problem installing HD on IS7

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Jeff, Jun 28, 2007.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Hey

    Configuration of my computer:
    - IS7 motherboard
    - 2 IDE harddrives (on the same cable master + slave), 9 GB + 40 GB
    - 2 DVD-players (IDE on its own cable)

    Yes, my C: has a capacity of only 9GB. So today I went into a computer shop
    and bought an Serial ATA 2 harddrive (320GB). (IFAIK IS7 only supports
    Serial ATA 1, but the guy at the computer store told me IS7 is able to run
    Serial ATA 2 drives, but as Serial ATA 1)...

    I've plugged it into the computer (using SATA1 connector on motherboard).
    The bios finds the new harddrive but WindowsXP Pro don't find it. I even
    tryed to boot the computer into Ghost 2003, but Ghost could NOT see it

    My goal is to replace 9GB harddrive with the 230GB Serial ATA harddrive

    Why can't WindowsXP see my new harddrive? what am I doing wrong here?

    Any suggestions?

    Jeff

    Jeff, Jun 28, 2007

  2. Jeff

    c Guest

    Jeff wrote:
    > Hey
    >
    > Configuration of my computer:
    > - IS7 motherboard
    > - 2 IDE harddrives (on the same cable master + slave), 9 GB + 40 GB
    > - 2 DVD-players (IDE on its own cable)
    >
    > Yes, my C: has a capacity of only 9GB. So today I went into a computer shop
    > and bought an Serial ATA 2 harddrive (320GB). (IFAIK IS7 only supports
    > Serial ATA 1, but the guy at the computer store told me IS7 is able to run
    > Serial ATA 2 drives, but as Serial ATA 1)...
    >
    > I've plugged it into the computer (using SATA1 connector on motherboard).
    > The bios finds the new harddrive but WindowsXP Pro don't find it. I even
    > tryed to boot the computer into Ghost 2003, but Ghost could NOT see it
    >
    > My goal is to replace 9GB harddrive with the 230GB Serial ATA harddrive
    >
    > Why can't WindowsXP see my new harddrive? what am I doing wrong here?
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Jeff

    Do you have SP2 installed in your XP install? If not, I believe that is
    your problem. If you are trying to install a fresh copy of XP that is
    not SP2, I also believe that will not work.

    To install XP on a SATA drive, you need to have 2 things. One is a copy
    of XP with SP2 already slipstreamed in. You can make a slipstreamed
    disk using your disk and a full copy of Service Pack 2. A quick Google
    search will get you a web site that tells how to do it. Secondly you
    will need a copy of the SATA drivers for XP that you can access at the
    beginning of the XP install. Most people put them on a floppy, but I
    think you can also have them stored on a hard drive or CD is you have a
    second CD/DVD drive. At the beginning of the install, Windows will ask
    if you want to install third party drivers at the very bottom of the
    screen. It is either F5 or F6 that you need to press when the message
    comes up. It will tell you which F key it is, I just don't remember at
    the moment.

    Chris

    c, Jun 28, 2007

  3. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Yes, my computer are using SP2 of windowsxp

    I'm not planning to reinstall WindowsXP (or at least I hope I can avoid
    that). I have an Ghost 2003 image of an perfect WindowsXP SP2 installation
    on my computer. I want to use this image to restore the sytem on C:

    Okay, I'll do some google after SATA drivers for WindowsXP

    Hmm, I did a search for new hardware on my computer, this wizard discovered
    my new harddrive and it reported that it was working without problems - but
    the harddrive didn't show up in Explorer

    Jeff, Jun 28, 2007
  4. Jeff

    Eric Parker Guest

    "Jeff" <> wrote in message
    > Yes, my computer are using SP2 of windowsxp
    >
    > I'm not planning to reinstall WindowsXP (or at least I hope I can
    > avoid that). I have an Ghost 2003 image of an perfect WindowsXP SP2
    > installation on my computer. I want to use this image to restore the
    > sytem on C:
    >
    > Okay, I'll do some google after SATA drivers for WindowsXP
    >
    > Hmm, I did a search for new hardware on my computer, this wizard
    > discovered my new harddrive and it reported that it was working
    > without problems - but the harddrive didn't show up in Explorer
    >

    > "c" <> wrote in message
    >> Jeff wrote:
    >>> Hey
    >>>
    >>> Configuration of my computer:
    >>> - IS7 motherboard
    >>> - 2 IDE harddrives (on the same cable master + slave), 9 GB + 40 GB
    >>> - 2 DVD-players (IDE on its own cable)
    >>>
    >>> Yes, my C: has a capacity of only 9GB. So today I went into a
    >>> computer shop
    >>> and bought an Serial ATA 2 harddrive (320GB). (IFAIK IS7 only
    >>> supports
    >>> Serial ATA 1, but the guy at the computer store told me IS7 is able
    >>> to run
    >>> Serial ATA 2 drives, but as Serial ATA 1)...
    >>>
    >>> I've plugged it into the computer (using SATA1 connector on
    >>> motherboard).
    >>> The bios finds the new harddrive but WindowsXP Pro don't find it. I
    >>> even tryed to boot the computer into Ghost 2003, but Ghost could NOT
    >>> see it
    >>>
    >>> My goal is to replace 9GB harddrive with the 230GB Serial ATA
    >>> harddrive
    >>>
    >>> Why can't WindowsXP see my new harddrive? what am I doing wrong
    >>> here?
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?
    >>>
    >>> Jeff
    >>>

    >> Do you have SP2 installed in your XP install? If not, I believe that
    >> is your problem. If you are trying to install a fresh copy of XP that
    >> is not SP2, I also believe that will not work.
    >>
    >> To install XP on a SATA drive, you need to have 2 things. One is a
    >> copy of XP with SP2 already slipstreamed in. You can make a
    >> slipstreamed disk using your disk and a full copy of Service Pack 2.
    >> A quick Google search will get you a web site that tells how to do
    >> it. Secondly you will need a copy of the SATA drivers for XP that you
    >> can access at the beginning of the XP install. Most people put them
    >> on a floppy, but I think you can also have them stored on a hard
    >> drive or CD is you have a second CD/DVD drive. At the beginning of
    >> the install, Windows will ask if you want to install third party
    >> drivers at the very bottom of the screen. It is either F5 or F6 that
    >> you need to press when the message comes up. It will tell you which F
    >> key it is, I just don't remember at the moment.

    Does it show up in
    Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management ->
    Disk Management
    or in
    Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager ?

    It could well need partitioning/formatting for Windows but I would have
    hoped Ghost could see it.

    Eric

    --
    Remove the dross to contact me directly

    Eric Parker, Jun 28, 2007
  5. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    It shows up in both. In Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools ->
    Computer Management ->
    it shows up as unallocated

    Jeff, Jun 28, 2007
  6. Jeff wrote:

    | It shows up in both. In Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative
    | Tools -> Computer Management ->
    | it shows up as unallocated

    Hi Jeff -

    Once in Disk Management, right-click the unallocated space and choose the
    option to create and format a partition on the drive. Through this process
    you'll be able to assign a drive letter.

    New drives need to be partitioned, formatted and a drive letter assigned
    before Windows Explorer will see them.

    Jef

    Bird Janitor®, Jun 28, 2007
  7. Jeff

    c Guest

    Bird Janitor® wrote:
    > Jeff wrote:
    > |
    > | It shows up in both. In Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative
    > | Tools -> Computer Management ->
    > | it shows up as unallocated
    > |

    > Hi Jeff -
    >
    > Once in Disk Management, right-click the unallocated space and choose the
    > option to create and format a partition on the drive. Through this process
    > you'll be able to assign a drive letter.
    >
    > New drives need to be partitioned, formatted and a drive letter assigned
    > before Windows Explorer will see them.
    >
    > Jef

    Yeah I shoulda said that also, but I assumed the OP was installing
    fresh. My bad.

    Chris

    c, Jun 29, 2007