Problem with loading xp with kt600 dragon plus

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by Keith, Nov 23, 2003.

  1. Keith

    Keith Guest

    Hello, I am having some trouble loading windows on the following
    system:

    SOYO KT600 DRAGON+
    AMD XP 2600+(333Mhz)
    512 mb pc 2700 ram (x2
    ati radeon 9800 plus (128)
    MAXTOR 80.0GB DX6Y080P0 EIDE ULTRA-ATA 133 8.5MS 7200RPM 8MB BUFFER

    When installing windows xp, I receive an error stating that the hard
    drive is corrupt. The hard drive passes burn test. I was able to load
    xp on this hard drive on another computer without incident. I have
    updated bios, and tried different memory (that works on another
    computer.)

    If anyone might know why I am getting this error, your help will be
    greatly appriciated.

    Keith, Nov 23, 2003

  2. Keith

    John Guest

    make sure the PCI/AGP divider is set correctly so the PCI is 33 MHz, or
    else you may get drive data corruption. check the BIOS. you may want to try
    another ribbon cable as well ~ not a huge fan of Maxtor but sounds like the
    drive is fine

    John, Nov 23, 2003

  3. Keith

    Woobie Guest

    Keith,
    Did you do a full install of XP? Try to let it format your drive for
    NTFS format. Also, because I have seen this problem a couple of times, what
    usually solves it is a format done through the hard drive manufacturer's
    boot disk. Maxtor and WD both have boot disk installations at their
    respective sites (usually called diag, tools or utilities.)

    Also, some drives, due to bad or corrupted sectors, just won't run XP
    because they are too damaged for XP to accept. I had a bad HD that I knew
    had bad sectors. I repaired the sectors, but XP would not take it ( it came
    up with some write error.) I had to put that HD in another computer with a
    lower version OS. It worked fine there and it still works.

    Lastly, look at the bios settings. Make sure it's on auto. Recheck
    jumpers, cables and bios settings.

    Joe

    Woobie, Nov 23, 2003
  4. Keith

    Keith Guest

    Both full and upgrade versions of XP profesional fail. When trying to
    format for NTFS, I recieve an error that XP is unable to format due to
    possible corrupt disk. I can format using maxtor software, but it will
    give an error on the first restart(during istalation) that a system
    file is missing or corrupted. Windows 98 will install, but fails after
    one restart(won't load.)

    The bios is set to auto detect the drive. The cable and jumpers have
    been checked. The hard drive passes every test performed by Maxtor
    powermax software.

    I do not see how to check the AGP/PCI driver is set so that the PCI is
    33mhz. It is not an option I see listed in the BIOS. Optimized
    defaults produce the same errors.

    Thank you for your replies.

    Keith, Nov 24, 2003
  5. What brand of memory?
    Which slots are populated ??

    Erik the Bold, Nov 24, 2003
  6. Keith

    Keith Guest

    I was able to fix the problem by replacing the chip.

    Keith, Nov 27, 2003
  7. What chip?

    Alan Duquette, Nov 27, 2003
  8. On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 21:46:39 -1000, Alan Duquette <>
    wrote:

    >What chip?
    >
    >On 26 Nov 2003 16:57:09 -0800, (Keith)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I was able to fix the problem by replacing the chip.

    the only one he's mentioned in any of his posts is the cpu.
    --
    -denny-

    Some people are offence kleptomaniacs -- whenever they see
    an offence that isn't nailed down, they take it ;-)
    --David C. Pugh, in alt.callahans

    Denny Wheeler, Nov 29, 2003