    not be OC-ing this to the hilt and I'm not planning on using a water cooled
    setup. Thoughts?

    Ron

    Ron Krebs, Sep 8, 2006

  2. Ron Krebs

    Chingy Guest

    $150 extra dollor is well worth the performance you are going to get from
    it..

    In almost 90% benchmarks E6600 beaten or equaled AMD fx 62 or P4 EE, its not
    just 4mb cash its shared cache meaning if core 1 is finished processing
    threads from its current cache it will look in core 2 cache to process any
    threads before looking into system RAM thus reducing lot of processing time
    as seen in many benchmarks. You don't need water cooling with it either
    stock cooling is just fine for the task you are gonna do plus additional
    taks you can do such as video editing and doing something else at the same
    time.

    Just take a look at why core 2 duo is better on www.google.com
    My 2 cents spend extra $140 and you won't be disappointed. Also speed in
    Mhz doesn't always gives better performance as it used to be in previous P4
    models.

    Cheers
    :)

    Chingy, Sep 8, 2006

  3. Ron Krebs

    Gojira Guest

    "Ron Krebs" <> wrote in message
    > Just briefly, besides the 1066 vs 800 FSB and the 4MB vs 2MB L2 cache, why
    > would I go with the Conroe rather than the Pressler? Or are those two
    > factors worth the extra $140? The D950 is 3.2GHz and the E6600 is 2.4.

    I'm
    > not a multitasker per se, but I do occasional video/photo editing. I will
    > not be OC-ing this to the hilt and I'm not planning on using a water

    cooled
    > setup. Thoughts?
    >
    > Ron

    The E6600 is faster,cooler running,and more energy efficent.GHz really isn't
    a factor with dual cores they way it used to be with older models.
    The 6600 will equal or outperform AMD's top of the line FX62.

    Gojira, Sep 8, 2006
  4. Ron Krebs

    Ron Krebs Guest

    "Gojira" <> wrote in message

    > "Ron Krebs" <> wrote in message
    > > Just briefly, besides the 1066 vs 800 FSB and the 4MB vs 2MB L2 cache,

    why
    > > would I go with the Conroe rather than the Pressler? Or are those two
    > > factors worth the extra $140? The D950 is 3.2GHz and the E6600 is 2.4.

    > I'm
    > > not a multitasker per se, but I do occasional video/photo editing. I

    will
    > > not be OC-ing this to the hilt and I'm not planning on using a water

    > cooled
    > > setup. Thoughts?
    > >
    > > Ron
    > >

    > The E6600 is faster,cooler running,and more energy efficent.GHz really

    isn't
    > a factor with dual cores they way it used to be with older models.
    > The 6600 will equal or outperform AMD's top of the line FX62.

    Ok, one more quick question which may be a bit OT. The system RAM. Is the
    speed of the RAM a function of the motherboard, CPU, or both? The board I'm
    getting has 1066MHz FSB and I know the E6600 can operate at that speed. But
    the board mfg says that it can handle PC6400 DDR2 RAM which would be 667
    RAM. Now if the board only goes 1066 wouldn't that mean that you'd only get
    533 RAM to fill the slots since 533X2 is 1066? I mean wouldn't you need a
    mobo that is capable of 1333MHz FSB to realize the full potential of DDR2
    667? Thanks again.

    Ron

    Ron Krebs, Sep 8, 2006
  5. Ron Krebs

    DaveW Guest

    The D950 runs MUCH hotter natively and has a far more inefficient internal
    pathway than the Conroe's. GHz for GHz the Conroe's will outperform the
    Pressler's by a wide margin.

    --
    DaveW

    ----------------

    DaveW, Sep 9, 2006
  6. Ron Krebs wrote:
    > Just briefly, besides the 1066 vs 800 FSB and the 4MB vs 2MB L2 cache, why
    > would I go with the Conroe rather than the Pressler? Or are those two
    > factors worth the extra $140? The D950 is 3.2GHz and the E6600 is 2.4. I'm
    > not a multitasker per se, but I do occasional video/photo editing. I will
    > not be OC-ing this to the hilt and I'm not planning on using a water cooled
    > setup. Thoughts?

    I just went 6600, lower power, faster (results, not clock speed), new
    tech vs. tech at end-of-life. Unless the cost is a deal breaker, I would
    go 6600. Best reason yet, Intel says the quad core will drop in to
    replace the 6600/6700. Modulo a BIOS upgrade I think it's likely. Big
    cache will really help photo work, less memory bus contention.

    Some boards let you o/c the memory independently of the CPU. I just got
    some DDR675 (PC5400) RAM, and I plan to try that after the system burns
    in. Just came UPS this afternoon, details Monday.

    My business reason for this system was building Linux kernels, but some
    video work is probably in the future.

    --
    Bill Davidsen <>

    Bill Davidsen, Nov 9, 2006