Printer "disconnecting"

Discussion in 'HP' started by Gail Gurman, Feb 15, 2005.

  1. Gail Gurman

    Gail Gurman Guest

    I have an OfficeJet 6110. It is connected to my PC by USB cable through a
    USB hub. My PC is running Win2k.

    The HP software includes a program that puts an icon in the systray that
    shows the status of the printer. When I boot, the icon looks normal and
    reports that the printer is ready. But something triggers it eventually to
    display an error flag. If I double-click it, it shows a message saying that
    the printer is disconnected (it's not--I can still print to it).

    I think that the thing that triggers it is accessing files on my notebook
    computer through my wireless network.

    Does anyone know why this is happening and/or how to fix it? It's not a big
    deal, but if I can solve this problem, it might help to solve another
    problem I'm having that has nothing to do with the printer.

    Thanks in advance!

    --
    Gail Gurman

    http://www.gurman.org/

    Gail Gurman, Feb 15, 2005

  2. Gail Gurman

    Ben Myers Guest

    I can't make any suggestions with absolute certainty of success. But I have had
    similar unpleasant experiences with USB printers. There are a number of factors
    which can change the behavior of USB devices and the computers to which they are
    attached. All of them have to do with quality of the electronic USB signals.

    1. Length of USB cable. Some devices won't operate correctly with a long
    lower-quality USB cable, because of loss of strength of USB signal.
    2. Quality of USB cable. There are cheap ones and good quality ones.
    3. USB hub, which causes deterioration of signals.

    Try the printer without the USB hub in the middle and see what happens.

    Or... the printer drivers and supporting drivers are screwed up. Wouldn't be
    the first time... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 15, 2005