Problem with cpu speed, suddenly turning off.

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by diegorosen, Aug 8, 2012.

  1. diegorosen

    diegorosen

    Hi,

    First of all, these are the specifications from mi computer:

    Motherboard: Asus A7V600-X

    Cpu: Amd Athlon XP 2600 + ( I think the model's name is “Barton” )

    Ram: Kingston 1gb ddr

    Video card: Agp Nvidia Geforce Fx 5200 – 128 mb

    I guess that is enough.

    Well, a few days ago, I cleaned the entire computer, taking out each component, and I also removed the Cmos Battery ( i think it's called like that. I mean the battery located on the motherboard). Then I put everething on its place.

    After this, when I turned on the Pc again, I could notice that I had lost the previous Bios Configuration. I think it's because I took out the Cmos battery for too much time. So, I decided to leave the values to the defaults:

    Cpu speed: 1150 Mhz (minimum)

    And I left everything else in “Auto”, or some values just like they where.

    When I saved changes in Bios, and reboot, Pc suddenly turned off, and when I turned it on again, appeard a message in Bios:

    “During the last boot up your system hung for an improper cpu speed setting.
    Your sistem is now working in safe mode. To optimize the system performance and reliability, make sure the cpu speed conforms to the specifications of your cpu”.

    After this, I have changed many times the Cpu speed, trying each option (1150, 1533, 1917, 2300)Mhz. I also changed some other configuration, like this one:

    Advanced menu → Pci configuration → Primary vga bios: There the option Pci vga card was selectd, so I changed it to Agp vga card (I don't know if it's ok, because meabe this configuration is not about the video card).

    Any way, then I restored Bios, and left the defaults.

    I think the main point is the following:

    - If I leave the computer off for a while (an hour), I can use it for a few minutes, so that it loads the OS I use (Windows xp, and Ubuntu 11.04). Then, suddenly turns off. And since that moment, when I turn it on again, I have less and less time to use it until it turns off again. If I leave it turned of again, for a long time, I can use it for a few minutes again. It seems like if the cooling system wasn't working properly, but all values are right (Cpu temperature never above 50°C, Mobo Temperature also ok, and finally, I checked that the Cpu cooling is working fine. I am sure about this, because when I touch the processor and the video card, they are not hot at all).

    - After suddenly turning off, and turning it on again, sometimes appears the message of “Cpu speed” on Bios setup, and in some other cases loads the OS directly , or at least try to do it, until it turns off a few seconds or a minute later.

    Well, I apologize for my English mistakes, I tried to be as clear as I could.

    I wish this is a bios problem, and not hardware, and I hope you can help me.

    Thanks!!! :D

    diegorosen, Aug 8, 2012