Problem reformatting hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dadams@chklaw.com, Jul 1, 2004.

  1. Guest

    I am trying to reformat a hard drive on a Gateway Pentium II computer
    using Windows NT 4.0 (sp 6). At some point, additional memory was
    added to this computer. I can only get so far with the reformat
    before I get the following message:

    "Setup has determined that one or more of your hard disks has more
    than 1024 cylinders."

    I believe this is because of the additional memory that was added to
    the computer, but I'm not totally sure. On the next screen, I get the
    following message:

    "Setup is unable to locate the hard drive partition prepared by the
    MS-DOS portion of Setup."

    Does this mean that the hard drive will have to be repartitioned in
    order to reformat the computer? If so, can you tell me how to divide
    up the space so that the computer will accept the reformat?

    Any help any of you can suggest would be greatly appreciated. Thank
    you for your time.

    Diane

    1. Advertising

  2. Bob Day

    Bob Day Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I am trying to reformat a hard drive on a Gateway Pentium II computer
    > using Windows NT 4.0 (sp 6). At some point, additional memory was
    > added to this computer. I can only get so far with the reformat
    > before I get the following message:
    >
    > "Setup has determined that one or more of your hard disks has more
    > than 1024 cylinders."

    It has nothing to do with the additional memory.

    1. Consult your mainboard manual and make sure the
    BIOS settings are correct for your hard drive.

    2. If the settings are OK, go to the mainboard manufacturer's
    website and check to see whether there's a BIOS update.

    -- Bob Day
    http://bobday.vze.com

    1. Advertising

  3. Mike Walsh

    Mike Walsh Guest

    If i recall correctly WinNT must be installed on a primary partition that is within the first 1024 cylinders (approx. 8 GB). This has nothing to do with the amount of memory.

    --

    When replying by Email include NewSGrouP (case sensitive) in Subject

    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  4. Guest

    Bob, thank you for taking the time to respond to my message. I will
    attempt this direction. Thanks so much.

    Diane

    "Bob Day" <> wrote in message news:<q2VEc.116$>...
    > <> wrote in message
    > > I am trying to reformat a hard drive on a Gateway Pentium II computer
    > > using Windows NT 4.0 (sp 6). At some point, additional memory was
    > > added to this computer. I can only get so far with the reformat
    > > before I get the following message:
    > >
    > > "Setup has determined that one or more of your hard disks has more
    > > than 1024 cylinders."

    > It has nothing to do with the additional memory.
    >
    > 1. Consult your mainboard manual and make sure the
    > BIOS settings are correct for your hard drive.
    >
    > 2. If the settings are OK, go to the mainboard manufacturer's
    > website and check to see whether there's a BIOS update.
    >
    > -- Bob Day
    > http://bobday.vze.com

  5. Ron Cook

    Ron Cook Guest

  6. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Hi

    As others have said, the RAM has no effect here.

    NT4 must be installed in the first 1024 cylinders of the disk. If you
    partition the disk with the NT setup program, as NT only supports FAT
    and NTFS and not FAT32, the highest FAT partition you can create with
    the NT installer is 2Gb.

    Install NT onto a new 2Gb FAT partition at the begining of the drive,
    which you can convert to NTFS later. Create your other partitions
    later using Disk Administrator. As long as you use NTFS, these new
    partitions can be any size.

    - Tom