Problem with RAID SCSI on Dell 2450 - please help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chap, Mar 15, 2005.

  1. chap

    chap Guest

    I am having some problems starting up my server. I just got it, and
    this is what happens upon startup:

    PowerEdge 2450/667

    Embedded server management firmware revision 5.24

    !!***** System backplane error *****

    One 667 MHz Processor, Processor Bus: 133MHz, L2 cache: 256 KB Advanced

    Dell PowerEdge Expandable RAID Controller 3/Si, BIOS V2.1-3 [Build
    2951]

    (c) 1998-2000 Adaptec, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

    <<< Press <Ctrl><A> for SCSI Select(TM) Utility! >>>

    Waiting for Array Controller #0 to start….

    Array Controller started

    Controller monitor V2.1-3, Build 2951

    Controller kernel V2.1-3, Build 2951

    Controller POST operation successful

    No Logical Drives Found

    BIOS not installed!

    Adaptec AIC-7899 SCSI BIOS v25305

    (c) 1999 Adaptec, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

    <<< Press <Ctrl><A> for SCSI Select(TM) Utility! >>>

    No boot device available –

    Strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility

    Alternatively, F1 – reboot does nothing besides reboots and brings
    me to the same screen. F2 – setup just leads me to the BIOS. There
    is little to configure in here, but if I change the SCSI/RAID
    Controller from RAID Enabled to SCSI Enabled (I know it’s not
    suppose to be like this, but I did it just to see what happens) then I
    get this readout:

    PowerEdge 2450/667

    Embedded server management firmware revision 5.24

    !!***** System backplane error *****

    One 667 MHz Processor, Processor Bus: 133MHz, L2 cache: 256 KB Advanced

    Adaptec AIC-7899 SCSI BIOS v25305

    (c) 1999 Adaptec, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

    <<< Press <Ctrl><A> for SCSI Select(TM) Utility! >>>

    No boot device available –

    Strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility

    If I run the SCSI Select(TM) Utility it finds 0-zero drives

    any help would be more than greatly appreciated!
    Thanks
    -Joe

    chap, Mar 15, 2005

  2. chap

    chap Guest

    I really don't know. I'm still stuck here. Here is a "gathering" of all
    of the informaiton that i have collected so far. hopefully clearing up
    any confusion or questions and raising some possible solutions

    I have 3 <a
    href='http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/specs/scsi/st318404lc.html'>seagate
    cheeta st318404LC</a> 9.1gb hard drives installed
    I have tried taking all of them out besides one, tried different orders
    of the drives, and still the same thing. (all SCSI Drives, no IDE).
    These drives are attached to a backplane board that automatically sets
    the drive ID and termination. (however, i am getting that "System
    backplane error")

    I looked up the documentation for the <a
    href='http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pe2450/en/index.htm'>Dell
    Poweredege 2450 Server</a>. Everything IS connected correctly

    the RAID Controller hardware key is in place, and so is the RAID
    controller DIMM (as they were from the beginning).

    Lights on the hard drive:
    1 Drive online indicator light off
    2 Drive activity indicator green light on
    3 Drive failure indicator light off

    I never get to a point in the startup where i can configure the RAID
    bios

    I tried doing a <a
    href='http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?releaseid=R81212&c=us&l=en&s=gen&cs='>Firmware
    Upgrade</a> and a system BIOS upgrade. but i keep getting the same type
    of results

    There is no OS currently installed. I have tried installing Fedora Core
    3, but it fails to find any drives as well.

    hope this can help someone help me :)

    chap, Mar 16, 2005