    Thanks.

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chaintech-Problem-7NJL6-startsup-dies-ftopict58352.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=294961

    parm, Jul 3, 2005

  2. parm

    uddarts Guest

    "parm" wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just purchased the Chaintech 7NJL6 for my AMD Duron 1.8 GHz
    > CPU. I connected everything and started the system. It starts
    > for a few seconds and then dies. The power LED on the front
    > panel starts to blink. I disconnected all the components and
    > placed the board on non conductive base and powered it up,
    > still the same problem. Any suggestions or comments. HELP!!!!
    >
    > Thanks.

    check your heatsink and make sure it’s not sitting on the lip of the
    cpu mount. did you use a thermal pad or thermal grease? is the cpu fan
    plugged into the correct fan header and is it a 3 wire fan?

    did you clear the cmos/bios jumper?

    ud

    uddarts, Jul 3, 2005

  3. parm

    parm Guest

    Re: Re: Problem with Chaintech 7NJL6 - startsup and then dies

    "uddarts" wrote:
    > check your heatsink and make sure it's not sitting on the lip
    > of the cpu mount. did you use a thermal pad or thermal grease?
    > is the cpu fan plugged into the correct fan header and is it a
    > 3 wire fan?
    >
    > did you clear the cmos/bios jumper?
    >
    > ud

    UD,

    I checked the fan, it seems to be sitting fine. The CPU has four
    cylindrical (i assume rubber like) raised surfaces on which the fan
    sits. It is a two wire fan. I did not get any thermal grease or
    anything with the fan. I bought all the parts (HD, CPU, MB, Memory
    etc.) from Tiger Direct. I have installed the memory and fan.
    Everything else is disconnected. I did clear the CMOS. It starts and
    then just dies. Maybe something is tripping it. I don’t know. I have
    also sent an email to Chaintech. But no reply so far. This was
    yesterday.

    Thank you so much for your help. Any other thoughts or suggestions. I
    am trying to get this up and running for my son. We are both very
    exicited about it. But so far no luck.

    Parm

    parm, Jul 3, 2005
  4. parm

    uddarts Guest

    "parm" wrote:
    > UD,
    >
    > I checked the fan, it seems to be sitting fine. The CPU has
    > four cylindrical (i assume rubber like) raised surfaces on
    > which the fan sits. It is a two wire fan. I did not get any
    > thermal grease or anything with the fan. I bought all the
    > parts (HD, CPU, MB, Memory etc.) from Tiger Direct. I have
    > installed the memory and fan. Everything else is disconnected.
    > I did clear the CMOS. It starts and then just dies. Maybe
    > something is tripping it. I don't know. I have also sent an
    > email to Chaintech. But no reply so far. This was yesterday.
    >
    > Thank you so much for your help. Any other thoughts or
    > suggestions. I am trying to get this up and running for my
    > son. We are both very exicited about it. But so far no luck.
    >
    > Parm

    stop where you are! do not move or pass go! you don’t want to burn up
    your chip.

    you need some sort of thermal compound between the cpu and the
    heatsink base.

    what heatsink do you have. can you give me a link?

    some heatsinks come with a little pad on the bottom of them and has a
    peel off tape that portects it from dirt during shipping.

    if there isn’t one you can buy something like these listed at
    tigerdirect.

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=503

    here is a link for instructions how to apply.

    http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions_small.htm

    you may be able to find some locally.

    your heat sink fan needs 3 wire. the yellow one is an rpm sensor which
    the motherboard looks for. it is a safety feature in case the fan
    stops.

    again what heatsink and fan do you have? since it’s not 3 wire makes
    me think the combo may be wrong.

    ud

    uddarts, Jul 3, 2005
  5. parm

    "uddarts" wrote:
    > stop where you are! do not move or pass go! you don't want to
    > burn up your chip.
    >
    > you need some sort of thermal compound between the cpu and the
    > heatsink base.
    >
    > what heatsink do you have. can you give me a link?
    >
    > some heatsinks come with a little pad on the bottom of them
    > and has a peel off tape that portects it from dirt during
    > shipping.
    >
    > if there isn't one you can buy something like these listed at
    > tigerdirect.
    >
    > http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=503
    >
    > here is a link for instructions how to apply.
    >
    > http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions_small.htm
    >
    > you may be able to find some locally.
    >

    > your heat sink fan needs 3 wire. the yellow one is an rpm
    > sensor which the motherboard looks for. it is a safety feature
    > in case the fan stops.
    >
    > again what heatsink and fan do you have? since it's not 3 wire
    > makes me think the combo may be wrong.
    >
    > ud

    UD,

    Could the fan cause such a problem. I have posted the link for the fan
    that I bought

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=412189&CatId=796

    Below is the link for the motherboard that I purchased from
    tigerdirect

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1043672&CatId=179

    At this moment, I am just trying to narrow down the problem as to what
    might be wrong. I just want the board to work with bare minimum setup.
    Once this is done, then I will do the complete assembly for use. I
    will order the new fan and the thermal gel today or will go and buy
    one from the local store.

    Thank you so much for all the help.

    Regards,
    Parm

    parm, Jul 4, 2005
  6. parm

    uddarts Guest

    "parm" wrote:
    > UD,
    >
    > Could the fan cause such a problem. I have posted the link for
    > the fan that I bought
    >
    > http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=412189&CatId=796
    >
    > Below is the link for the motherboard that I purchased from
    > tigerdirect
    >
    > http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1043672&CatId=179
    >
    > At this moment, I am just trying to narrow down the problem as
    > to what might be wrong. I just want the board to work with
    > bare minimum setup. Once this is done, then I will do the
    > complete assembly for use. I will order the new fan and the
    > thermal gel today or will go and buy one from the local store.
    >
    > Thank you so much for all the help.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Parm

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=925064&CatId=792

    here’s one that’s in the price range of the one you bought. if you
    notice it makes reference to a 3 pin connector.

    * Fan Dimension: 66x60x10 mm
    * Heatsink Dimension: 66x72.7x42.5 mm
    * Rated Voltage: 12V
    * Started Voltage: 5V
    * Rated Current: 0.38A
    * Power Input: 4.20W
    * Max. Air Flow: 20.2 CFM
    * Noise: 35 dBA
    * Bearing Type: 1 Ball Bearing
    * Life Expectation: 40,000 Hours
    * Connector: 3 Pin
    * Total Weight: 285 g
    * Thermal Resistance: ca=0.58 C/W

    how you managed to find one that only has 2 wires, we just chalk up to
    a $5 case of bad luck.

    i use a single edge razor blade to spread the thermal compound. you
    don’t need a lot. more isn’t better. just smooth it out and cover the
    small die in the middle of the cpu. if you should get a little on the
    rest of the cpu, just clean it up with a q-tip and some alcohol.

    keep intouch.

    ud

    ud

    uddarts, Jul 4, 2005
  7. parm

    "uddarts" wrote:
    > http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=925064&CatId=792
    >
    > here's one that's in the price range of the one you bought. if
    > you notice it makes reference to a 3 pin connector.
    >
    > * Fan Dimension: 66x60x10 mm
    > * Heatsink Dimension: 66x72.7x42.5 mm
    > * Rated Voltage: 12V
    > * Started Voltage: 5V
    > * Rated Current: 0.38A
    > * Power Input: 4.20W
    > * Max. Air Flow: 20.2 CFM
    > * Noise: 35 dBA
    > * Bearing Type: 1 Ball Bearing
    > * Life Expectation: 40,000 Hours
    > * Connector: 3 Pin
    > * Total Weight: 285 g
    > * Thermal Resistance: ca=0.58 C/W
    >
    > how you managed to find one that only has 2 wires, we just
    > chalk up to a $5 case of bad luck.
    >
    > i use a single edge razor blade to spread the thermal
    > compound. you don't need a lot. more isn't better. just smooth
    > it out and cover the small die in the middle of the cpu. if
    > you should get a little on the rest of the cpu, just clean it
    > up with a q-tip and some alcohol.
    >
    > keep intouch.
    >
    > ud
    >

    > ud

    UD,

    Thanks so much. I have also found something similar to what you have
    recommended at COMPUSA. It is a 3 pin connector and in stock. I can
    pick it up locally. Lets hope it works. I have the links below. Any
    input on these.

    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=50093279&pfp=SEARCH

    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=50254543&pfp=SEARCH

    If they don’t work, I will definitely order the one from tigerdirect.

    I really appreciate all your time in helping me solving this problem.
    Once again, thanks.

    Parm

    parm, Jul 4, 2005
  8. parm

    uddarts Guest

    "parm" wrote:
    > UD,
    >
    > Thanks so much. I have also found something similar to what
    > you have recommended at COMPUSA. It is a 3 pin connector and
    > in stock. I can pick it up locally. Lets hope it works. I have
    > the links below. Any input on these.
    >
    > http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=50093279&pfp=SEARCH
    >

    > http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=50254543&pfp=SEARCH
    >
    > If they don't work, I will definitely order the one from
    > tigerdirect.
    >
    > I really appreciate all your time in helping me solving this
    > problem. Once again, thanks.
    >
    > Parm

    the second one is much better. copper is always better. i don’t think
    the first one is really rated for your cpu. it has much better cmf, 42
    vs 9. if they don’t have it in stock, i’m sure they can assist you in
    a good choice. they should have the thermal compound and a cooler for
    you at compusa to fit your needs.

    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=50254543&pfp=SEARCH

    uddarts, Jul 4, 2005
  9. parm

    parm, Jul 7, 2005
  10. parm

    parm, Jul 7, 2005
  11. parm

    uddarts Guest

    "parm" wrote:
    > UD,
    >
    > I just got an email from Chaintech. They are saying that the
    > heat sink and the fan are not centered properly.
    >
    > They asked me to check if the fan works without the CPU in the
    > MB. I have three fan/heatsinks and they all work fine without
    > the CPU. Chaintech said if that is that case then the CPU need
    > to be replaced or the heat sink is not sitting tightly and
    > properly on the CPU.
    >
    > Any thoughts.
    >
    > Parm

    you did get some thermal compound also?

    just to cover all the bases. the proper hs install:

    http://www.thermaltake.com/images/coolers/volcano/1671/copperBase.jpg

    http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/images/Products/motherboard/7NJL6_M.jpg

    if you placed the hs on the cpu with the large surface area on the cpu
    and the notched area over the raise portion where the lever hidges.
    the slot on the clip, where you put the screw driver, goes on that
    side too.

    we haven’t discussed the psu have we? on the side of the psu it should
    list how many amps the +12v. what does it say?

    ud

    uddarts, Jul 7, 2005
  12. parm

    "uddarts" wrote:
    > you did get some thermal compound also?
    >

    > just to cover all the bases. the proper hs install:
    >
    > [img:e8fed973e2]http://www.thermaltake.com/images/coolers/volcano/1671/copperBase.jpg[/img:e8fed973e2]
    >
    > [img:e8fed973e2]http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/images/Products/motherboard/7NJL6_M.jpg[/img:e8fed973e2]
    >
    > if you placed the hs on the cpu with the large surface area on
    > the cpu and the notched area over the raise portion where the
    > lever hidges. the slot on the clip, where you put the screw
    > driver, goes on that side too.
    >
    > we haven't discussed the psu have we? on the side of the psu
    > it should list how many amps the +12v. what does it say?
    >

    > ud

    Hi UD,

    I have bought the copper heatsink and the fan along with the thermal
    compound. Installed and everything seems to work fine. The system
    boots up now I am going through an installation process. I ran into
    some bios problems but they are fixed now.

    This fan and heatsink is heavy and has a much better tension in the
    spring. This seems to have done the job.

    I will keep you updated if something else comes up.

    Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

    Parm

    parm, Jul 9, 2005
  13. parm

    uddarts Guest

    "parm" wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just purchased the Chaintech 7NJL6 for my AMD Duron 1.8 GHz
    > CPU. I connected everything and started the system. It starts
    > for a few seconds and then dies. The power LED on the front
    > panel starts to blink. I disconnected all the components and
    > placed the board on non conductive base and powered it up,
    > still the same problem. Any suggestions or comments. HELP!!!!
    >
    > Thanks.

    talk about a tough row to hoe, huh! this has been too much like work.

    glad things are finally going your way.

    ud

    uddarts, Jul 9, 2005