    strange 'corruptions' of the screen, which I'd never had before.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Nov 10, 2010

  2. Terry Pinnell <> wrote:

    >A couple of weeks ago I upgraded my VERY old driver version for my 512 MB
    >nVidia GeoForce 8800GT to the new 260.99. Has anyone had any problems
    >with this please? Here, on my XP Pro (SP2) PC, I've had a few glitches and
    >strange 'corruptions' of the screen, which I'd never had before.

    Meanwhile I had an automated email this morning advising that 262.99 was
    available. But the link just takes me to the main download page. If I then
    manually search I get the existing driver. And if I do an automated search
    (which requires switching from Firefox to IE) I get

    "NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 260.99 Your PC currently has the latest driver
    installed for your GPU. No driver update is necessary at this time."

    Does 262.99 actually exist and if so where can I get it please?

    --
    Terry Pinnell, East Grinstead, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Nov 10, 2010

  3. Terry Pinnell <> wrote:

    >Terry Pinnell <> wrote:
    >
    >>A couple of weeks ago I upgraded my VERY old driver version for my 512 MB
    >>nVidia GeoForce 8800GT to the new 260.99. Has anyone had any problems
    >>with this please? Here, on my XP Pro (SP2) PC, I've had a few glitches and
    >>strange 'corruptions' of the screen, which I'd never had before.

    >Meanwhile I had an automated email this morning advising that 262.99 was
    >available. But the link just takes me to the main download page. If I then
    >manually search I get the existing driver. And if I do an automated search
    >(which requires switching from Firefox to IE) I get
    >
    >"NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 260.99 Your PC currently has the latest driver
    >installed for your GPU. No driver update is necessary at this time."
    >
    >Does 262.99 actually exist and if so where can I get it please?

    Straight after posting that I did the obvious thing and used SEARCH to
    find and download 262.99!

    But it doesn't install. I get this:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/nvidia-fail.jpg

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Nov 10, 2010
  4. Terry Pinnell

    deimos Guest

    On 11/10/2010 10:05 AM, Terry Pinnell wrote:
    > Terry Pinnell<> wrote:
    >
    >> Terry Pinnell<> wrote:
    >>
    >>> A couple of weeks ago I upgraded my VERY old driver version for my 512 MB
    >>> nVidia GeoForce 8800GT to the new 260.99. Has anyone had any problems
    >>> with this please? Here, on my XP Pro (SP2) PC, I've had a few glitches and
    >>> strange 'corruptions' of the screen, which I'd never had before.

    >> Meanwhile I had an automated email this morning advising that 262.99 was
    >> available. But the link just takes me to the main download page. If I then
    >> manually search I get the existing driver. And if I do an automated search
    >> (which requires switching from Firefox to IE) I get
    >>
    >> "NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 260.99 Your PC currently has the latest driver
    >> installed for your GPU. No driver update is necessary at this time."
    >>
    >> Does 262.99 actually exist and if so where can I get it please?

    > Straight after posting that I did the obvious thing and used SEARCH to
    > find and download 262.99!
    >
    > But it doesn't install. I get this:
    > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/nvidia-fail.jpg
    >
    > --
    > Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    262.99 is a 580 specific driver; the driver on the site does not have
    INF listings for any other cards. You need to modify it yourself; or
    get one from like laptopvideo2go.com, or guru3d, etc.

    I can't think of a reason why G92 based cards would have any problem
    with the 262 driver (PROVIDED YOU USE A MODIFIED INF!); but I don't
    recall any specific fixes in the past several versions that you would
    benefit from either. My 9800GTX+ maxed out around 186.18 or so
    (practically the same chip as the 8800GT). Everything up until 259.xx
    was a mixed batch.

    Get a proper INF file, replace the one in the NVIDIA directory where the
    driver extracts to (likely C:\NVIDIA\WinXP32\262.99 or some variation),
    and give it a go. Try the clean install option to be certain.

    deimos, Nov 11, 2010
  5. deimos <deimos@localhost> wrote:

    >On 11/10/2010 10:05 AM, Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >> Terry Pinnell<> wrote:

    >>> Meanwhile I had an automated email this morning advising that 262.99 was
    >>> available. But the link just takes me to the main download page. If I then
    >>> manually search I get the existing driver. And if I do an automated search
    >>> (which requires switching from Firefox to IE) I get
    >>>
    >>> "NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 260.99 Your PC currently has the latest driver
    >>> installed for your GPU. No driver update is necessary at this time."
    >>>
    >>> Does 262.99 actually exist and if so where can I get it please?

    >> Straight after posting that I did the obvious thing and used SEARCH to
    >> find and download 262.99!
    >>
    >> But it doesn't install. I get this:
    >> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/nvidia-fail.jpg
    >>
    >> --
    >> Terry, East Grinstead, UK
    >>

    >262.99 is a 580 specific driver; the driver on the site does not have
    >INF listings for any other cards. You need to modify it yourself; or
    >get one from like laptopvideo2go.com, or guru3d, etc.
    >
    >I can't think of a reason why G92 based cards would have any problem
    >with the 262 driver (PROVIDED YOU USE A MODIFIED INF!); but I don't
    >recall any specific fixes in the past several versions that you would
    >benefit from either. My 9800GTX+ maxed out around 186.18 or so
    >(practically the same chip as the 8800GT). Everything up until 259.xx
    >was a mixed batch.
    >
    >Get a proper INF file, replace the one in the NVIDIA directory where the
    >driver extracts to (likely C:\NVIDIA\WinXP32\262.99 or some variation),
    >and give it a go. Try the clean install option to be certain.

    Thanks deimos. I'm technically out of my depth with this sort of stuff, so
    I'll pass on looking for INF files etc thanks.

    But I am thinking of installing an older version. But not as old as 175.19
    which I had before upgrading to 260.99 recently. Is there a 'good'
    intermediate version anyone can recommend please. Of course, the
    occasional 'corruption' I mentioned might be nothing to do with 260.99,
    but this would help me test that.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Nov 13, 2010