    What is going on?

    Do I need to get the Envision driver for XP? I have never needed to add any
    drivers to XP so far.

    VBM, Sep 14, 2005

  2. VBM

    bxf Guest

    VBM wrote:
    > I have been using a 17" Envision LCD monitor hooked up to my previous laptop
    > (Thinkpad) for years. I just got a new laptop (Toshiba M55) and it is
    > acting oddly. When
    > I first fire up the computer, it will show the Windows XP screen on the
    > Envision (and not on the laptop screen), but when it gets to the blue
    > "Welcome" screen, it goes blank on the Envision and shows up on the laptop
    > screen. Nothing further shows up on the Envision after that.
    >
    > What is going on?
    >
    > Do I need to get the Envision driver for XP? I have never needed to add any
    > drivers to XP so far.

    Not likely.

    I don't know which graphics card you have on your laptop nor how it
    behaves. Typically, one would have a choice of the laptop monitor,
    external monitor, clone mode (i.e. identical display on both), or
    extended mode (two monitors acting as a single logical unit). And,
    although one has access to monitor configuration from the Display
    Properties screen, settings made here do not always work in perfect
    harmony with settings made via the graphics controller.

    Have you made the proper settings for your expectations?

    ---
    We judge others by our own limitations.

    bxf, Sep 15, 2005

  3. VBM

    Bigguy Guest

    Two possible reasons for this spring to mind...

    Have you set the laptop to give an output at its VGA out (Function + F7 or
    F5 etc - the key with pics of two monitors or LCD/Mon on it)...?

    Second possibilty is that your new laptop has a higher resolution than the
    old one and the monitor cannot handle this... if so set laptop to lower
    resolution display.

    Guy

    Bigguy, Sep 15, 2005
  4. Re: Problem with external monitor on new laptop - worked fine onold laptop

    Most likely, your new laptop supports dual displays while your old one
    didn't .... only you don't have Windows configured to actually do
    anything with a 2nd monitor, so you get a blank screen or perhaps a
    blank (TOTALLY blank) windows desktop.

    Barry Watzman, Sep 15, 2005
  5. VBM

    VBM Guest

    "bxf" <> wrote in message

    > VBM wrote:
    > > I have been using a 17" Envision LCD monitor hooked up to my previous

    laptop
    > > (Thinkpad) for years. I just got a new laptop (Toshiba M55) and it is
    > > acting oddly. When
    > > I first fire up the computer, it will show the Windows XP screen on the
    > > Envision (and not on the laptop screen), but when it gets to the blue
    > > "Welcome" screen, it goes blank on the Envision and shows up on the

    laptop
    > > screen. Nothing further shows up on the Envision after that.
    > >
    > > What is going on?
    > >
    > > Do I need to get the Envision driver for XP? I have never needed to add

    any
    > > drivers to XP so far.

    > Not likely.
    >
    > I don't know which graphics card you have on your laptop nor how it
    > behaves. Typically, one would have a choice of the laptop monitor,
    > external monitor, clone mode (i.e. identical display on both), or
    > extended mode (two monitors acting as a single logical unit). And,
    > although one has access to monitor configuration from the Display
    > Properties screen, settings made here do not always work in perfect
    > harmony with settings made via the graphics controller.
    >
    > Have you made the proper settings for your expectations?

    In the Display Properties, yes, but I don't know how to check anything about
    the graphic card settings.

    I did find that when I choose to extend to the external monitor, it will do
    that (albeit with a very pixelated picture, but that may be just the
    resolution settings, hopefully), but it will not show anything on the
    external when I want them to both be cloned.

    VBM, Sep 15, 2005
  6. VBM

    VBM Guest

    "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    > Most likely, your new laptop supports dual displays while your old one
    > didn't .... only you don't have Windows configured to actually do
    > anything with a 2nd monitor, so you get a blank screen or perhaps a
    > blank (TOTALLY blank) windows desktop.

    Very possibly. How do I tell Windows to configure it as a clone monitor? I
    have worked with the Display Properties, but I don't see how to do this. I
    have even tried to choose the external as the primary monitor, but it will
    not do it.

    VBM, Sep 15, 2005
  7. VBM

    VBM Guest

    "Bigguy" <> wrote in message
    > Two possible reasons for this spring to mind...
    >
    > Have you set the laptop to give an output at its VGA out (Function + F7 or
    > F5 etc - the key with pics of two monitors or LCD/Mon on it)...?
    >
    > Second possibilty is that your new laptop has a higher resolution than the
    > old one and the monitor cannot handle this... if so set laptop to lower
    > resolution display.

    I tried the Function-F5 and it showed the three options, with only the LCD
    highlighted (on the far left). I tried clicking on the middle one, which
    shows two, but it won't change. I am not sure if it matters, but the
    external is an LCD as well, not CRT.

    VBM, Sep 15, 2005
  8. VBM

    VBM Guest

    Update for all that were helping. I was able to follow the advice of using
    Function-F5 and switching to LCD/CRT and then restarting. I could not at
    first make it switch, but then figured out that by hitting the F5 again it
    moved it over. Then a restart and messing with the resolution a bit made it
    all work!

    Thanks for all your help, guys!

    VBM, Sep 16, 2005
  9. VBM

    bxf Guest

    Glad you have what you want. But, just for your info, I'd be very
    surprised if there is no way to get into graphic properties. You would
    normally do it by cllicking ADVNACED from Display Properties >
    Settings. You should see a tab that will take you to your graphic
    card's settings screens.

    ---
    We judge others by our own limitations.

    bxf, Sep 16, 2005
  10. VBM

    VBM Guest

    "bxf" <> wrote in message
    > Glad you have what you want. But, just for your info, I'd be very
    > surprised if there is no way to get into graphic properties. You would
    > normally do it by cllicking ADVNACED from Display Properties >
    > Settings. You should see a tab that will take you to your graphic
    > card's settings screens.

    Thanks, that is very good to know. I am not thrilled about the resolution,
    so I might still play with it.

    VBM, Sep 16, 2005