    Thanks,

    Tacho

    , Sep 17, 2006

  2. Puddin' Man Guest

    Have you tried the "Minimalist Stroll"?

    Remove everything except cpu, 1 stick of mem and video.
    If no beeps, switch mem sticks. If no beeps, pull the video.
    Etc, etc.

    I think the beeps are doc'd here:

    ftp://download.intel.com/design/motherbd/bf/C3263401.pdf

    under ~POST/Beeps or somesuch. It wouldn't download
    for me.

    Luck,
    Puddin'

    On 16 Sep 2006 21:29:56 -0700, wrote:

    >Hi all-
    >
    >Recently my home-built machine with a 865gbf mb from Intel with a
    >2.4ghz P4 (no HT) stopped booting. It doesn't seem to do
    >*anything*....no beeps, no video, nothing. The hd spins up, the dvd
    >drive gets touched (light comes on for a sec) and the IR bottom of the
    >mouse lights up, but nothing after that.
    >
    >I re-seated the agp video card and that allowed it to boot up once
    >(once!) but after that, I turned it off and then it wouldn't start
    >again. I just finished tearing the machine apart, completely removing
    >the mb and all the parts, dusting them, checking for cracked
    >capacitors, etc., then gently reseat everything. Still no joy.
    >
    >The powersupply is relatively new-ish and supports P4 boards. All parts
    >are name brand and there was never any overclocking.
    >
    >Any ideas what to check next, or does it sound fried? This was a
    >replacement board for a gigabyte mb that did fry...a capacitor popped
    >and detached. Seems weird it'd happen again, but who knows.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Tacho

    Pease pudding hot,
    Pease pudding cold,
    Pease pudding in the pot
    Nine days old.

    Puddin' Man, Sep 17, 2006

  3. Bob Bailin Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi all-
    >
    > Recently my home-built machine with a 865gbf mb from Intel with a
    > 2.4ghz P4 (no HT) stopped booting. It doesn't seem to do
    > *anything*....no beeps, no video, nothing. The hd spins up, the dvd
    > drive gets touched (light comes on for a sec) and the IR bottom of the
    > mouse lights up, but nothing after that.
    >
    > I re-seated the agp video card and that allowed it to boot up once
    > (once!) but after that, I turned it off and then it wouldn't start
    > again. I just finished tearing the machine apart, completely removing
    > the mb and all the parts, dusting them, checking for cracked
    > capacitors, etc., then gently reseat everything. Still no joy.
    >
    > The powersupply is relatively new-ish and supports P4 boards. All parts
    > are name brand and there was never any overclocking.
    >
    > Any ideas what to check next, or does it sound fried? This was a
    > replacement board for a gigabyte mb that did fry...a capacitor popped
    > and detached. Seems weird it'd happen again, but who knows.

    Try swapping in a known good power supply. Just had one fail on me
    last week that wasn't all that old, and it didn't completely fail, just enough
    to keep the mb from booting.

    The alternative "minimalist stroll" is to remove everything from the mb
    except the cpu. The speaker should start beeping at power up due
    to lack of minimum required memory. No beeps means a defective
    mb or cpu (or a defective speaker).

    Bob

    Bob Bailin, Sep 18, 2006
  4. DaveW Guest

    The standard way to find the culprit for a home user, with your particular
    problem, is to first try replacing the PSU and see if that fixes it. That's
    the easiest step to try. If that doesn't fix it, then odds point to another
    failed motherboard.

    --
    DaveW

    DaveW, Sep 19, 2006
  5. Stephan Rose Guest

    >Try swapping in a known good power supply. Just had one fail on me
    >last week that wasn't all that old, and it didn't completely fail, just enough
    >to keep the mb from booting.

    Lucky....

    Mine failed so bad, circuit breaker shuts off just hooking it up =)

    Stephan Rose, Sep 22, 2006