    What the he11 is going on!

    Thanks for any ideas,
    bob_v
    Bob Villa, Sep 19, 2009

  2. Bob Villa

    TM Guest

    "Bob Villa" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Here's where I sit...2 different XP disks and 2 different CD drives
    > with the disks not booting.
    > A W98SE disk WILL boot from the drive.
    > If I load the CD drivers from A and go to D:cd i386 and run winnt it
    > will start the XP install then freeze a few minutes later and the HDD
    > light stays on.
    > This is an old Dim L1000R (P3,1Ghz)
    >
    > What the he11 is going on!
    >
    > Thanks for any ideas,
    > bob_v

    Use the 98SE disk to re-partition with fdisk. Then try to load XP.
    TM, Sep 19, 2009

  3. Hi!

    That system *should* boot from the CD directly, no need for a boot disk. (I
    just started a recently purchased Dell Pentium II/450 system this way, and
    it worked just fine, so anything newer should handle it as well.)

    The problem you are likely having is that Windows XP takes over control of
    the hardware from any DOS device drivers, such as the one providing access
    to the CD. To say that the drivers themselves or Windows XP won't like this
    is an understatement. You're really causing some toes to be stepped on here!

    To work around this, either boot the CD (check setup for options if you
    can't do so, such as the boot order) or prepare the hard disk to store
    files, copy the i386 directory to the hard drive and run winnt from there.

    William
    William R. Walsh, Sep 20, 2009
  4. Bob Villa

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Sep 20, 12:32 am, "William R. Walsh"
    <> wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > That system *should* boot from the CD directly, no need for a boot disk. (I
    > just started a recently purchased Dell Pentium II/450 system this way, and
    > it worked just fine, so anything newer should handle it as well.)
    >
    > The problem you are likely having is that Windows XP takes over control of
    > the hardware from any DOS device drivers, such as the one providing access
    > to the CD. To say that the drivers themselves or Windows XP won't like this
    > is an understatement. You're really causing some toes to be stepped on here!
    >
    > To work around this, either boot the CD (check setup for options if you
    > can't do so, such as the boot order) or prepare the hard disk to store
    > files, copy the i386 directory to the hard drive and run winnt from there..
    >
    > William

    Sounds good...I will give it a go!
    Thanks, William (and All)

    bob.v
    Bob Villa, Sep 20, 2009
  5. Bob Villa

    <> wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > That system *should* boot from the CD directly, no need for a boot disk. (I
    > just started a recently purchased Dell Pentium II/450 system this way, and
    > it worked just fine, so anything newer should handle it as well.)
    >
    > The problem you are likely having is that Windows XP takes over control of
    > the hardware from any DOS device drivers, such as the one providing access
    > to the CD. To say that the drivers themselves or Windows XP won't like this
    > is an understatement. You're really causing some toes to be stepped on here!
    >
    > To work around this, either boot the CD (check setup for options if you
    > can't do so, such as the boot order) or prepare the hard disk to store
    > files, copy the i386 directory to the hard drive and run winnt from there..
    >
    > William

    It still loads to the same point after loading 5k+files into C:\i386
    and running winnt from there.
    It does mention that I should install SmartDrive (I don't have the
    file or know where it is on the disk)
    It seems to freeze at the same point-after one to two min. of loading
    files.

    It's partitioned for the entire 20Megs.

    Windows XP Personal Setup

    Please wait while Setup copies files to your hard drive

    bob_v
    Bob Villa, Sep 20, 2009
  6. Bob Villa

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    Bob Villa typed on Sun, 20 Sep 2009 07:58:04 -0700 (PDT):
    > It still loads to the same point after loading 5k+files into C:\i386
    > and running winnt from there.
    > It does mention that I should install SmartDrive (I don't have the
    > file or know where it is on the disk)
    > It seems to freeze at the same point-after one to two min. of loading
    > files.
    >
    > It's partitioned for the entire 20Megs.
    >

    > Windows XP Personal Setup
    >
    > Please wait while Setup copies files to your hard drive

    Are you sure it is freezing? As without SmartDrive, the install can take
    24 hours or more. SmartDrive is like the DOS version of a pagefile (aka
    virtual memory). And it should be found on a MS-DOS disk or a Win9x CD.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307848

    --
    Bill
    Windows 2000 SP4 (5.00.2195)
    BillW50, Sep 20, 2009
  7. Bob Villa

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Sep 20, 10:27 am, "BillW50" <> wrote:
    > Innews:,
    > Bob Villa typed on Sun, 20 Sep 2009 07:58:04 -0700 (PDT):
    >
    > > It still loads to the same point after loading 5k+files into C:\i386
    > > and running winnt from there.
    > > It does mention that I should install SmartDrive (I don't have the
    > > file or know where it is on the disk)
    > > It seems to freeze at the same point-after one to two min. of loading
    > > files.

    > > It's partitioned for the entire 20Megs.

    > > Windows XP Personal Setup

    > > Please wait while Setup copies files to your hard drive

    > Are you sure it is freezing? As without SmartDrive, the install can take
    > 24 hours or more. SmartDrive is like the DOS version of a pagefile (aka
    > virtual memory). And it should be found on a MS-DOS disk or a Win9x CD.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307848
    >
    > --
    > Bill
    > Windows 2000 SP4 (5.00.2195)
    > Asus EEE PC 701G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

    Bill you are 100% correct...so the DOS portion complete loads, yay,
    but it restarts with no CD support?
    Back to same problem of no booting from an XP disk!?
    Thanks though!

    bob_v
    Bob Villa, Sep 20, 2009
  8. Bob Villa

    BillW50 Guest

    Bob Villa typed on Sun, 20 Sep 2009 09:03:51 -0700 (PDT):

    ,
    >> Bob Villa typed on Sun, 20 Sep 2009 07:58:04 -0700 (PDT):
    >>
    >>> It still loads to the same point after loading 5k+files into C:\i386
    >>> and running winnt from there.
    >>> It does mention that I should install SmartDrive (I don't have the
    >>> file or know where it is on the disk)
    >>> It seems to freeze at the same point-after one to two min. of

    >>> It's partitioned for the entire 20Megs.

    >>> Windows XP Personal Setup

    >>> Please wait while Setup copies files to your hard drive

    >> Are you sure it is freezing? As without SmartDrive, the install can
    >> take 24 hours or more. SmartDrive is like the DOS version of a
    >> pagefile (aka virtual memory). And it should be found on a MS-DOS
    >> disk or a Win9x CD.
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307848
    >>
    >> --
    >> Bill
    >> Windows 2000 SP4 (5.00.2195)
    >> Asus EEE PC 701G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

    > Bill you are 100% correct...so the DOS portion complete loads, yay,
    > but it restarts with no CD support?
    > Back to same problem of no booting from an XP disk!?
    > Thanks though!
    >
    > bob_v

    The way you are doing it, you don't need CD support. As you copied the
    i386 folder to the hard drive right? Now you are done with the CD and
    you don't need it. And then you run ntwin.exe from that folder on the
    hard drive, right? Now you install XP from the files you copied to your
    hard drive and not from the CD.

    BillW50, Sep 20, 2009
  9. Bob Villa

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Sep 20, 11:33 am, "BillW50" <> wrote:
    > Innews:,
    > Bob Villa typed on Sun, 20 Sep 2009 09:03:51 -0700 (PDT):> On Sep 20, 10:27 am, "BillW50" <> wrote:
    >
    > Innews:
    > ,
    >

    > >> Bob Villa typed on Sun, 20 Sep 2009 07:58:04 -0700 (PDT):

    > >> Are you sure it is freezing? As without SmartDrive, the install can
    > >> take 24 hours or more. SmartDrive is like the DOS version of a
    > >> pagefile (aka virtual memory). And it should be found on a MS-DOS
    > >> disk or a Win9x CD.

    > >>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307848

    > >> --
    > >> Bill
    > >> Windows 2000 SP4 (5.00.2195)
    > >> Asus EEE PC 701G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

    > > Bill you are 100% correct...so the DOS portion complete loads, yay,
    > > but it restarts with no CD support?
    > > Back to same problem of no booting from an XP disk!?
    > > Thanks though!

    > > bob_v

    > The way you are doing it, you don't need CD support. As you copied the
    > i386 folder to the hard drive right? Now you are done with the CD and
    > you don't need it. And then you run ntwin.exe from that folder on the
    > hard drive, right? Now you install XP from the files you copied to your
    > hard drive and not from the CD.
    >
    > --
    > Bill
    > Windows 2000 SP4 (5.00.2195)
    > Asus EEE PC 701G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

    I have run "winnt" which I believe is the DOS portion of the install.
    Now, at restart it doesn't find the D drive!
    It almost seems like a BIOS issue other than boot order.

    bob_v

    bob_v
    Bob Villa, Sep 20, 2009
  10. Bob Villa

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    Bob Villa typed on Sun, 20 Sep 2009 11:06:50 -0700 (PDT):
    > On Sep 20, 11:33 am, "BillW50" <> wrote:

    Innews:,
    >> The way you are doing it, you don't need CD support. As you copied
    >> the i386 folder to the hard drive right? Now you are done with the CD
    >> and you don't need it. And then you run ntwin.exe from that folder on
    >> the hard drive, right? Now you install XP from the files you copied
    >> to your hard drive and not from the CD.

    > I have run "winnt" which I believe is the DOS portion of the install.
    > Now, at restart it doesn't find the D drive!
    > It almost seems like a BIOS issue other than boot order.

    Once you copy the i386 folder files over to the hard drive from the CD,
    you are completely done with the CD. The CD drive is your drive D,
    right?

    The whole reason for copying these files over to your hard drive is to
    bypass can't find any CD issues later. Thus if during the Windows
    install it wants to find something on the CD, just point it over to
    drive C in the i386 folder. It should be totally happy with that. As all
    of the install files are there to completely install XP.

    BillW50, Sep 20, 2009
  11. Hi!

    > It still loads to the same point after loading 5k+files into C:\i386
    > and running winnt from there.
    > It does mention that I should install SmartDrive (I don't have the
    > file or know where it is on the disk)

    SmartDrive was originally bundled with DOS 6.2x, and maybe 6.x before that.
    (!!!!) I think a version of it also shipped with Windows 3.x. I know that it
    was also included with Windows 95 and 98.

    You could probably download it from somewhere if all else fails. Make sure
    the source is trustworthy.

    Without SmartDrive running, Windows XP setup run from the command line can
    take a very, very long time to complete. I think that 24 hours is an
    excessive estimate, but a few hours--maybe even overnight--wouldn't be.
    However, I never noticed setup failing to initialize and get to running
    fairly quickly after its invocation from the command prompt. It's the file
    copying that takes a truly astounding amount of time to complete.

    It might be necessary to load a driver to provide access to high memory. You
    probably won't want any other drivers running at the time.

    William
    William R. Walsh, Sep 20, 2009
  12. Bob Villa

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:k7wtm.51891$5n1.38091@attbi_s21,
    William R. Walsh typed on Sun, 20 Sep 2009 20:19:28 GMT:
    > SmartDrive was originally bundled with DOS 6.2x, and maybe 6.x before
    > that. (!!!!) I think a version of it also shipped with Windows 3.x. I
    > know that it was also included with Windows 95 and 98.

    I seem to recall it was there under MS-DOS v5 too.

    > You could probably download it from somewhere if all else fails. Make
    > sure the source is trustworthy.
    >
    > Without SmartDrive running, Windows XP setup run from the command
    > line can take a very, very long time to complete. I think that 24
    > hours is an excessive estimate, but a few hours--maybe even
    > overnight--wouldn't be...

    I saw the figure of over 24 hours from a Microsoft KB a few days ago.
    Don't know which one it was now.

    BillW50, Sep 20, 2009
  13. Bob Villa

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Sep 20, 3:19 pm, "William R. Walsh"
    <> wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > > It still loads to the same point after loading 5k+files into C:\i386
    > > and running winnt from there.
    > > It does mention that I should install SmartDrive (I don't have the
    > > file or know where it is on the disk)

    > SmartDrive was originally bundled with DOS 6.2x, and maybe 6.x before that.
    > (!!!!) I think a version of it also shipped with Windows 3.x. I know thatit
    > was also included with Windows 95 and 98.
    >
    > You could probably download it from somewhere if all else fails. Make sure
    > the source is trustworthy.
    >
    > Without SmartDrive running, Windows XP setup run from the command line can
    > take a very, very long time to complete. I think that 24 hours is an
    > excessive estimate, but a few hours--maybe even overnight--wouldn't be.
    > However, I never noticed setup failing to initialize and get to running
    > fairly quickly after its invocation from the command prompt. It's the file
    > copying that takes a truly astounding amount of time to complete.
    >
    > It might be necessary to load a driver to provide access to high memory. You
    > probably won't want any other drivers running at the time.
    >
    > William

    With SmartDrive loaded with help of a W98SE disk...the DOS portion
    loads fairly fast from either the D or C using winnt from the i386
    folder.
    But at that point it wants to reboot and then says load a disk in
    drive A.
    It still is the original problem...with a 98SE disk it starts up with
    boot from CD or HDD choice.
    With the XP disk it goes to A and looks for a bootable disk.

    The boot order is IDE CD (Sec.Master), FDD, IDE HDD (Pri.Master)

    bob_v
    Bob Villa, Sep 20, 2009
  14. Bob Villa

    Nick Guest

    On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 16:04:17 -0500, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "BillW50"
    <> wrote:

    >In news:k7wtm.51891$5n1.38091@attbi_s21,
    >William R. Walsh typed on Sun, 20 Sep 2009 20:19:28 GMT:
    >> SmartDrive was originally bundled with DOS 6.2x, and maybe 6.x before
    >> that. (!!!!) I think a version of it also shipped with Windows 3.x. I
    >> know that it was also included with Windows 95 and 98.

    >I seem to recall it was there under MS-DOS v5 too.

    According to my MS-DOS 5.0 manual (still sitting on a shelf), SmartDrive was
    included with MS-DOS 5.0.

    The version of SmartDrive that came with Win 3.1 was *older* than the
    version included in MS-DOS, but I don't remember which version of MS-DOS
    (5.0, 6.0, or 6.22) had the latest version.
    --
    Nick <mailto:>

    Nick's two rules of spammer talk:

    1. Spammers lie.
    2. If a spammer ever appears to be telling
    the truth, please refer to rule number 1.
    Nick, Sep 20, 2009
  15. Bob Villa

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    Bob Villa typed on Sun, 20 Sep 2009 15:20:31 -0700 (PDT):
    > On Sep 20, 3:19 pm, "William R. Walsh"
    > <> wrote:
    >> Hi!
    >>
    >>> It still loads to the same point after loading 5k+files into C:\i386
    >>> and running winnt from there.
    >>> It does mention that I should install SmartDrive (I don't have the
    >>> file or know where it is on the disk)

    >> SmartDrive was originally bundled with DOS 6.2x, and maybe 6.x
    >> before that. (!!!!) I think a version of it also shipped with
    >> Windows 3.x. I know that it was also included with Windows 95 and 98.
    >>
    >> You could probably download it from somewhere if all else fails.
    >> Make sure the source is trustworthy.
    >>
    >> Without SmartDrive running, Windows XP setup run from the command
    >> line can take a very, very long time to complete. I think that 24
    >> hours is an excessive estimate, but a few hours--maybe even
    >> overnight--wouldn't be. However, I never noticed setup failing to
    >> initialize and get to running fairly quickly after its invocation
    >> from the command prompt. It's the file copying that takes a truly
    >> astounding amount of time to complete.
    >>
    >> It might be necessary to load a driver to provide access to high
    >> memory. You probably won't want any other drivers running at the
    >> time.
    >>
    >> William

    > With SmartDrive loaded with help of a W98SE disk...the DOS portion
    > loads fairly fast from either the D or C using winnt from the i386
    > folder.
    > But at that point it wants to reboot and then says load a disk in
    > drive A.
    > It still is the original problem...with a 98SE disk it starts up with
    > boot from CD or HDD choice.
    > With the XP disk it goes to A and looks for a bootable disk.
    >
    > The boot order is IDE CD (Sec.Master), FDD, IDE HDD (Pri.Master)
    >
    > bob_v

    Well I don't understand why the Windows 98SE disc boots and the Windows
    XP CD doesn't for one. Have you noticed the XP CD wants you to press the
    space bar to boot from the CD? If you don't do this, it won't boot.

    Now back to the way you are doing it. The only thing I can think of why
    it isn't working for you is this. How about installing DOS on the hard
    drive?

    SYS C:
    COPY COMMAND.COM C:\

    Now you should be able to remove the CD and reboot directly to the hard
    drive. Now go to the i386 folder and run ntwin. And it shouldn't ever
    ask for anything in drive A or in the CD.

    --
    Bill
    Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
    BillW50, Sep 21, 2009
  16. Bob Villa

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:,
    Nick typed on Sun, 20 Sep 2009 18:24:57 -0400:
    > On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 16:04:17 -0500, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,
    > "BillW50" <> wrote:
    >
    >> In news:k7wtm.51891$5n1.38091@attbi_s21,
    >> William R. Walsh typed on Sun, 20 Sep 2009 20:19:28 GMT:
    >>> SmartDrive was originally bundled with DOS 6.2x, and maybe 6.x
    >>> before that. (!!!!) I think a version of it also shipped with
    >>> Windows 3.x. I know that it was also included with Windows 95 and
    >>> 98.

    >> I seem to recall it was there under MS-DOS v5 too.

    > According to my MS-DOS 5.0 manual (still sitting on a shelf),
    > SmartDrive was included with MS-DOS 5.0.

    Good job Nick! <vbg>

    BillW50, Sep 21, 2009
  17. Bob Villa

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Sep 19, 3:02 pm, Bob Villa <> wrote:
    > Here's where I sit...2 different XP disks and 2 different CD drives
    > with the disks not booting.
    > A W98SE disk WILL boot from the drive.
    > If I load the CD drivers from A and go to D:cd i386 and run winnt it
    > will start the XP install then freeze a few minutes later and the HDD
    > light stays on.
    > This is an old Dim L1000R (P3,1Ghz)
    >
    > What the he11 is going on!
    >
    > Thanks for any ideas,
    > bob_v

    I would appreciate any thoughts from Ben Myers (no disrespect to
    others who have helped)
    Thanks to all,
    bob_v
    Bob Villa, Sep 21, 2009
  18. Bob Villa

    Bob Villa Guest

    Re: Problems With XP Fresh Install...Experience Needed!(Solved)

    On Sep 21, 10:12 am, Bob Villa <> wrote:
    > On Sep 19, 3:02 pm, Bob Villa <> wrote:
    >
    > > Here's where I sit...2 different XP disks and 2 different CD drives
    > > with the disks not booting.
    > > A W98SE disk WILL boot from the drive.
    > > If I load the CD drivers from A and go to D:cd i386 and run winnt it
    > > will start the XP install then freeze a few minutes later and the HDD
    > > light stays on.
    > > This is an old Dim L1000R (P3,1Ghz)

    > > What the he11 is going on!

    > > Thanks for any ideas,
    > > bob_v

    > I would appreciate any thoughts from Ben Myers (no disrespect to
    > others who have helped)
    > Thanks to all,
    > bob_v

    Okay, here is what worked...I made a disk bootable using nLite and the
    XP disk. It took-off like the proverbial bat!

    bob_v
    Bob Villa, Sep 21, 2009
  19. Bob Villa

    On Sep 21, 4:21 pm, Bob Villa <> wrote:
    > On Sep 21, 10:12 am, Bob Villa <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Sep 19, 3:02 pm, Bob Villa <> wrote:

    > > > Here's where I sit...2 different XP disks and 2 different CD drives
    > > > with the disks not booting.
    > > > A W98SE disk WILL boot from the drive.
    > > > If I load the CD drivers from A and go to D:cd i386 and run winnt it
    > > > will start the XP install then freeze a few minutes later and the HDD
    > > > light stays on.
    > > > This is an old Dim L1000R (P3,1Ghz)

    > > > What the he11 is going on!

    > > > Thanks for any ideas,
    > > > bob_v

    > > I would appreciate any thoughts from Ben Myers (no disrespect to
    > > others who have helped)
    > > Thanks to all,
    > > bob_v

    > Okay, here is what worked...I made a disk bootable using nLite and the
    > XP disk.  It took-off like the proverbial bat!
    >
    > bob_v

    It also loaded every driver needed!
    Bob Villa, Sep 22, 2009
  20. Bob Villa

    Ben Myers Guest

    Bob Villa wrote:
    > On Sep 21, 4:21 pm, Bob Villa <> wrote:

    >>> I would appreciate any thoughts from Ben Myers (no disrespect to
    >>> others who have helped)
    >>> Thanks to all,
    >>> bob_v

    >> Okay, here is what worked...I made a disk bootable using nLite and the
    >> XP disk. It took-off like the proverbial bat!
    >>
    >> bob_v

    > It also loaded every driver needed!

    I would expect the XP install CD to have all the drivers needed, because
    the L1000R pre-dates the initial release of XP by about a year.

    .... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, Sep 22, 2009