, or both.

    --
    Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
    For communication,

    Phil Weldon, Apr 6, 2004

  3. "Brian" wrote
    <snip>
    > I haven't even tried overclocking this CPU yet as at stock
    > standard settings it seems to be far too hot to start with.

    > I realise this CPU runs hotter than the earlier P4's but running
    > under some load at 76 Celsius seems a bit too hot to me?

    Hi.
    F*cking hell! that's RIDICULOUS!
    Are you sure your sensor is working properly, and that the HSF is mounted
    correctly?
    --
    Wayne ][
    <Sign on door reads: Please Do No Disturb! Pentium 4 assembly in progress!>

    Wayne Youngman, Apr 6, 2004
  4. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Hi Phil,

    > A CPU temperature of 76 degrees C is higher that the maximum operating
    > temperature for the Pentium 4 2.8E; it is probably throttled down because of
    > the excessive temperature.
    >
    > The very high temperature at idle (since you are using Windows 2000)
    > indicates that the heatsink is incorrectly installed. With Windows 2000,
    > the CPU temperature at idle should usually be a bit cooler than the
    > motherboard, or not very much above the air temperature inside the case.
    >
    > On the other hand, the fact that your CPU fan is not running full out with
    > the case side off indicates that you may not be reading the correct CPU
    > temperature; certainly the CPU fan SHOULD be running full out if the CPU
    > temperature really were in the 70 degree C range.
    >
    > I'd guess that your idle CPU temperature is about 10 degrees high and the
    > SETI@home CPU temperature is 15 or 20 degrees C too high. There programs
    > that load the CPU more than SETI@home, so something is seriously wrong with
    > your heatsink installation, your temperature monitoring, or both.

    Well you were spot on there.
    The plastic clamp holding the heatsink down was disengaged at the
    top corner just below the Power Supply.

    Now on startup I have case 40C and CPU 44C
    With Seti the case 45C and CPU 54C
    Fan speed is still about the same, currently 3000.

    Now that looks a lot better :)

    That has taught me a valuable lesson though...I think I need glasses
    as I had checked that several times including all the BIOS settings etc
    but the HS looked OK. With you being so sure it had to be the HS I
    had a very good look and even missed it again the first time!

    That CPU has been running like that for about 3 weeks so do you think
    that would have caused any damage or does it throttle down enough
    to prevent damage at that temp?

    Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

    Brian

    Brian, Apr 6, 2004
  5. Brian

    S.Heenan Guest

    Brian wrote:
    <snip>
    > Now on startup I have case 40C and CPU 44C
    > With Seti the case 45C and CPU 54C
    > Fan speed is still about the same, currently 3000.

    > That CPU has been running like that for about 3 weeks so do you think
    > that would have caused any damage or does it throttle down enough
    > to prevent damage at that temp?

    Run SETI at Home all night and see if it or the OS crashes. It's very likely
    unharmed.

    S.Heenan, Apr 6, 2004
  6. Brian

    Brian Guest

    S.Heenan wrote:

    > Brian wrote:
    > <snip>
    >
    >>Now on startup I have case 40C and CPU 44C
    >>With Seti the case 45C and CPU 54C
    >>Fan speed is still about the same, currently 3000.

    >>That CPU has been running like that for about 3 weeks so do you think
    >>that would have caused any damage or does it throttle down enough
    >>to prevent damage at that temp?

    > Run SETI at Home all night and see if it or the OS crashes. It's very likely
    > unharmed.

    Yes I will, but mind you it has been running for the last 3 weeks
    at that temp without crashing and that includes running Seti etc :)

    Brian

    Brian, Apr 6, 2004
  7. Brian

    ElJerid Guest

    > Hi Phil,
    >

    > > A CPU temperature of 76 degrees C is higher that the maximum operating
    > > temperature for the Pentium 4 2.8E; it is probably throttled down

    because of
    > > the excessive temperature.
    > >
    > > The very high temperature at idle (since you are using Windows 2000)
    > > indicates that the heatsink is incorrectly installed. With Windows

    2000,
    > > the CPU temperature at idle should usually be a bit cooler than the
    > > motherboard, or not very much above the air temperature inside the case.
    > >
    > > On the other hand, the fact that your CPU fan is not running full out

    with
    > > the case side off indicates that you may not be reading the correct

    CPU
    > > temperature; certainly the CPU fan SHOULD be running full out if the

    CPU
    > > temperature really were in the 70 degree C range.
    > >
    > > I'd guess that your idle CPU temperature is about 10 degrees high and

    the
    > > SETI@home CPU temperature is 15 or 20 degrees C too high. There

    programs
    > > that load the CPU more than SETI@home, so something is seriously wrong

    with
    > > your heatsink installation, your temperature monitoring, or both.
    > >

    > Well you were spot on there.
    > The plastic clamp holding the heatsink down was disengaged at the
    > top corner just below the Power Supply.
    >
    > Now on startup I have case 40C and CPU 44C
    > With Seti the case 45C and CPU 54C
    > Fan speed is still about the same, currently 3000.
    >
    > Now that looks a lot better :)
    >
    > That has taught me a valuable lesson though...I think I need glasses
    > as I had checked that several times including all the BIOS settings etc
    > but the HS looked OK. With you being so sure it had to be the HS I
    > had a very good look and even missed it again the first time!
    >
    > That CPU has been running like that for about 3 weeks so do you think
    > that would have caused any damage or does it throttle down enough
    > to prevent damage at that temp?
    >
    > Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
    >
    > Brian

    I think your temps are still too high. I have the same config (P4P800 + P4 /
    800 2.8 Ghz + 2 x 512 MB Corsair PC3700 + Radeon 9800 Pro) and with a room
    temp of 20°C I have temp reports (Asus Probe) in idle mode of 27°C for the
    CPU and 29°C for the motherboard. The temps raise up to a max of 40°C (cpu)
    and 37°C (mobo) in stressed mode (video rendering, flight sims).
    I suspect that after checking your cooling, you did not replace the thermal
    tape on the cpu. This tape is a "single use" item and MUST be renieuwed
    after dismounting. You'd better however use silver based thermal paste like
    Artic Silver (after in-depth cleaning of the contact surfaces).

    ElJerid, Apr 6, 2004
  8. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Hi ElJerid,

    ElJerid wrote:

    > "Brian" <brian@send_spam_here.org> wrote in message

    >>Now on startup I have case 40C and CPU 44C
    >>With Seti the case 45C and CPU 54C
    >>Fan speed is still about the same, currently 3000.
    >>

    > I think your temps are still too high. I have the same config (P4P800 + P4 /
    > 800 2.8 Ghz + 2 x 512 MB Corsair PC3700 + Radeon 9800 Pro) and with a room
    > temp of 20°C I have temp reports (Asus Probe) in idle mode of 27°C for the
    > CPU and 29°C for the motherboard. The temps raise up to a max of 40°C (cpu)
    > and 37°C (mobo) in stressed mode (video rendering, flight sims).

    Is yours the Prescott CPU 2.80E or the Northwood CPU 2.80C?

    As I know the Prescotts run hotter than the Northwoods but
    by how much I don't know. If yours is the Northwood then I
    suppose I could allow 5C for the higher room temp and another
    5C for the CPU running hotter?
    That could explain the 10C or so difference.

    > I suspect that after checking your cooling, you did not replace the thermal
    > tape on the cpu. This tape is a "single use" item and MUST be renieuwed
    > after dismounting. You'd better however use silver based thermal paste like
    > Artic Silver (after in-depth cleaning of the contact surfaces).

    I didn't actually remove the HS I just pushed it on properly
    as it was sitting so I suppose it was the first real contact
    that the tape had. However, when I get some new paste I will
    remove the HS etc clean it and repaste it.

    Just as a further comparison, this PC that I am using now is a P3 1Ghz,
    on a Gigabyte GA-6BXE and it is running with a case temp of 50C and CPU 42C,
    whilst running Seti.
    The other PC is case 44C and CPU 52C and is also running Seti.
    This room is still 28C.

    Brian

    Brian, Apr 6, 2004
  9. Brian

    Phil Weldon Guest

    If you subtract 8 degrees C from all of Brian's temperatures (as you
    should, to compare his temperatures to yours,since his room temperature is
    8 degrees C higher than your room temperature), the SETI@home motherboard
    and CPU temperatures are now the equivalent of 37 degrees C and 46 degrees
    C, which, with a Prescott, likely indicates a problem with case
    ventilation rather than with the heatsink installation.

    --

    /

    Phil Weldon, Apr 6, 2004
  10. Brian wrote:

    > Hi ElJerid,
    >
    > ElJerid wrote:
    >
    >> "Brian" <brian@send_spam_here.org> wrote in message
    >>

    >>> Now on startup I have case 40C and CPU 44C
    >>> With Seti the case 45C and CPU 54C
    >>> Fan speed is still about the same, currently 3000.
    >>>

    >> I think your temps are still too high. I have the same config (P4P800
    >> + P4 /
    >> 800 2.8 Ghz + 2 x 512 MB Corsair PC3700 + Radeon 9800 Pro) and with a
    >> room
    >> temp of 20°C I have temp reports (Asus Probe) in idle mode of 27°Cfor
    >> the
    >> CPU and 29°C for the motherboard. The temps raise up to a max of 40°C
    >> (cpu)
    >> and 37°C (mobo) in stressed mode (video rendering, flight sims).

    > Is yours the Prescott CPU 2.80E or the Northwood CPU 2.80C?
    >
    > As I know the Prescotts run hotter than the Northwoods but
    > by how much I don't know. If yours is the Northwood then I
    > suppose I could allow 5C for the higher room temp and another
    > 5C for the CPU running hotter?
    > That could explain the 10C or so difference.

    Room temp accounts for 8C alone and case ventilation could make the
    remaining 2C without <cough> breaking a sweat (plus measurement errors, not
    to mention 'room temp' measured where?).

    >> I suspect that after checking your cooling, you did not replace the
    >> thermal
    >> tape on the cpu. This tape is a "single use" item and MUST be renieuwed
    >> after dismounting. You'd better however use silver based thermal paste
    >> like
    >> Artic Silver (after in-depth cleaning of the contact surfaces).

    > I didn't actually remove the HS I just pushed it on properly
    > as it was sitting so I suppose it was the first real contact
    > that the tape had. However, when I get some new paste I will
    > remove the HS etc clean it and repaste it.
    >
    > Just as a further comparison, this PC that I am using now is a P3 1Ghz,
    > on a Gigabyte GA-6BXE and it is running with a case temp of 50C and CPU
    > 42C,
    > whilst running Seti.
    > The other PC is case 44C and CPU 52C and is also running Seti.
    > This room is still 28C.

    If those really are case temps then your case cooling isn't very good as
    it's not all that hard to get in the 6-8C case temp rise range with decent
    case fans. e.g. your case temp shouldn't be going over 36C with a 28C
    ambient and 'good' ventilation.

    However, those are likely motherboard temps and not case temp.

    The other question is whether your CPU temps are under the socket temps or
    processor diode temps. According to the Gigabyte specs, that CPU temp is a
    heatsink probe, which is not processor die temp. I don't know about the
    prescott. Diode temp is higher than either (processor) case or heatsink
    temp due to the thermal drop across the CPU to heatspreader interface and
    then the thermal spreader to heatsink. The point being that one needs to
    know what's being measured as a heatsink probe will give a lower reading
    and the processor diode will give a higher one for the same conditions.
    Then one needs to know what the spec is. For the P-III, the spec'd temp is
    die temp, but you're measuring the heatsink, and the Prescott temp spec is
    processor case, but you might be measuring the processor diode.

    To give an example for illustrative purposes only, as it's a completely
    different processor and thermal solution, my Athlon mobile 2400+
    overclocked to 3400+ has both processor diode and under the socket thermal
    monitoring and the differential under load is about 8C (higher core temp,
    of course).

    One can't make a proper evaluation without the 'real' numbers but, assuming
    all the engineers who designed the devices you're using did the 'typical'
    thing and that nothing is defective, your temps look to be in the 'normal'
    range for a 'stock' set-up.

    David Maynard, Apr 6, 2004
  11. Brian

    Phil Weldon Guest

    Congatulations! Those temperatures are more reasonable. However, now I
    think you need to improve your case ventilation, and especially make sure
    that the air entering the heatsink is as close to room temperature as
    possible ( I like to set the heatsink fan to blow into the heat sink and
    have a case fan blow directly into the heatsink areas. I use a 120 mm fan
    in the side of the case that blows directly into the heatsink, memory, AGP
    slot, and on-motherboard converter/regulator areas. I understand your
    ambient temperature problem. I live in Miami-Dade County, and a daytime
    ambient of 29 - 30 degrees C is pretty standard (except for the past few
    weeks - we've had a cold snap with day time highs of 28 and night time lows
    of 45 B^)

    Phil Weldon, Apr 6, 2004
  12. Brian

    Spajky Guest

    On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 13:34:56 +1000, Brian <brian@send_spam_here.org>
    wrote:

    >I am running a Prescott CPU

    the "oven" :) you bought ...

    >with the stock Intel heatsink/fan and thermal tape.

    get better HSF w/o that tape, use a good paste instead ...

    >I realise this CPU runs hotter than the earlier P4's but running
    >under some load at 76 Celsius seems a bit too hot to me?
    >
    >My room temp is about 28C,

    thats normal for that & from onDie diode reading + stock cooling ..

    >on startup the case temp is about 35C and the CPU 64C, the CPU
    >temp dropped shortly after to around 52C. The core voltage is
    >between 1.32v - 1.38v but usually closer to 1.32v so the max
    >of 1.4v is not being exceeded to create extra heat.

    thats Ok

    >At idle the case temp averages 35-40C and CPU 50-55C.
    >On Win2000, running only Seti, the case is 41-45C and CPU 73-76C.
    >Usual CPU fan speed varies between 2800-3100.
    >These temps are with the left side case panel removed.
    >A Seti unit took 3hrs 45mins so the CPU appears to run OK.

    if Ok, leave it ...

    >If I replace the side panel the slight increase in heat causes
    >the CPU fan to rise to 5200+ and the noise drives me nuts :)

    he he ...

    >Is this too hot for this CPU?

    according to some Net tests it can be normal, if you know how much
    heat that Cpu generates! IMHO It would be better if you took an
    ordinary P4 ... not Prescott (first ones now) ...

    -- Regards, SPAJKY ®
    E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

    Spajky, Apr 6, 2004
  13. Brian

    Noozer Guest

    > Hi,
    >
    > I haven't even tried overclocking this CPU yet as at stock
    > standard settings it seems to be far too hot to start with.

    > I realise this CPU runs hotter than the earlier P4's but running
    > under some load at 76 Celsius seems a bit too hot to me?

    Way too hot!

    Either these numbers are just wrong (ie, bad software doing the reporting)
    or you've got something astray - badly mounted heatsink, voltage set to high
    for the processor, CPU fan not running properly.

    Reset the BIOS settings to defaults. This should get any out of whack
    voltage settings, etc. corrected. You may even consider flashing to the
    latest BIOS as it may correct the temp readings.

    Pull off the heatsink, remove the thermal stuff and replace with new
    compound, not too thick, and ensure the sink clips back in flat and secure.
    You may want to check that the whole mount looks normal and that the CPU is
    sitting flat in the socket.

    Noozer, Apr 6, 2004
  14. On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 13:34:56 +1000, Brian <brian@send_spam_here.org> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I haven't even tried overclocking this CPU yet as at stock
    >standard settings it seems to be far too hot to start with.
    >
    >I am running a Prescott CPU on an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe motherboard
    >using the latest BIOS 1016, CPU is a 2.80E, running at 2800Mhz,
    >using the 800Mhz FSB with Dual 3200 DDR. The CPU is mounted
    >with the stock Intel heatsink/fan and thermal tape.
    >Most BIOS settings are either "Standard" or "Auto" and HT enabled.
    >
    >I realise this CPU runs hotter than the earlier P4's but running
    >under some load at 76 Celsius seems a bit too hot to me?
    >
    >My room temp is about 28C, and using Motherboard Monitor 5,
    >on startup the case temp is about 35C and the CPU 64C, the CPU
    >temp dropped shortly after to around 52C. The core voltage is
    >between 1.32v - 1.38v but usually closer to 1.32v so the max
    >of 1.4v is not being exceeded to create extra heat.
    >
    >At idle the case temp averages 35-40C and CPU 50-55C.
    >On Win2000, running only Seti, the case is 41-45C and CPU 73-76C.
    >Usual CPU fan speed varies between 2800-3100.
    >These temps are with the left side case panel removed.
    >A Seti unit took 3hrs 45mins so the CPU appears to run OK.
    >
    >If I replace the side panel the slight increase in heat causes
    >the CPU fan to rise to 5200+ and the noise drives me nuts :)
    >
    >Is this too hot for this CPU?
    >Does anyone else have experience with this CPU etc?
    >
    >Brian

    What a Dork if you have read the reviews you would have known they are utter
    CRAP..

    Woger MKII @wogerbox.co.nz, Apr 7, 2004
  15. Brian

    Jason Brock Guest

    Kidna Sounds like your stock hs/f is bad or something, being that your case
    temps are average. I would try either getting a performance fan/hs or
    replaing the stock. **** the other people that are haters.

    Jason Brock, Apr 7, 2004
  16. On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 23:44:10 GMT, "Jason Brock" <>
    wrote:

    >Kidna Sounds like your stock hs/f is bad or something, being that your case
    >temps are average. I would try either getting a performance fan/hs or
    >replaing the stock. **** the other people that are haters.

    Read that Facts its a CRAP CPU..

    Yes I am a P4 users but I will never get a CRAP Prescott that even Runs slow
    as well.

    Woger MKII @wogerbox.co.nz, Apr 7, 2004
  17. Brian

    Phil Weldon Guest

    Perhaps because you are rather slow yourself?

    Phil Weldon, Apr 7, 2004
  18. Brian

    Noozer Guest

    > On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 23:44:10 GMT, "Jason Brock" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Kidna Sounds like your stock hs/f is bad or something, being that your

    case
    > >temps are average. I would try either getting a performance fan/hs or
    > >replaing the stock. **** the other people that are haters.

    > Read that Facts its a CRAP CPU..
    >
    > Yes I am a P4 users but I will never get a CRAP Prescott that even Runs

    slow
    > as well.

    The only crap around here is the stuff between your ears.

    A) Learn to trim your posts.
    B) Tell us WHY you think it's crap?

    For me, the only thing an AMD chip does for me faster than a P4 chip is go
    into the garbage. I've run both and I'm happier on my P4.

    Noozer, Apr 7, 2004
  19. On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 03:18:48 GMT, "Phil Weldon" <>
    wrote:

    >Perhaps because you are rather slow yourself?

    What a Utter Stupid post, don't you have a brain..?

    Woger MKII @wogerbox.co.nz, Apr 7, 2004
  20. Brian

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Phil Weldon wrote:
    > Perhaps because you are rather slow yourself?

    Rather slow? That is the understatement of the year. This guy is the bane of
    the NZ newsgroups, especially nz.comp. He has changed his nick *at least*
    100 times in the last five years to try to get out of peoples killfiles, he
    just did it again a few days ago. (There is a guy in nz.comp who has made a
    case-study of him and has all his alias's documented).

    He is an old, senile idiot who's favourite words are: crap, teenager,
    playstation and little boy. (Draw your own conclucions)

    He is fanatically pro-intel yet knows nothing about anything first-hand. He
    reads reviews on the net, gets them wrong most of the time, and then goes
    around quoting them as if they were the word of God. He clams to be a
    trained main-frame engineer but I doubt he could plug a keyed IDE cable in
    correctly. Now and again he has a lapse and asks the most basic,
    any-fool-could-work-it-out question in nz.comp. I tell ya, this guy is a
    laugh a minute.

    I had a run-in with him last week. He told me (us, nz.comp) that his
    FX5900XT was the best FX5900 you could get. I told him, in nVidia land, XT
    means cut-down budget stuff. He then called me a know-nothing idiot and
    posted several websites that backed me up.

    His real name is Roger Sheppard and he lives in Wellington, New Zealand. We
    would like to get him deported, he's originally from the UK. However, until
    we actually catch him with his playstation and little boys we are just
    content to keep him killfiled, even if it means updating the killfile around
    once every three weeks when he changes his nick.

    BTW, it's usually a waste of time arguing with him, he and logic aren't
    aquainted.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Apr 7, 2004