    appear and one light is on next to the power button. Sounds like fan
    is running." Any suggestions on what to check?

    Thanks
    John, Jul 11, 2011

  2. John

    John Guest

    Additional information,
    Num lock button stays lit. The light on the power button goes off
    almost immediately, but the one on the front of the machine (in front
    of keyboard) stays on, along with the hard drive periodically having
    activity. The screen does faintly display the Dell logo on press, but
    goes off very quickly.

    Again, thanks in advance.

    John, Jul 11, 2011

  3. John

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Jul 11, 3:05 pm, John <> wrote:
    > Additional information,
    > Num lock button stays lit.  The light on the power button goes off
    > almost immediately, but the one on the front of the machine (in front
    > of keyboard) stays on, along with the hard drive periodically having
    > activity.  The screen does faintly display the Dell logo on press, but
    > goes off very quickly.
    >
    > Again, thanks in advance.
    >
    > On Jul 11, 2:19 pm, John <> wrote:
    >
    > > Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.  My brother has an Inspiron
    > > 1318 that is having a power up issue.  Stated that it won't turn on.
    > > Battery inserted correctly, tried another working power adapter to
    > > make sure that power brick wasn't the issue.  I quote, "when pressing
    > > the power button, sounds like it is going to POST but screen doesn't
    > > appear and one light is on next to the power button.  Sounds like fan
    > > is running."  Any suggestions on what to check?

    > > Thanks

    Has he tried it with the battery removed?
    Bob Villa, Jul 11, 2011
  4. John

    John Guest

    On Jul 11, 4:39 pm, Bob Villa <> wrote:
    > On Jul 11, 3:05 pm, John <> wrote:
    >

    > > Additional information,
    > > Num lock button stays lit.  The light on the power button goes off
    > > almost immediately, but the one on the front of the machine (in front
    > > of keyboard) stays on, along with the hard drive periodically having
    > > activity.  The screen does faintly display the Dell logo on press, but
    > > goes off very quickly.

    > > Again, thanks in advance.

    > > On Jul 11, 2:19 pm, John <> wrote:

    > > > Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.  My brother has an Inspiron
    > > > 1318 that is having a power up issue.  Stated that it won't turn on..
    > > > Battery inserted correctly, tried another working power adapter to
    > > > make sure that power brick wasn't the issue.  I quote, "when pressing
    > > > the power button, sounds like it is going to POST but screen doesn't
    > > > appear and one light is on next to the power button.  Sounds like fan
    > > > is running."  Any suggestions on what to check?

    > > > Thanks

    > Has he tried it with the battery removed?

    Yes, doesn't seem to make a difference, unfortunately.
    John, Jul 12, 2011
  5. John

    John Guest

    On Jul 11, 10:54 pm, John <> wrote:
    > On Jul 11, 4:39 pm, Bob Villa <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Jul 11, 3:05 pm, John <> wrote:

    > > > Additional information,
    > > > Num lock button stays lit.  The light on the power button goes off
    > > > almost immediately, but the one on the front of the machine (in front
    > > > of keyboard) stays on, along with the hard drive periodically having
    > > > activity.  The screen does faintly display the Dell logo on press, but
    > > > goes off very quickly.

    > > > Again, thanks in advance.

    > > Has he tried it with the battery removed?

    > Yes, doesn't seem to make a difference, unfortunately.

    Got to handle it this past week. Definitely a fried motherboard.
    Cheaper to just part it out and buy a new one.
    John, Jul 23, 2011
  6. On 7/22/2011 11:49 PM, John wrote:
    > On Jul 11, 10:54 pm, John<> wrote:

    >>> Has he tried it with the battery removed?

    >> Yes, doesn't seem to make a difference, unfortunately.

    > Got to handle it this past week. Definitely a fried motherboard.
    > Cheaper to just part it out and buy a new one.

    re-seat the memory modules and try booting again.
    Christopher Muto, Jul 23, 2011