Problem booting up with ASUS CUSL2 mobo

Discussion in 'Asus' started by snafu, Jun 21, 2005.

  1. snafu

    snafu Guest

    I’m trying to build an extra machinewhich I’ll most likely be using as
    a file server and I wanna make use of my old 900MHz P3 Coppermine CPU.
    I recently got an ASUS CUSL2 mobo and finally set everything up and
    when I turn on the computer nothing happens on the screen, the monitor
    stays blank as if it was in standby mode. Here is my current setup:

    ASUS CUSL2 motherboard
    P3 900MHz Coppermine CPU
    512MB PC100 168-pin DIMM RAM chip
    250W power supply
    Western Digital 30GB HDD on primary master
    CD-RW drive on primary slave
    WD 6.4GB HDD on secondary master
    WD Caviar 2.2GB HDD on secondary slave

    All the jumper settings on the mobo are left at factory default and I
    am certain that the CPU still works since it worked on another mobo I
    had. Is there any way I can fix this problem? All help will be greatly
    appreciated ^_^.

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-Problem-booting-CUSL2-mobo-ftopict57754.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=291206

    snafu, Jun 21, 2005

  2. snafu

    Rick Guest

    Are you sure the motherboard is good?

    Take it out of the case and put it on a static mat, hook a
    power supply & keyboard to it, remove all cards (except
    video card, if the motherboard has no onboard video)
    and see if you can get as far as the system bios screen.

    Rick, Jun 21, 2005

  3. snafu

    Paul Guest

    In article <>,
    snafu <> wrote:

    > I’m trying to build an extra machinewhich I’ll most likely be using as
    > a file server and I wanna make use of my old 900MHz P3 Coppermine CPU.
    > I recently got an ASUS CUSL2 mobo and finally set everything up and
    > when I turn on the computer nothing happens on the screen, the monitor
    > stays blank as if it was in standby mode. Here is my current setup:
    >
    > ASUS CUSL2 motherboard
    > P3 900MHz Coppermine CPU
    > 512MB PC100 168-pin DIMM RAM chip
    > 250W power supply
    > Western Digital 30GB HDD on primary master
    > CD-RW drive on primary slave
    > WD 6.4GB HDD on secondary master
    > WD Caviar 2.2GB HDD on secondary slave
    >
    > All the jumper settings on the mobo are left at factory default and I
    > am certain that the CPU still works since it worked on another mobo I
    > had. Is there any way I can fix this problem? All help will be greatly
    > appreciated ^_^.

    Is DSW Dip Switch set properly ? In JumperFree mode, all five
    switches must be OFF. If in Jumper mode, select switch settings
    consistent with your processor (FSB100, DRAM=100 ?). Info is in
    the downloadable manual.

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 21, 2005
  4. snafu

    snafu Guest

    Re: Re: Problem booting up with ASUS CUSL2 mobo

    "Rick" wrote:
    > Are you sure the motherboard is good?
    >
    > Take it out of the case and put it on a static mat, hook a
    > power supply & keyboard to it, remove all cards (except
    > video card, if the motherboard has no onboard video)
    > and see if you can get as far as the system bios screen.
    >
    > "snafu" <> wrote in message
    > > I'm trying to build an extra machinewhich I'll most likely

    > be using as
    > > a file server and I wanna make use of my old 900MHz P3

    > Coppermine CPU.
    > > I recently got an ASUS CUSL2 mobo and finally set everything

    > up and
    > > when I turn on the computer nothing happens on the screen,

    > the monitor
    > > stays blank as if it was in standby mode. Here is my current

    > setup:
    > >
    > > ASUS CUSL2 motherboard
    > > P3 900MHz Coppermine CPU
    > > 512MB PC100 168-pin DIMM RAM chip
    > > 250W power supply
    > > Western Digital 30GB HDD on primary master
    > > CD-RW drive on primary slave
    > > WD 6.4GB HDD on secondary master
    > > WD Caviar 2.2GB HDD on secondary slave
    > >
    > > All the jumper settings on the mobo are left at factory

    > default and I
    > > am certain that the CPU still works since it worked on

    > another mobo I
    > > had. Is there any way I can fix this problem? All help will

    > be greatly
    > > appreciated ^_^.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's request

    > standards
    > > Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-Problem-booting-CUSL2-mobo-ftopict57754.html
    > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=291206

    Unfortunately, with all other devices, cards, processor, RAM, etc,
    disconnected I still cannot get to the BIOS screen. And in response to
    Paul’s advice, I have changed the DIP switch settings to match the
    frequency settings I used in my old motherboard (where the processor
    and RAM used to be installed) and still I have no luck. So does this
    mean I got stuck with a dead mobo?

    snafu, Jun 21, 2005
  5. snafu

    Rick Guest

    "snafu" <> wrote in message news:...
    > "Rick" wrote:
    > > Are you sure the motherboard is good?
    > >
    > > Take it out of the case and put it on a static mat, hook a
    > > power supply & keyboard to it, remove all cards (except
    > > video card, if the motherboard has no onboard video)
    > > and see if you can get as far as the system bios screen.
    > >
    > > "snafu" <> wrote in message
    > > > I'm trying to build an extra machinewhich I'll most likely

    > > be using as
    > > > a file server and I wanna make use of my old 900MHz P3

    > > Coppermine CPU.
    > > > I recently got an ASUS CUSL2 mobo and finally set everything

    > > up and
    > > > when I turn on the computer nothing happens on the screen,

    > > the monitor
    > > > stays blank as if it was in standby mode. Here is my current

    > > setup:
    > > >
    > > > ASUS CUSL2 motherboard
    > > > P3 900MHz Coppermine CPU
    > > > 512MB PC100 168-pin DIMM RAM chip
    > > > 250W power supply
    > > > Western Digital 30GB HDD on primary master
    > > > CD-RW drive on primary slave
    > > > WD 6.4GB HDD on secondary master
    > > > WD Caviar 2.2GB HDD on secondary slave
    > > >
    > > > All the jumper settings on the mobo are left at factory

    > > default and I
    > > > am certain that the CPU still works since it worked on

    > > another mobo I
    > > > had. Is there any way I can fix this problem? All help will

    > > be greatly
    > > > appreciated ^_^.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's request
    > > > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet

    > > standards
    > > > Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-Problem-booting-CUSL2-mobo-ftopict57754.html
    > > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=291206

    > Unfortunately, with all other devices, cards, processor, RAM, etc,
    > disconnected I still cannot get to the BIOS screen. And in response to
    > Paul's advice, I have changed the DIP switch settings to match the
    > frequency settings I used in my old motherboard (where the processor
    > and RAM used to be installed) and still I have no luck. So does this
    > mean I got stuck with a dead mobo?

    Sure sounds like it.

    Sometimes there can be a grounding problem against the
    computer case. Have you tried following my previous
    advice?

    Rick, Jun 22, 2005
  6. snafu

    Paul Guest

    In article <>,
    snafu <> wrote:

    > "Rick" wrote:
    > > Are you sure the motherboard is good?
    > >
    > > Take it out of the case and put it on a static mat, hook a
    > > power supply & keyboard to it, remove all cards (except
    > > video card, if the motherboard has no onboard video)
    > > and see if you can get as far as the system bios screen.
    > >
    > > "snafu" <> wrote in message
    > > > I'm trying to build an extra machinewhich I'll most likely

    > > be using as
    > > > a file server and I wanna make use of my old 900MHz P3

    > > Coppermine CPU.
    > > > I recently got an ASUS CUSL2 mobo and finally set everything

    > > up and
    > > > when I turn on the computer nothing happens on the screen,

    > > the monitor
    > > > stays blank as if it was in standby mode. Here is my current

    > > setup:
    > > >
    > > > ASUS CUSL2 motherboard
    > > > P3 900MHz Coppermine CPU
    > > > 512MB PC100 168-pin DIMM RAM chip
    > > > 250W power supply
    > > > Western Digital 30GB HDD on primary master
    > > > CD-RW drive on primary slave
    > > > WD 6.4GB HDD on secondary master
    > > > WD Caviar 2.2GB HDD on secondary slave
    > > >
    > > > All the jumper settings on the mobo are left at factory

    > > default and I
    > > > am certain that the CPU still works since it worked on

    > > another mobo I
    > > > had. Is there any way I can fix this problem? All help will

    > > be greatly
    > > > appreciated ^_^.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at

    author's request
    > > > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet

    > > standards
    > > > Topic URL:

    http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-Problem-booting-CUSL2-mobo-ftopict57754.html
    > > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

    http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=291206

    > Unfortunately, with all other devices, cards, processor, RAM, etc,
    > disconnected I still cannot get to the BIOS screen. And in response to
    > Paul’s advice, I have changed the DIP switch settings to match the
    > frequency settings I used in my old motherboard (where the processor
    > and RAM used to be installed) and still I have no luck. So does this
    > mean I got stuck with a dead mobo?

    Unplug the reset switch cable, in case the reset switch is stuck on.

    The following is advanced advice, suitable if you own a voltmeter.
    Otherwise, find a good computer shop, and see if they can breathe
    life into it. YMMV. Caveat emptor. Etc.

    *************************
    I cannot see what Vcore regulator chip is used on the board. It
    looks like it is 28 pins and up near the processor socket and the
    top edge of the board. _If_ that is a HIP6019:

    http://www.intersil.com/data/fn/fn4587.pdf

    it would not take much to make that chip shut down. If the chip
    senses overcurrent, it will only make three tries before it
    gives up and shuts off. Now, why that would be happening, is a
    good question.

    In any case, if you own a voltmeter, you could try probing to
    see whether any voltage is present on the output. On page 3 of
    the Intersil document, you can see Q1 and Q2, Lout1, and Cout1.
    In the upper left corner of the picture of the CUSL2 motherboard
    in the manual, you can see seven capacitors (that would be Cout1)
    and a toroidal inductor (that would be Lout1). I would probe
    the leg of the toroidal inductor which is next to the seven
    capacitors, as a way of sampling Vcore. See if, in fact, it
    reads 1.7V when the board is powered. If it is reading 0 volts,
    that means the regulator has shut down. Now, unfortunately, if
    you just pull the processor out of the socket, the Vcore regulator
    will also shut down, because there will be an "all 1's" code on
    the VID signals. To test that Vcore is working properly, without
    the processor being present, you would need to try a wire mod
    in the S370 socket.

    These are the two 900Mhz P3 processors I can find on the Intel site:
    http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/details.asp?sSpec=SL4SD
    http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/details.asp?sSpec=SL5BS

    Page 21 of this document shows the Vcore table:
    ftp://download.intel.com/design/PentiumIII/datashts/24526408.pdf

    To make 1.7V, the code is 0111 for VID3..VID0. That means only
    VID3 needs to be grounded in the S370 socket, to test Vcore
    without the processor being present. On page 68, connecting pin
    AJ37 (VID3) to AK36 (VSS) will put logic "0" on VID3. Use a bare
    piece of wire, such as a strand of wire from an old lamp cord.
    Make sure the copper is bright and shiny, to guarantee a connection.
    Now, as that picture on page 68 is a view of the bottom of the
    processor chip, think carefully about where that corresponds to
    in a socket view. (I rotated and flipped the picture in
    Photoshop, to reduce the chances of error.)

    36 37 AJAK
    ______________ ______________
    / | | x . . | 37
    / x |AK | x . | 36
    | Pin x|AJ | |
    | View | | Socket |
    \ Pg.68 | \ View /
    \______________| \_________/

    Now, again try to measure the voltage at the junction of
    the toriodal inductor, where it meets the seven capacitors.
    You should see 1.7V on the upper leg of the toroid. At
    least that tells you Vcore is working, if it wasn't previously,
    and could indicate the processor is presenting too much of
    a load (i.e. is shorting Vcore or something).

    Whether this line of thinking is valid or not, really depends on
    what kind of regulator is used for Vcore. The regulators that
    try over and over again to run, are less likely to be a problem,
    than the ones that "give up" when they see an overload. The
    HIP6019 is particularly nasty, because a fault on any output,
    causes all outputs to shut off, making debugging where the
    problem might be, very difficult. From the HIP6019 datasheet:

    "All four outputs are monitored and protected against extreme
    overload. A sustained overload on any linear regulator
    output or an over-voltage on the PWM outputs disables all
    converters and drives the FAULT/RT pin to VCC."

    *************************

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 22, 2005
  7. snafu

    High Score Guest

    CUSL2's have onboard video. Is this what you are trying to use? If the
    previous owner of your board disabled the OB graphics to install a graphics
    card, you'll have to reset the BIOS settings by removing the battery for ~
    30 seconds - make sure you remove power to the board before you do this.
    It should default back to onboard video.

    Paul's advice about the stuck reset switch is a good one - I tricked myself
    into unnecessarily buying a new MB that way

    -G

    snafu <> wrote in news:7_291206
    :

    High Score, Jun 25, 2005