problems with Biostar 210M barebone

Discussion in 'Biostar' started by Pseudonimo78, Jan 24, 2005.

  1. Pseudonimo78

    Pseudonimo78 Guest

    Hi everybody,

    I got a Biostar 210M barebone equipped with a Celeron D processor @ 2.8 GHz
    and 512 MB RAM. The system has worked fine for about one week, then it
    suddenly died. Now, if I try to turn it on, I hear the fans and see the
    power LEDs but it seems the CPU doesn't start. I've checked the CPU on
    another motherboard and it works, I've tried to replace the CPU anyway but
    it still doesn't work. The strange thing is that under certain circumstances
    (that appear to be random, I couldn't find any repeatable pattern) the
    system actually boots a couple of times, before dying once again. During one
    of these boots I entered the BIOS setup and checked the voltage/temperature
    monitor: it was totally screwed up, with +12V voltage reported as 16.5V and
    the CPU temperature reported as -1°C! Of course the voltage (and
    temperature) was wrong, I measured all power supply lines with a voltage
    meter and they all were inside the tolerance limits. The power supply is
    well dimensioned because it came bundled with the barebone.
    My sensation is that something on the motherboard incorrectly detects
    "dangerous" values for voltage and/or temperature, and therefore prevents
    the system from booting.
    Any ideas?

    Cheers,
    Marco

    Pseudonimo78, Jan 24, 2005

  2. Pseudonimo78

    Chris Hill Guest

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:00:26 GMT, "Pseudonimo78" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi everybody,
    >
    >I got a Biostar 210M barebone equipped with a Celeron D processor @ 2.8 GHz
    >and 512 MB RAM. The system has worked fine for about one week, then it
    >suddenly died. Now, if I try to turn it on, I hear the fans and see the
    >power LEDs but it seems the CPU doesn't start. I've checked the CPU on
    >another motherboard and it works, I've tried to replace the CPU anyway but
    >it still doesn't work. The strange thing is that under certain circumstances
    >(that appear to be random, I couldn't find any repeatable pattern) the
    >system actually boots a couple of times, before dying once again. During one
    >of these boots I entered the BIOS setup and checked the voltage/temperature
    >monitor: it was totally screwed up, with +12V voltage reported as 16.5V and
    >the CPU temperature reported as -1°C! Of course the voltage (and
    >temperature) was wrong, I measured all power supply lines with a voltage
    >meter and they all were inside the tolerance limits. The power supply is
    >well dimensioned because it came bundled with the barebone.
    >My sensation is that something on the motherboard incorrectly detects
    >"dangerous" values for voltage and/or temperature, and therefore prevents
    >the system from booting.
    >Any ideas?

    Sounds like a bad power supply. I'd try connecting a different one
    first thing.

    Chris Hill, Jan 25, 2005

  3. Pseudonimo78

    Pseudonimo78 Guest

    > Sounds like a bad power supply. I'd try connecting a different one
    > first thing.

    I've already tried that, it worked for 5-6 reboots and then it died again
    even with the new power supply, that's why I thought of some defective
    components on the motherboard...
    I think I have nothing to do other than sending the barebone back to the
    seller... :-(

    Marco

    Pseudonimo78, Jan 25, 2005