    file copying completes).

    Has anyone seen this or know a work around?

    Ta

    Stuart, Jul 26, 2003

  2. It may be a problem with the CPU

    Bruce Markowitz, Jul 27, 2003

  3. Stuart

    Derek Guest

    On 26 Jul 2003, Stuart climbed into "ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad", opened
    the box of crayons and scribbled the following:

    > When I install winxp either as an upgrade from Win98SE or from
    > CD Boot the T20 shutsdown after a period of time (usually after
    > the initial file copying completes).
    >
    > Has anyone seen this or know a work around?

    I had the same problem. I upraded and got it to install once. Then
    the harddrive died. The T20 would never install XP again. It got
    halfway through the installation (right after checking to see if I
    was allowed to do the upgrade) and then told me that it couldn't read
    the XP disk.

    Fortunately, I did have a ghost image of the original installation so
    I was able to make it work.

    Derek

    --

    Scintillate, scintillate, globule vivific. Fain would I fathom thy
    nature specific. Loftily perched in the ether capacious,

    Derek, Jul 28, 2003
  4. Stuart

    Derek Guest

    On 29 Jul 2003, ArAfAt32 climbed into "ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad", opened
    the box of crayons and scribbled the following:

    > I don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread yet, but
    > are you using the latest firmware? My T20 would not even
    > recognize a Logitech maus until I updated my firmware and then
    > it ran much smoother on XP as well. The original owner was too
    > timid to ever flash the upgrade in.

    In my case, I poured over the IBM web pages on upgrading to XP for
    two weeks before even buying my refurbed Thinkpad. The first thing I
    did was to Ghost a Win98 image of what was there. Then I started the
    upgrade process with EVERYTHING that IBM had to offer - including the
    BIOS upgrade.

    Of course, if the original harddrive hadn't died on me, I never would
    have gone through this. And as I haven't "rebuilt" the machine since
    then, I don't know if my newer DVD-CDRW drive would be successful
    with a reinstallation.

    Derek

    Derek, Jul 29, 2003