Problems with routing tracks/effects when recording

Discussion in 'Soundblaster Live' started by David Cavallo, Jan 19, 2004.

  1. (I've just stumbled onto this group, so please accept my
    apologies if I'm asking a typical newbie question, or if this
    topic has been addressed at length in other posts.)

    I had an Soundblaster Audigy 2 Platinum card installed a few
    months back, and while I'm real happy with the quality of my
    desktop audio, I'm having some problems with "mapping" inputs and
    effects properly.

    I am running a pro mic into the 1/4" input and get great sound
    through both my speakers and the card's powerful headphone
    output. I can record audio from the card's inputs into whatever
    app I choose - from Windows' bare bones Sound Recorder, my Dell
    Music Match, etc. with great results.

    However, when I attempt to record audio into a desktop multi-
    track program (Cakewalk, Adobe Audition) the initial track
    records fine, but when I record a second track it always winds up
    recording both the audio intended for the second track AND
    whatever was already recorded on the first track. (As if it is
    "bouncing" both track one AND track two to track two in "real
    time.")

    So I can't mix my tracks independently of one another -- the
    "multi-track" aspect is pretty much useless.

    In fact, if I have any other programs that have any audio - say
    the notification sounds in Windows - they record to the tracks as
    well! (Of course I try and leave 'em off, but still...is this
    right?)

    In addition:

    I cannot get the effects from the Audigy to "write" directly to
    the recording device, no matter what it is.

    For example, if I enable a reverb effect from the EAX console
    when I'm recording, I hear the "wet" signal through the
    speakers/headphones just fine during recording, but if I turn off
    the EAX for playback, the track is dry. (This problem may be
    related to the fact that if the EAX effects are enabled any and
    all audio that I play through my computer - my mp3 player, for
    example, gets treated with the effect as well.)

    So... I'm guessing this has something to do with the "routing" of
    my audio signals from the Audigy. What I would like to be able
    to do is treat whatever is coming into the 1/4" input on the
    soundcard, so the wet sound goes right to the track, but not the
    rest of the computers audio...is this this possible?

    I've experimented with the settings in both the "Surround Mixer"
    and my other audio programs to no avail.

    Any thoughts on how to straighten this mess out?

    Many thanks in advance.

    Regards,
    David

    David Cavallo, Jan 19, 2004