Problem adding HDD to IDE1 after setting up RAID 1 on IED3 & 4

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by bacoms, Sep 8, 2006.

  1. bacoms

    bacoms Guest

    I built my PC a few years ago around the Soyo K7V Dragon Plus mobo.
    Since almost day one I've had a couple of 80GB Maxtors on IDE3 & 4
    configured for RAID 1. IDE1 was empty and my CD writer was/is connected
    to IDE2.

    Just recently I took a working 120GB Maxtor HDD plus cable off my other
    PC and installed it in IDE1 on this PC. On rebooting to the BIOS and
    looking to see what has been detected, there is no sign of the drive in
    IDE1; only the CD writer in IDE2.

    The OS still boots just fine off RAID but I can't access the HDD in
    IDE1.

    I've trawled this and other forums and emailed Soyo on Monday (no reply
    as yet) and can find nothing to suggest that what I'm trying to do is
    not possible. (Quite the opposite, in fact)

    Any thoughts/pointers would be much appreciated.

    1. Advertising

  2. Rick Hallman

    Rick Hallman Guest

    Is the HD jumperd properly for the installation? (Master/Slave/Single/Cable
    Select) Is IDE 1 configured properly in the BIOS? Are the Power and Ribbon
    Cables (sometimes reversible) connected properly and seated fully. Have you
    checked for power on the 4 pin connector you are using? That's about all I
    know that can go wrong with a "good drive". BTW:(What file system is on the
    added drive? Fat16, Fat32 or NTFS What OS are you booting to?)

    "bacoms" <> wrote in message
    >I built my PC a few years ago around the Soyo K7V Dragon Plus mobo.
    > Since almost day one I've had a couple of 80GB Maxtors on IDE3 & 4
    > configured for RAID 1. IDE1 was empty and my CD writer was/is connected
    > to IDE2.
    >
    > Just recently I took a working 120GB Maxtor HDD plus cable off my other
    > PC and installed it in IDE1 on this PC. On rebooting to the BIOS and
    > looking to see what has been detected, there is no sign of the drive in
    > IDE1; only the CD writer in IDE2.
    >
    > The OS still boots just fine off RAID but I can't access the HDD in
    > IDE1.
    >
    > I've trawled this and other forums and emailed Soyo on Monday (no reply
    > as yet) and can find nothing to suggest that what I'm trying to do is
    > not possible. (Quite the opposite, in fact)
    >
    > Any thoughts/pointers would be much appreciated.

    1. Advertising

  3. bacoms

    bacoms Guest

    Sorry to take so long to get back but I've been on a weeks vacation.

    Your last point regarding the power connector prompted me to try again
    using a diferent connector and hey presto it's now working fine.

    It just proves that you can't assume anything when fault finding. Check
    everything.

    Many thanks for your help.

    Rick Hallman wrote:
    > Is the HD jumperd properly for the installation? (Master/Slave/Single/Cable
    > Select) Is IDE 1 configured properly in the BIOS? Are the Power and Ribbon
    > Cables (sometimes reversible) connected properly and seated fully. Have you
    > checked for power on the 4 pin connector you are using? That's about all I
    > know that can go wrong with a "good drive". BTW:(What file system is on the
    > added drive? Fat16, Fat32 or NTFS What OS are you booting to?)
    >

    > "bacoms" <> wrote in message
    > >I built my PC a few years ago around the Soyo K7V Dragon Plus mobo.
    > > Since almost day one I've had a couple of 80GB Maxtors on IDE3 & 4
    > > configured for RAID 1. IDE1 was empty and my CD writer was/is connected
    > > to IDE2.
    > >
    > > Just recently I took a working 120GB Maxtor HDD plus cable off my other
    > > PC and installed it in IDE1 on this PC. On rebooting to the BIOS and
    > > looking to see what has been detected, there is no sign of the drive in
    > > IDE1; only the CD writer in IDE2.
    > >
    > > The OS still boots just fine off RAID but I can't access the HDD in
    > > IDE1.
    > >
    > > I've trawled this and other forums and emailed Soyo on Monday (no reply
    > > as yet) and can find nothing to suggest that what I'm trying to do is
    > > not possible. (Quite the opposite, in fact)
    > >
    > > Any thoughts/pointers would be much appreciated.

  4. bacoms