    Anyone have experience with reliable on-line source of low cost print
    cartridges? Cartridges for my old HP printer cost more than the
    printer today and recycled cartridges are not to be found in local stores.

    Frank, Mar 2, 2011

  2. Frank

    SC Tom Guest

    "Frank" <> wrote in message
    news:ikm1e0$cmk$-september.org...
    > Anyone have experience with reliable on-line source of low cost print
    > cartridges? Cartridges for my old HP printer cost more than the printer
    > today and recycled cartridges are not to be found in local stores.

    Depending on the model printer that you have, it may not recognize refilled
    cartridges, and will give you an almost constant no ink/low ink warning. I
    tried a couple of different companies for ink for my old HP AIO and wasn't
    real happy with the life of the black or the color cartridges. I didn't
    track it by "pages per", but from install time to replacement time seemed a
    lot shorter than with new HP cartridges. I don't do a lot of printing, but I
    was disappointed in the life of their cartridges considering the cost I paid
    versus the cost of a new HP one.
    That AIO finally broke down, and I bought another HP (I like their quality,
    both mechanically and print-wise) and plan on using only new HP cartridges
    in it, even if they are a bit pricey.

    That said, I did a comparison between numerous companies and printer models,
    comparing the stated pages per cartridge against user reviews. Kodak and
    Canon seemed to have the worst ratings of not living up to the stated
    cartridge life, and Lexmark and HP were at least more honest (it seemed) of
    lasting as stated or exceeding it. Their cartridges on average cost more per
    cartridge, but not that much more (if any) per page. Kodak and HP seemed to
    give a better picture using less ink than the others.

    Of course, this was averaged over a number of different printers- YMMV :)
    --
    SC Tom

    SC Tom, Mar 2, 2011

  3. Frank

    BillW50 Guest

    On 3/2/2011 12:14 PM, Frank wrote:
    > Anyone have experience with reliable on-line source of low cost print
    > cartridges? Cartridges for my old HP printer cost more than the printer
    > today and recycled cartridges are not to be found in local stores.

    I don't know about where you live, but by me there are a couple of mom
    and pop shops who refills printer cartridges. There might be one or two
    near you too.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era)

    BillW50, Mar 2, 2011
  4. Frank

    BillW50 Guest

    On 3/2/2011 12:42 PM, SC Tom wrote:

    > "Frank" <> wrote in message
    >> Anyone have experience with reliable on-line source of low cost print
    >> cartridges? Cartridges for my old HP printer cost more than the
    >> printer today and recycled cartridges are not to be found in local
    >> stores.

    > Depending on the model printer that you have, it may not recognize
    > refilled cartridges, and will give you an almost constant no ink/low ink
    > warning. I tried a couple of different companies for ink for my old HP
    > AIO and wasn't real happy with the life of the black or the color
    > cartridges. I didn't track it by "pages per", but from install time to
    > replacement time seemed a lot shorter than with new HP cartridges. I
    > don't do a lot of printing, but I was disappointed in the life of their
    > cartridges considering the cost I paid versus the cost of a new HP one.
    > That AIO finally broke down, and I bought another HP (I like their
    > quality, both mechanically and print-wise) and plan on using only new HP
    > cartridges in it, even if they are a bit pricey.
    >
    > That said, I did a comparison between numerous companies and printer
    > models, comparing the stated pages per cartridge against user reviews.
    > Kodak and Canon seemed to have the worst ratings of not living up to the
    > stated cartridge life, and Lexmark and HP were at least more honest (it
    > seemed) of lasting as stated or exceeding it. Their cartridges on
    > average cost more per cartridge, but not that much more (if any) per
    > page. Kodak and HP seemed to give a better picture using less ink than
    > the others.
    >
    > Of course, this was averaged over a number of different printers- YMMV :)

    Did those print cartridges have the print head as part of the cartridge,
    Tom? As those disposable print heads don't seem to last too long.

    BillW50, Mar 2, 2011
  5. Frank

    Frank Guest

    On 3/2/2011 1:42 PM, SC Tom wrote:

    > "Frank" <> wrote in message
    >> Anyone have experience with reliable on-line source of low cost print
    >> cartridges? Cartridges for my old HP printer cost more than the
    >> printer today and recycled cartridges are not to be found in local
    >> stores.

    > Depending on the model printer that you have, it may not recognize
    > refilled cartridges, and will give you an almost constant no ink/low ink
    > warning. I tried a couple of different companies for ink for my old HP
    > AIO and wasn't real happy with the life of the black or the color
    > cartridges. I didn't track it by "pages per", but from install time to
    > replacement time seemed a lot shorter than with new HP cartridges. I
    > don't do a lot of printing, but I was disappointed in the life of their
    > cartridges considering the cost I paid versus the cost of a new HP one.
    > That AIO finally broke down, and I bought another HP (I like their
    > quality, both mechanically and print-wise) and plan on using only new HP
    > cartridges in it, even if they are a bit pricey.
    >
    > That said, I did a comparison between numerous companies and printer
    > models, comparing the stated pages per cartridge against user reviews.
    > Kodak and Canon seemed to have the worst ratings of not living up to the
    > stated cartridge life, and Lexmark and HP were at least more honest (it
    > seemed) of lasting as stated or exceeding it. Their cartridges on
    > average cost more per cartridge, but not that much more (if any) per
    > page. Kodak and HP seemed to give a better picture using less ink than
    > the others.
    >
    > Of course, this was averaged over a number of different printers- YMMV :)

    My old HP printer had done well with recycled cartridges from Kmart and
    Walmart but now they only have new cartridges. HP over the years has
    made their cartridges practically impossible to re-ink and their newer
    printers, as you say, and my wife has, reject all but their own. It's
    like a guy who worked in color film R&D years ago at Kodak told me that
    the company sells its cameras practically at cost and make all their
    money off the color film.

    Yesterday, I got a spam email on print cartridges and they said they
    were selling a 2 pack of HP15 for about 1/3 list. I don't trust this
    kind of email and thought I would ask experienced buyers here. I don't
    need high quality print on this printer.

    Frank, Mar 2, 2011
  6. Frank

    Frank Guest

    Frank, Mar 2, 2011
  7. Frank

    Lee Guest

    This is who I use and they have been great so far. I have a cannon
    pixma normal cost of cartridge at retail 12+ change and from here I
    get all 6 for around 30 if I remember correctly. quality looks great
    for what I do with it and I have done pics and they looked good also.

    Hope this works out for you and they are pretty fast at deliver and
    also post like 10% off.

    Frank wrote:

    > My old HP printer had done well with recycled cartridges from Kmart and
    > Walmart but now they only have new cartridges. HP over the years has
    > made their cartridges practically impossible to re-ink and their newer
    > printers, as you say, and my wife has, reject all but their own. It's
    > like a guy who worked in color film R&D years ago at Kodak told me that
    > the company sells its cameras practically at cost and make all their
    > money off the color film.
    >
    > Yesterday, I got a spam email on print cartridges and they said they
    > were selling a 2 pack of HP15 for about 1/3 list. I don't trust this
    > kind of email and thought I would ask experienced buyers here. I don't
    > need high quality print on this printer.

    --
    Lee (in Florida)US Army Retired
    Georgie Boy Cruise Master

    Lee, Mar 2, 2011
  8. Frank

    Frank Guest

    On 3/2/2011 4:00 PM, Lee wrote:
    > This is who I use and they have been great so far. I have a cannon pixma
    > normal cost of cartridge at retail 12+ change and from here I
    > get all 6 for around 30 if I remember correctly. quality looks great
    > for what I do with it and I have done pics and they looked good also.
    >

    > Hope this works out for you and they are pretty fast at deliver and
    > also post like 10% off.

    Thanks, that's what I was looking for.
    Frank

    Frank, Mar 2, 2011
  9. Frank

    SC Tom Guest

    "BillW50" <> wrote in message
    > On 3/2/2011 12:42 PM, SC Tom wrote:
    >>
    >> "Frank" <> wrote in message
    >>> Anyone have experience with reliable on-line source of low cost print
    >>> cartridges? Cartridges for my old HP printer cost more than the
    >>> printer today and recycled cartridges are not to be found in local
    >>> stores.

    >> Depending on the model printer that you have, it may not recognize
    >> refilled cartridges, and will give you an almost constant no ink/low ink
    >> warning. I tried a couple of different companies for ink for my old HP
    >> AIO and wasn't real happy with the life of the black or the color
    >> cartridges. I didn't track it by "pages per", but from install time to
    >> replacement time seemed a lot shorter than with new HP cartridges. I
    >> don't do a lot of printing, but I was disappointed in the life of their
    >> cartridges considering the cost I paid versus the cost of a new HP one.
    >> That AIO finally broke down, and I bought another HP (I like their
    >> quality, both mechanically and print-wise) and plan on using only new HP
    >> cartridges in it, even if they are a bit pricey.
    >>
    >> That said, I did a comparison between numerous companies and printer
    >> models, comparing the stated pages per cartridge against user reviews.
    >> Kodak and Canon seemed to have the worst ratings of not living up to the
    >> stated cartridge life, and Lexmark and HP were at least more honest (it
    >> seemed) of lasting as stated or exceeding it. Their cartridges on
    >> average cost more per cartridge, but not that much more (if any) per
    >> page. Kodak and HP seemed to give a better picture using less ink than
    >> the others.
    >>
    >> Of course, this was averaged over a number of different printers- YMMV
    >> :)

    > Did those print cartridges have the print head as part of the cartridge,
    > Tom? As those disposable print heads don't seem to last too long.
    >
    > --
    > Bill
    > Gateway M465e ('06 era)
    > Centrino Core Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

    I don't believe so. These were all low to mid-range printers. Since I have
    the need for a lot of documents and pictures that need printing, I tend to
    shy away from the higher end ones. The one I settled on is an HP DeskJet
    3050 since it was wireless and compatible with my Win7 and XP systems. It
    was ~$65 at Wallyworld, and the cartridges are $58 for both 61XL's. Probably
    cheaper in the long run to throw it away and buy a new one when the ink runs
    out :)
    --
    SC Tom

    SC Tom, Mar 3, 2011
  10. Frank

    Frank Guest

    On 3/2/2011 10:53 PM, SC Tom wrote:

    > "BillW50" <> wrote in message
    >> On 3/2/2011 12:42 PM, SC Tom wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Frank" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Depending on the model printer that you have, it may not recognize
    >>> refilled cartridges, and will give you an almost constant no ink/low ink
    >>> warning. I tried a couple of different companies for ink for my old HP
    >>> AIO and wasn't real happy with the life of the black or the color
    >>> cartridges. I didn't track it by "pages per", but from install time to
    >>> replacement time seemed a lot shorter than with new HP cartridges. I
    >>> don't do a lot of printing, but I was disappointed in the life of their
    >>> cartridges considering the cost I paid versus the cost of a new HP one.
    >>> That AIO finally broke down, and I bought another HP (I like their
    >>> quality, both mechanically and print-wise) and plan on using only new HP
    >>> cartridges in it, even if they are a bit pricey.
    >>>
    >>> That said, I did a comparison between numerous companies and printer
    >>> models, comparing the stated pages per cartridge against user reviews.
    >>> Kodak and Canon seemed to have the worst ratings of not living up to the
    >>> stated cartridge life, and Lexmark and HP were at least more honest (it
    >>> seemed) of lasting as stated or exceeding it. Their cartridges on
    >>> average cost more per cartridge, but not that much more (if any) per
    >>> page. Kodak and HP seemed to give a better picture using less ink than
    >>> the others.
    >>>
    >>> Of course, this was averaged over a number of different printers-
    >>> YMMV :)

    >> Did those print cartridges have the print head as part of the
    >> cartridge, Tom? As those disposable print heads don't seem to last too
    >> long.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Bill
    >> Gateway M465e ('06 era)
    >> Centrino Core Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

    > I don't believe so. These were all low to mid-range printers. Since I
    > have the need for a lot of documents and pictures that need printing, I
    > tend to shy away from the higher end ones. The one I settled on is an HP
    > DeskJet 3050 since it was wireless and compatible with my Win7 and XP
    > systems. It was ~$65 at Wallyworld, and the cartridges are $58 for both
    > 61XL's. Probably cheaper in the long run to throw it away and buy a new
    > one when the ink runs out :)

    I tried to find it but believe new printers come with lower capacity
    print cartridges and according to this article:
    http://www.streetdirectory.com/travel_guide/121438/printers/ink_cartridge_capacity.html
    Newer printers use cartridges with less capacity.
    I have personally seen an ink recipe for print cartridges and the ink
    ingredients were not expensive. The printer manufacturers are screwing us.

    Frank, Mar 3, 2011
  11. Frank

    SC Tom Guest

    "Frank" <> wrote in message

    > I tried to find it but believe new printers come with lower capacity print
    > cartridges and according to this article:
    > http://www.streetdirectory.com/travel_guide/121438/printers/ink_cartridge_capacity.html
    > Newer printers use cartridges with less capacity.
    > I have personally seen an ink recipe for print cartridges and the ink
    > ingredients were not expensive. The printer manufacturers are screwing
    > us.

    I'm aware of that. Generally, I've found with the HP and Canon inkjet
    printers I've had that they are between half and three quarters full when
    new. Friends of mine seemed to think Lexmark printers had cartridges with
    less than half a load when new.
    It's called capitalism :) They'll make as much of a profit as the market
    will give them. I think the first company to come out with a quality printer
    with a low cost quality replacement cartridge will make more money in the
    long run than the current ones. Of course, their ad campaign will have to be
    phenomenal.
    The comparisons I was making was on the full sized replacement cartridges,
    not with the included cartridges in a new printer.
    --
    SC Tom

    SC Tom, Mar 3, 2011
  12. Frank

    Frank Guest

    On Mar 3, 11:50 am, "SC Tom" <> wrote:
    > "Frank" <> wrote in message

    > > I tried to find it but believe new printers come with lower capacity print
    > > cartridges and according to this article:
    > >http://www.streetdirectory.com/travel_guide/121438/printers/ink_cartr...
    > > Newer printers use cartridges with less capacity.
    > > I have personally seen an ink recipe for print cartridges and the ink
    > > ingredients were not expensive.  The printer manufacturers are screwing
    > > us.

    > I'm aware of that. Generally, I've found with the HP and Canon inkjet
    > printers I've had that they are between half and three quarters full when
    > new. Friends of mine seemed to think Lexmark printers had cartridges with
    > less than half a load when new.
    > It's called capitalism :) They'll make as much of a profit as the market
    > will give them. I think the first company to come out with a quality printer
    > with a low cost quality replacement cartridge will make more money in the
    > long run than the current ones. Of course, their ad campaign will have tobe
    > phenomenal.
    > The comparisons I was making was on the full sized replacement cartridges,
    > not with the included cartridges in a new printer.
    > --
    > SC Tom

    I have nothing against capitalism and profits, in fact, I'm in favor
    of it.
    But, I try to get top value for my money, even people I do work for.
    I've got 3 HP printers in the house, one belonging to someone I
    consult for, and, I've even used reconditioned cartridges for them in
    spite of the fact that they reimburse me.

    Frank

    Frank, Mar 3, 2011