    the problem still remains-----blank spaces where words are colored.

    Any help in solving this problem would be most appreciated!!

    John Decker
    John Decker, Oct 17, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    John Decker <> wrote:

    > When I type a letter in either AppleWorks 6.xx or TextEdit and bold,
    > italicize, and underline words and color various other word in the
    > letter and look at the results in Print Preview everything looks
    > great, but when I print the letter the colored words have
    > disappeared.

    Sure sounds like your colored ink cartridge is either out of ink or not
    printing for some reasons. Either that or your printer is a bigot.

    Can you print other color documents?

    ----j7y

    --
    jere7my tho?rpe "Clever stratagems are quite beyond my
    440-775-1522 powers, but if it is rank foolishness
    jere7my tho?rpe, Oct 17, 2004

  3. John Decker

    John Decker Guest

    In article <>, jere7my tho?rpe
    says...

    >In article <>,
    > John Decker <> wrote:
    >
    >> When I type a letter in either AppleWorks 6.xx or TextEdit and bold,
    >> italicize, and underline words and color various other word in the
    >> letter and look at the results in Print Preview everything looks
    >> great, but when I print the letter the colored words have
    >> disappeared.

    >Sure sounds like your colored ink cartridge is either out of ink or not
    >printing for some reasons. Either that or your printer is a bigot.
    >
    >Can you print other color documents?
    >
    > ----j7y

    The colored ink cartridge is a new one. I tried to print a webpage but the
    colored sections of the
    webpage are simply not present. I am wondering if the communication by Airport
    extream card and
    Airport Express base station is the problem? The USB cable from the printer is
    connected to the Airport
    Express base station. Damn, I dislike OS 10.3.5, it has been nothing but
    problems. Mac OS 9.1 was so
    simple and direct that I never had any problems.

    John Decker
    John Decker, Oct 17, 2004
  4. In article <>,
    John Decker <> wrote:

    > The colored ink cartridge is a new one. I tried to print a webpage
    > but the colored sections of the webpage are simply not present.

    Are you sure it's installed correctly? Have you tried printing a test
    page, or checking with the printer utility to see if it is detecting the
    ink cartridge?

    > I am wondering if the communication by Airport extream card and
    > Airport Express base station is the problem?

    That seems unlikely, though I'm not an expert; I don't think the print
    job is transmitted as a "color" bit and a "B&W" bit. It's transmitted
    all at once, then the printer decodes it.

    ----j7y

    jere7my tho?rpe, Oct 17, 2004
  5. John Decker

    John Decker Guest

    In article <>, jere7my tho?rpe
    says...

    >In article <>,
    > John Decker <> wrote:
    >
    >> The colored ink cartridge is a new one. I tried to print a webpage
    >> but the colored sections of the webpage are simply not present.

    >Are you sure it's installed correctly? Have you tried printing a test
    >page, or checking with the printer utility to see if it is detecting the
    >ink cartridge?
    >
    >> I am wondering if the communication by Airport extream card and
    >> Airport Express base station is the problem?

    >That seems unlikely, though I'm not an expert; I don't think the print
    >job is transmitted as a "color" bit and a "B&W" bit. It's transmitted
    >all at once, then the printer decodes it.
    >
    > ----j7y

    You are right. I printed a test page and it was all black, no color. I checked
    and the color cartridge is
    seated properely. I removed it and reseated it and snaped the plastic top holder
    securely on it and
    again, the test page printed all black. I am indeed confused?? Any more
    suggestions??

    John Decker
    John Decker, Oct 17, 2004
  6. In article <>,
    John Decker <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > jere7my tho?rpe says...
    > >Are you sure it's installed correctly? Have you tried printing a test
    > >page, or checking with the printer utility to see if it is detecting the
    > >ink cartridge?

    > You are right. I printed a test page and it was all black, no color.
    > I checked and the color cartridge is seated properely. I removed it
    > and reseated it and snaped the plastic top holder securely on it and
    > again, the test page printed all black. I am indeed confused?? Any
    > more suggestions??

    As far as I know, test pages come straight out of the printer's memory;
    your computer isn't involved at all, and you should be able to print the
    test page without it being connected. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong
    here.) So the problem is probably in the hardware, the printer or the
    cartridge. My only suggestion would be to connect it to another
    computer to make sure the behavior is repeatable, then take it in to be
    serviced; it could be something as old-school as a loose wire or a bad
    ink cartridge.

    ----j7y

    jere7my tho?rpe, Oct 17, 2004
  7. John Decker

    John Decker Guest

    In article <192ek13ibns78.ur2yt2p5wxu3$>, Barry Jones says...

    >On 16 Oct 2004 23:25:47 -0700, John Decker wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>, jere7my tho?rpe
    >> says...

    >>>Are you sure it's installed correctly? Have you tried printing a test
    >>>page, or checking with the printer utility to see if it is detecting the
    >>>ink cartridge?

    >>>That seems unlikely, though I'm not an expert; I don't think the print
    >>>job is transmitted as a "color" bit and a "B&W" bit. It's transmitted
    >>>all at once, then the printer decodes it.
    >>>
    >>> ----j7y

    >>You are right. I printed a test page and it was all black, no color. I checked
    >> and the color cartridge is
    >>seated properely. I removed it and reseated it and snaped the plastic top holder
    >> securely on it and
    >> again, the test page printed all black. I am indeed confused?? Any more
    >> suggestions??
    >>
    >> John Decker

    >Try removing the tape over the print head on the cartridge.

    Barry...I have checked that detail. I believe that it is probably the printer
    that is defective. I also used a
    new color cartridge and the same thing happen again, which narrows it down to
    the printer. Thanks for
    everyones help!!!!!

    John Decker
    John Decker, Oct 17, 2004
  8. John Decker

    Tim Murray Guest

    In the socket where the cartridge sits you will probably see some electrical
    connections. Try cleaning them with a cotton swap and a bit of water. The
    hard-cores use rubbing alcohol, but some manufacturers say not to.
    Tim Murray, Oct 18, 2004