Problem w/ Monitor (Dell 2005FPW)

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Monica, Nov 9, 2010.

  1. Monica

    Monica Guest

    A few weeks ago I installed a couple of software programs for my
    grandchildren. They (or one of them) wrecked havoc on my machine, making
    video/display and sound changes. I upgraded video card drivers from the
    ATI website. That didn't seem to help so I uninstalled the programs. After
    the install of the programs but BEFORE I upgraded the video card drivers, my
    monitor would do a rolling/flickering thing when I turned it on. It would
    last until the loading Windows screen. Updating the video drivers didn't
    help. At this point I'm still thinking it was the software. As time went
    on, the rolling would last a little longer. The display now rolls till
    about the time Windows is finished loading and the desktop is stable.
    Remember, it used to stop before the loading Windows screen. If the
    computer is on but monitor off for awhile and I turn the monitor back on, it
    may roll/flicker for 2-3 seconds. Now I'm thinking it's a monitor issue.
    What do you think?

    Also, in case I'm going to have to buy a new monitor in the near future, I
    would like to stick to this particular "type" of monitor. A couple years
    ago I read that a particular type of screen was far superior. There was a
    way to determine which type yours was. The 2005FPW was that kind...I just
    can't remember what the article said to look for but most monitors (barring
    the super expensive ones) did not fall in this category. And does Dell
    still sell the Ultra-Sharp series?

    Monica

    Monica, Nov 9, 2010

  2. Monica

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Nov 9, 8:13 am, "Monica" <> wrote:
    > A few weeks ago I installed a couple of software programs for my
    > grandchildren.  They (or one of them) wrecked havoc on my machine, making
    > video/display and sound changes.   I upgraded video card drivers from the
    > ATI website.  That didn't seem to help so I uninstalled the programs.  After
    > the install of the programs but BEFORE I upgraded the video card drivers,my
    > monitor would do a rolling/flickering thing when I turned it on.  It would
    > last until the loading Windows screen.  Updating the video drivers didn't
    > help.  At this point I'm still thinking it was the software.  As timewent
    > on, the rolling would last a little longer.  The display now rolls till
    > about the time Windows is finished loading and the desktop is stable.
    > Remember, it used to stop before the loading Windows screen.  If the
    > computer is on but monitor off for awhile and I turn the monitor back on,it
    > may roll/flicker for 2-3 seconds.  Now I'm thinking it's a monitor issue.
    > What do you think?
    >
    > Also, in case I'm going to have to buy a new monitor in the near future, I
    > would like to stick to this particular "type" of monitor.  A couple years
    > ago I read that a particular type of screen was far superior.  There was a
    > way to determine which type yours was.   The 2005FPW was that kind...I just
    > can't remember what the article said to look for but most monitors (barring
    > the super expensive ones) did not fall in this category.   And does Dell
    > still sell the Ultra-Sharp series?
    >
    > Monica

    I assume here you mean a vertical roll (going up or down)...I have
    never hear of this happening to a FPM only a CRT.
    Even with analog input it is converted to digital in the monitor. Are
    you using VGA,DVI, or HDMI to your monitor?

    Bob Villa, Nov 9, 2010

  3. Monica

    Monica Guest

    Bob, it's the white connector. I believe it's DVI. And yes, a vertical
    roll. You've NEVER seen this happen on a LCD??
    The fact that it does this when the monitor is first turned on (cold)
    doesn't that sound like a hardware issue to you?
    As for the type of TFT I'm looking for (if I need a new monitor) it's IPS
    (vs TN)
    The Ultra-Sharp U2410 is IPS and has great reviews but enough not so great
    to consider carefully. My hobby is photo/video editing, not gaming.

    Monica, Nov 9, 2010
  4. Monica

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:KCeCo.11696$,
    Monica typed on Tue, 9 Nov 2010 10:25:56 -0600:
    > Bob, it's the white connector. I believe it's DVI. And yes, a
    > vertical roll. You've NEVER seen this happen on a LCD??
    > The fact that it does this when the monitor is first turned on (cold)
    > doesn't that sound like a hardware issue to you?
    > As for the type of TFT I'm looking for (if I need a new monitor) it's
    > IPS (vs TN)
    > The Ultra-Sharp U2410 is IPS and has great reviews but enough not so
    > great to consider carefully. My hobby is photo/video editing, not
    > gaming.

    I too have never seen this on LCD either, just old CRT type. If you go
    straight into setup when you first turn on the computer and it happens
    there too, Windows isn't loaded here at all and it can only be a
    hardware problem.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Centrino Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

    BillW50, Nov 9, 2010
  5. Monica

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Nov 9, 10:25 am, "Monica" <> wrote:
    > Bob, it's the white connector.  I believe it's DVI.  And yes, a vertical
    > roll.  You've NEVER seen this happen on a LCD??
    > The fact that it does this when the monitor is first turned on (cold)
    > doesn't that sound like a hardware issue to you?
    > As for the type of TFT I'm looking for (if I need a new monitor) it's IPS
    > (vs TN)
    > The Ultra-Sharp U2410 is IPS and has great reviews but enough not so great
    > to consider carefully.  My hobby is photo/video editing, not gaming.
    >
    > "Bob Villa" <> wrote in message

    > On Nov 9, 8:13 am, "Monica" <> wrote:
    >

    > > A few weeks ago I installed a couple of software programs for my
    > > grandchildren. They (or one of them) wrecked havoc on my machine, making
    > > video/display and sound changes. I upgraded video card drivers from the
    > > ATI website. That didn't seem to help so I uninstalled the programs. After
    > > the install of the programs but BEFORE I upgraded the video card drivers,
    > > my
    > > monitor would do a rolling/flickering thing when I turned it on. It would
    > > last until the loading Windows screen. Updating the video drivers didn't
    > > help. At this point I'm still thinking it was the software. As time went
    > > on, the rolling would last a little longer. The display now rolls till
    > > about the time Windows is finished loading and the desktop is stable.
    > > Remember, it used to stop before the loading Windows screen. If the
    > > computer is on but monitor off for awhile and I turn the monitor back on,
    > > it
    > > may roll/flicker for 2-3 seconds. Now I'm thinking it's a monitor issue..
    > > What do you think?

    > > Also, in case I'm going to have to buy a new monitor in the near future, I
    > > would like to stick to this particular "type" of monitor. A couple years
    > > ago I read that a particular type of screen was far superior. There wasa
    > > way to determine which type yours was. The 2005FPW was that kind...I just
    > > can't remember what the article said to look for but most monitors
    > > (barring
    > > the super expensive ones) did not fall in this category. And does Dell
    > > still sell the Ultra-Sharp series?

    > > Monica

    > I assume here you mean a vertical roll (going up or down)...I have
    > never hear of this happening to a FPM only a CRT.
    > Even with analog input it is converted to digital in the monitor. Are
    > you using VGA,DVI, or HDMI to your monitor?

    Now that's getting really creepy! AFAIK the video data is never
    analog when using DVI! Can you put the monitor on another PC?

    Bob Villa, Nov 10, 2010
  6. Monica

    Monica Guest

    Can I put the monitor on another computer? Not without a LOT of back pain.
    Here is a very short video (<600kb) of the rolling problem.
    I would have taken a longer video but my card was full. This time the
    problem stopped before the Welcome to Windows screen. It has gone
    as far as the desktop tho. I'm hoping, with all of the other pieces of the
    puzzle I've mentioned, it will clue you guys into what's wrong.
    http://rcpt.yousendit.com/986021503/fa28542c50036313efed7b7209709f38

    Monica, Nov 10, 2010
  7. Monica

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Nov 9, 10:42 pm, "Monica" <> wrote:
> [...]

    > > > would like to stick to this particular "type" of monitor. A couple years
    > > > ago I read that a particular type of screen was far superior. There was
    > > > way to determine which type yours was. The 2005FPW was that kind...I
    > > > just
    > > > can't remember what the article said to look for but most monitors
    > > > (barring
    > > > the super expensive ones) did not fall in this category. And does Dell
    > > > still sell the Ultra-Sharp series?

    > > > Monica

    > > I assume here you mean a vertical roll (going up or down)...I have
    > > never hear of this happening to a FPM only a CRT.
    > > Even with analog input it is converted to digital in the monitor. Are
    > > you using VGA,DVI, or HDMI to your monitor?

    > Now that's getting really creepy!  AFAIK the video data is never
    > analog when using DVI!  Can you put the monitor on another PC?

    Looks like a roll...but probably is a stutter (non-technical term).
    Tighten your connections at both ends (make sure they are square-
    equal), it could be the cable or the graphics card, or monitor...in
    that order. (PS, I am not the expert here...only one of the
    amateurs!)

    Bob Villa, Nov 10, 2010
  8. Monica

    Doc_Shock Guest

    On 11/10/2010 7:38 AM, Bob Villa wrote:
    > On Nov 9, 10:42 pm, "Monica"<> wrote:
    >> Can I put the monitor on another computer? Not without a LOT of back pain.
    >> Here is a very short video (<600kb) of the rolling problem.
    >> I would have taken a longer video but my card was full. This time the
    >> problem stopped before the Welcome to Windows screen. It has gone
    >> as far as the desktop tho. I'm hoping, with all of the other pieces of the
    >> puzzle I've mentioned, it will clue you guys into what's wrong.http://rcpt.yousendit.com/986021503/fa28542c50036313efed7b7209709f38
    >>
    >> "Bob Villa"<> wrote in message

    >> On Nov 9, 10:25 am, "Monica"<> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Bob, it's the white connector. I believe it's DVI. And yes, a vertical
    >>> roll. You've NEVER seen this happen on a LCD??
    >>> The fact that it does this when the monitor is first turned on (cold)
    >>> doesn't that sound like a hardware issue to you?
    >>> As for the type of TFT I'm looking for (if I need a new monitor) it's IPS
    >>> (vs TN)
    >>> The Ultra-Sharp U2410 is IPS and has great reviews but enough not so great
    >>> to consider carefully. My hobby is photo/video editing, not gaming.

    >>> "Bob Villa"<> wrote in message

    >>> I assume here you mean a vertical roll (going up or down)...I have
    >>> never hear of this happening to a FPM only a CRT.
    >>> Even with analog input it is converted to digital in the monitor. Are
    >>> you using VGA,DVI, or HDMI to your monitor?

    >> Now that's getting really creepy! AFAIK the video data is never
    >> analog when using DVI! Can you put the monitor on another PC?

    > Looks like a roll...but probably is a stutter (non-technical term).
    > Tighten your connections at both ends (make sure they are square-
    > equal), it could be the cable or the graphics card, or monitor...in
    > that order. (PS, I am not the expert here...only one of the
    > amateurs!)

    I had a Dell monitor acting similarly to the problem described here. I
    unplugged the power cord, let it sit for about an hour, and when I
    plugged it back in, all was fine. The problem shows up every now and
    then, and such a "reboot" of the monitor always fixes it. Maybe it'll
    work for you!

    Doc_Shock, Nov 10, 2010
  9. Monica

    Monica Guest

    I'll certainly check the connections but if it was a loose connection
    wouldn't it do this ALL the time? Not just a few seconds?

    Monica, Nov 10, 2010
  10. Monica

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Nov 10, 12:14 pm, "Monica" <> wrote:
    > I'll certainly check the connections but if it was a loose connection
    > wouldn't it do this ALL the time?  Not just a few seconds?
    >
    > "Bob Villa" <> wrote in message

    > On Nov 9, 10:42 pm, "Monica" <> wrote:
    >

    > > Can I put the monitor on another computer? Not without a LOT of back pain.
    > > Here is a very short video (<600kb) of the rolling problem.
    > > I would have taken a longer video but my card was full. This time the
    > > problem stopped before the Welcome to Windows screen. It has gone
    > > as far as the desktop tho. I'm hoping, with all of the other pieces of the
    > > puzzle I've mentioned, it will clue you guys into what's
    > > wrong.http://rcpt.yousendit.com/986021503/fa28542c50036313efed7b7209709f38

    > > "Bob Villa" <> wrote in message

    > > On Nov 9, 10:25 am, "Monica" <> wrote:

    > > > Bob, it's the white connector. I believe it's DVI. And yes, a vertical
    > > > roll. You've NEVER seen this happen on a LCD??
    > > > The fact that it does this when the monitor is first turned on (cold)
    > > > doesn't that sound like a hardware issue to you?
    > > > As for the type of TFT I'm looking for (if I need a new monitor) it's
    > > > IPS
    > > > (vs TN)
    > > > The Ultra-Sharp U2410 is IPS and has great reviews but enough not so
    > > > great
    > > > to consider carefully. My hobby is photo/video editing, not gaming.

    > > > "Bob Villa" <> wrote in message

    > > > I assume here you mean a vertical roll (going up or down)...I have
    > > > never hear of this happening to a FPM only a CRT.
    > > > Even with analog input it is converted to digital in the monitor. Are
    > > > you using VGA,DVI, or HDMI to your monitor?

    > > Now that's getting really creepy! AFAIK the video data is never
    > > analog when using DVI! Can you put the monitor on another PC?

    > Looks like a roll...but probably is a stutter (non-technical term).
    > Tighten your connections at both ends (make sure they are square-
    > equal),  it could be the cable or the graphics card, or monitor...in
    > that order.  (PS, I am not the expert here...only one of the
    > amateurs!)

    Not necessarily. (and remember netiquette...pls don't top post, TY)

    Bob Villa, Nov 10, 2010