problem with my mouse!

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by Lee, Jun 28, 2008.

  1. Lee

    Lee Guest

    Of late I have noticed a delay in the movement with my cursor.
    Sometimes it just sits there even though I am moving the mouse all
    over the place and then you will see the indicator that it is getting
    ready to move (O blue in color rotating) and it will move. Is there
    any fixes or is this normal?

    I have a Gateway DX430X with 4 gigs of memory and VISTA, it does not
    seem to matter if I have a lot going on or even doing this newsgroup.

    Lee (in Florida)

    1. Advertising

  2. Uhh... Seriously, when was the last time you cleaned the mouse? If it's a
    non-optical mouse, open the bottom and remove the ball. Look at the two
    shafts and the little wheel that the ball comes in contact with. Those
    things can get lots of crud on them that interfers with normal mouse
    operations.

    "Lee" <> wrote in message
    > Of late I have noticed a delay in the movement with my cursor. Sometimes
    > it just sits there even though I am moving the mouse all over the place
    > and then you will see the indicator that it is getting ready to move (O
    > blue in color rotating) and it will move. Is there any fixes or is this
    > normal?
    >
    > I have a Gateway DX430X with 4 gigs of memory and VISTA, it does not seem
    > to matter if I have a lot going on or even doing this newsgroup.
    >
    > Lee (in Florida)

    1. Advertising

  3. Lee

    Lee Guest

    Greg Smithers wrote:
    > Uhh... Seriously, when was the last time you cleaned the mouse? If it's a
    > non-optical mouse, open the bottom and remove the ball. Look at the two
    > shafts and the little wheel that the ball comes in contact with. Those
    > things can get lots of crud on them that interfers with normal mouse
    > operations.

    Hi Greg

    No it is an optical mouse! This is my second one since getting the
    new computer, never had these before and never had this problem
    either. I am sure it is because something is running and it just
    freezes up the cursor temporarily. Always something. Hey thanks for
    taking the time to reply it is appreciated.

    Lee (in Florida)

  4. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    If wireless, then the battery may be going dead. Some of the early wireless
    mice conserved power when not in use and took forever to wake up... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 21:55:05 -0400, "Joan F \(MI\)"
    <> wrote:

    >Is it a USB wireless mouse? Is the USB connection solid?
    >
    >Lee wrote:
    >| Hi Greg
    >|
    >| No it is an optical mouse! This is my second one since getting the
    >| new computer, never had these before and never had this problem
    >| either. I am sure it is because something is running and it just
    >| freezes up the cursor temporarily. Always something. Hey thanks for
    >| taking the time to reply it is appreciated.
    >|
    >| Lee (in Florida)

  5. Lee

    Lee Guest

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > If wireless, then the battery may be going dead. Some of the early wireless
    > mice conserved power when not in use and took forever to wake up... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 21:55:05 -0400, "Joan F \(MI\)"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Is it a USB wireless mouse? Is the USB connection solid?

    The mouse is a USB connected optical mouse. (not wireless) Yes the
    connection as far as I can determine is good. I am beginning to
    believe it just might be McAfee checking on stuff in the background or
    maybe another program? I have the total protection program and it
    does a great job I am not sure how much of the memory it is chewing
    up. But better safe than sorry. Again thanks to both of you for your
    (use SeaMonkey) seems to have cut back on the processing time of the
    cursor action. It still does it but not as much in my opinion.

    Lee (in Florida)

  6. Lee

    Lee Guest

    NathanRosseister wrote:

    > Go for best quality of optical mouse..or use USB mouse This will solve
    > all your problem..

    Hi Nathan

    Thanks for your reply! I guess maybe I will look around to see what
    is available. Maybe that will cure the problem.

    Lee (in Florida)

  7. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:cZpak.8004$,
    Lee <> typed on Tue, 01 Jul 2008 09:04:30 -0400:
    > NathanRosseister wrote:
    >
    >> Go for best quality of optical mouse..or use USB mouse This will
    >> solve all your problem..

    > Hi Nathan
    >
    > Thanks for your reply! I guess maybe I will look around to see what
    > is available. Maybe that will cure the problem.

    Hi Lee! I think you are right and the rest are wrong. I do think it is
    software hogging up the CPU as you previously thought. And both McAfee and
    Norton can very well do this as well. Although one thing to add about
    optical mice. Most don't work well on a shinny surface. A mouse pad or
    something should rule that one out though.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway Celeron M 370 (1.5GHZ)

  8. Lee

    Lee Guest

    BillW50 wrote:

    > Hi Lee! I think you are right and the rest are wrong. I do think it is
    > software hogging up the CPU as you previously thought. And both McAfee and
    > Norton can very well do this as well. Although one thing to add about
    > optical mice. Most don't work well on a shinny surface. A mouse pad or
    > something should rule that one out though.

    Hi Bill

    Thanks for the come back! I know the blue ring shows that something
    is running but was not positive and since I use Vista it is somewhat
    new to me! Just wanted to be sure so as each made a suggestion I
    wrote if off after checking it and I did have my op mouse on white
    paper and on a red mouse pad and a gray one so I think I have
    eliminated most everything. I guess it is what I will have to live
    with or up the memory to 8 gigs. Right now I think I can live with
    it. After Norton for a few years McAfee has been great but they added
    so much to it I think that it is taking up a lot of memory. Every
    time I turn around it pops up with something changing registry
    settings ie Internet Explorer etc. Thanks again!

    Lee (in Florida)

  9. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:MkLak.15413$,
    Lee <> typed on Wed, 02 Jul 2008 09:23:23 -0400:
    > BillW50 wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Lee! I think you are right and the rest are wrong. I do think it
    >> is software hogging up the CPU as you previously thought. And both
    >> McAfee and Norton can very well do this as well. Although one thing
    >> to add about optical mice. Most don't work well on a shinny surface.
    >> A mouse pad or something should rule that one out though.

    > Hi Bill
    >
    > Thanks for the come back! I know the blue ring shows that something
    > is running but was not positive and since I use Vista it is somewhat
    > new to me! Just wanted to be sure so as each made a suggestion I
    > wrote if off after checking it and I did have my op mouse on white
    > paper and on a red mouse pad and a gray one so I think I have
    > eliminated most everything. I guess it is what I will have to live
    > with or up the memory to 8 gigs. Right now I think I can live with
    > it. After Norton for a few years McAfee has been great but they added
    > so much to it I think that it is taking up a lot of memory. Every
    > time I turn around it pops up with something changing registry
    > settings ie Internet Explorer etc. Thanks again!

    Hi Lee. Open up the Task Manager. There you can see what the CPU usage is
    at. Also if it is high, you can check out Processes (tab) to see what it is.

    --
    Bill
    Asus EEE PC 4GB SSD 2GB SODIMM

  10. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Lee wrote:

    > Of late I have noticed a delay in the movement with my cursor.
    > Sometimes it just sits there even though I am moving the mouse all
    > over the place and then you will see the indicator that it is getting
    > ready to move (O blue in color rotating) and it will move. Is there
    > any fixes or is this normal?
    >
    > I have a Gateway DX430X with 4 gigs of memory and VISTA, it does not
    > seem to matter if I have a lot going on or even doing this newsgroup.
    >
    > Lee (in Florida)

    I have a similar problem with my 6-year old WinXP Pro desktop with the original
    Logitech optical mouse. The mouse pointer freezes frequently. Then the USB
    connect "Bong sound" is heard...followed by the Bbong" disconnect sound. It does
    this irrespective of which program I'm using. I tried moving the mouse USB
    connector to another one. There are no other USB devices connected. Where's
    a good place to start diagnosing this problem?

    Thanks!
    Scott

  11. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:,
    Scott <> typed on Wed, 09 Jul 2008 23:22:44 -0500:
    > Lee wrote:
    >>
    >> Of late I have noticed a delay in the movement with my cursor.
    >> Sometimes it just sits there even though I am moving the mouse all
    >> over the place and then you will see the indicator that it is getting
    >> ready to move (O blue in color rotating) and it will move. Is there
    >> any fixes or is this normal?
    >>
    >> I have a Gateway DX430X with 4 gigs of memory and VISTA, it does not
    >> seem to matter if I have a lot going on or even doing this newsgroup.
    >>
    >> Lee (in Florida)

    > I have a similar problem with my 6-year old WinXP Pro desktop with
    > the original Logitech optical mouse. The mouse pointer freezes
    > frequently. Then the USB connect "Bong sound" is heard...followed by
    > the Bbong" disconnect sound. It does this irrespective of which
    > program I'm using. I tried moving the mouse USB connector to another
    > one. There are no other USB devices connected. Where's
    > a good place to start diagnosing this problem?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Scott

    Sounds like it is time for a new mouse Scott! If it uses replaceable
    rechargeable batteries, you can try replacing it.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway Celeron M 370 (1.5GHZ)