    as well? I currently have a 300watt case, I would be grateful if someone
    could advise me.

    Colin Webb
    CW, Jan 6, 2004

  2. CW

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 21:04:57 +0000, CW wrote:

    > I am considering upgrading my motherboard and processor - from Athlon
    > M4(Thunderbird) 1.1 to an AMD XP 2800 - but will I need to get a new case
    > as well? I currently have a 300watt case, I would be grateful if someone
    > could advise me.

    If you like your current case, just replace the PS, or you could just
    upgrade the cpu only and keep the rest of your system.

    Wes Newell, Jan 6, 2004

  3. CW

    RJW Guest

    "CW" <> wrote in message

    > I am considering upgrading my motherboard and processor - from Athlon
    > M4(Thunderbird) 1.1 to an AMD XP 2800 - but will I need to get a new case
    > as well? I currently have a 300watt case, I would be grateful if someone
    > could advise me.
    > Colin Webb

    Colin,
    I just built a new 2800 system and used a Thermaltake V1000D case with an
    Antec 480 Watt PSU and haven't had a single problem.
    Good luck and let us know what happens.
    Servo
    RJW, Jan 6, 2004
  4. CW

    CW Guest

    Thanks for all the info from everyone, I have since discovered I need a PSU
    rated at least at 431Watts.
    I think I shall just replace the PSU (along with the motherboard and CPU)
    although a couple of the leads from the case (not the PSU) to the
    motherboard look a bit daunting to re-attach to my new motherboard.
    Did consider not replacing the motherboard but cannot upgrade the CPU on it.
    Colin Webb

    CW, Jan 7, 2004
  5. CW

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 12:36:15 +0000, CW wrote:

    > Did consider not replacing the motherboard but cannot upgrade the CPU on it.

    Why? Who told you you couldn't? That's what abit told me too. Does it have
    at least a 50MHz FSB? If it does (and they didnt make any socket A boards
    any slower than 100MHz) it should be able to run any socket A cpu made.
    You just have to know how, and get the right one if you want it to be
    easy. What board and chipset do you board have? See link below.

    Wes Newell, Jan 7, 2004
  6. CW

    RJW Guest

    "CW" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for all the info from everyone, I have since discovered I need a

    PSU
    > rated at least at 431Watts.
    > I think I shall just replace the PSU (along with the motherboard and CPU)
    > although a couple of the leads from the case (not the PSU) to the
    > motherboard look a bit daunting to re-attach to my new motherboard.
    > Did consider not replacing the motherboard but cannot upgrade the CPU on

    it.
    > Colin Webb

    Any leads (speaker, power, reset, etc.) from the case to the existing mobo
    should be carefully documented BEFORE detaching them. Your new mobo will
    have instructions on where these leads connect. Check them carefully before
    powering up.
    RJW, Jan 7, 2004
  7. CW

    J.Clarke Guest

    On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 19:10:58 GMT
    Wes Newell <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 12:36:15 +0000, CW wrote:
    >
    > > Did consider not replacing the motherboard but cannot upgrade the
    > > CPU on it.
    > >

    > Why? Who told you you couldn't? That's what abit told me too. Does it
    > have at least a 50MHz FSB? If it does (and they didnt make any socket
    > A boards any slower than 100MHz) it should be able to run any socket A
    > cpu made. You just have to know how, and get the right one if you want
    > it to be easy. What board and chipset do you board have? See link
    > below.

    That's like saying "if you want to become a billionaire you just have to
    know how". The "knowing how" is the catch.

    I note that you're real big on "anything can be done" but not very
    strong on "here's how to do it" except for the one or two boards with
    which you have personal experience.

    > --
    > http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.html

    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
    J.Clarke, Jan 7, 2004
  8. CW

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 16:13:08 -0500, J.Clarke wrote:

    > On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 19:10:58 GMT
    > Wes Newell <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 12:36:15 +0000, CW wrote:
    >>
    >> > Did consider not replacing the motherboard but cannot upgrade the
    >> > CPU on it.
    >> >

    >> Why? Who told you you couldn't? That's what abit told me too. Does it
    >> have at least a 50MHz FSB? If it does (and they didnt make any socket
    >> A boards any slower than 100MHz) it should be able to run any socket A
    >> cpu made. You just have to know how, and get the right one if you want
    >> it to be easy. What board and chipset do you board have? See link
    >> below.

    > That's like saying "if you want to become a billionaire you just have to
    > know how". The "knowing how" is the catch.
    >
    > I note that you're real big on "anything can be done" but not very
    > strong on "here's how to do it" except for the one or two boards with
    > which you have personal experience.

    WTF is your problem John. You've been ragging on me for a while now and
    I'm getting a little sick of it. And since I don't know which board he
    has, how the hell do you expect me to tell him how to do it. If you're so
    fucking smart, you tell him. Also, the link below applies to most boards,
    not just the ONE I have. I've pointed this out to many with different
    types of boards from many different manufacturers and they have confirmed
    everything I've said. Yes, there's a few that have had problems, but this
    proves mostly, if not entirely, to be from the lack of understanding of
    the invidual. So unless you have a crystal ball and can tell this guy how
    to do it, why not just keep your fucking insults to yourself. I was just
    pointing out that he has other options than to replace his board.

    Wes Newell, Jan 7, 2004
  9. CW

    J.Clarke Guest

    On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 23:22:27 GMT
    Wes Newell <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 16:13:08 -0500, J.Clarke wrote:
    >
    > > On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 19:10:58 GMT
    > > Wes Newell <> wrote:

    > >> Why? Who told you you couldn't? That's what abit told me too. Does

    > >it> have at least a 50MHz FSB? If it does (and they didnt make any
    > >socket> A boards any slower than 100MHz) it should be able to run any
    > >socket A> cpu made. You just have to know how, and get the right one
    > >if you want> it to be easy. What board and chipset do you board have?
    > >See link> below.
    > >
    > > That's like saying "if you want to become a billionaire you just
    > > have to know how". The "knowing how" is the catch.
    > >
    > > I note that you're real big on "anything can be done" but not very
    > > strong on "here's how to do it" except for the one or two boards
    > > with which you have personal experience.
    > >

    > WTF is your problem John.

    My problem is that your little fantasy doesn't pass reality check--you
    keep asserting over and over that any socket A chip can be used in any
    Socket A board, and it simply ain't so. You may _believe_ it is, but
    that just means that you haven't encountered a board that won't allow
    it.

    > You've been ragging on me for a while now
    > and I'm getting a little sick of it.

    Pity.

    > And since I don't know which
    > board he has, how the hell do you expect me to tell him how to do it.

    I've never seen you tell _anybody_ how to do it. And if you don't know
    what motherboard he has, how do you know that it will work?

    > If you're so fucking smart, you tell him.

    You're the self-proclaimed expert here, not me. And since I've never
    claimed that you can stick any random Athlon into any random Socket A
    board and have it work, I fail to see why I would be expected to tell
    someone how to do this.

    > Also, the link below applies
    > to most boards, not just the ONE I have.

    The link mentions specifically the KT133. It doesn't say anything at
    all about any other chipset except the KT133A, and it doesn't mention
    any brand of board but Abit. While the techniques described very likely
    will work with many other boards and chipsets, that doesn't mean that
    they will work for every board and every chipset.

    > I've pointed this out to many
    > with different types of boards from many different manufacturers and
    > they have confirmed everything I've said.

    So? "Many" is not "all"

    > Yes, there's a few that have
    > had problems, but this proves mostly, if not entirely, to be from the
    > lack of understanding of the invidual.

    Uh huh. When you can't figure out how to make it work blame the other
    guy.

    > So unless you have a crystal
    > ball and can tell this guy how to do it, why not just keep your
    > fucking insults to yourself. I was just pointing out that he has other
    > options than to replace his board.

    He has some things that he can try, with no guarantee that they'll work.

    J.Clarke, Jan 8, 2004
  10. CW

    Bill Guest

    In article <>,
    lid says...
    > On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 23:22:27 GMT

    <snip
    > you
    > keep asserting over and over that any socket A chip can be used in any
    > Socket A board, and it simply ain't so.

    <snip>

    Do you have some examples of a socket A board that won't
    work with any socket A processor?

    Bill
    Bill, Jan 8, 2004
  11. CW

    J.Clarke Guest

    On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 19:39:13 -0800
    Bill <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > lid says...
    > > On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 23:22:27 GMT

    > <snip
    > > you
    > > keep asserting over and over that any socket A chip can be used in
    > > any Socket A board, and it simply ain't so.

    > <snip>
    >
    > Do you have some examples of a socket A board that won't
    > work with any socket A processor?

    Try putting a Barton or Thorton in a Soyo K7V Dragon Plus.

    J.Clarke, Jan 8, 2004
  12. CW

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 19:26:49 -0500, J.Clarke wrote:

    > On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 23:22:27 GMT
    > Wes Newell <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 16:13:08 -0500, J.Clarke wrote:

    >> >it> have at least a 50MHz FSB? If it does (and they didnt make any
    >> >socket> A boards any slower than 100MHz) it should be able to run any
    >> >socket A> cpu made. You just have to know how, and get the right one
    >> >if you want> it to be easy. What board and chipset do you board have?
    >> >See link> below.
    >> >
    >> > That's like saying "if you want to become a billionaire you just
    >> > have to know how". The "knowing how" is the catch.
    >> >
    >> > I note that you're real big on "anything can be done" but not very
    >> > strong on "here's how to do it" except for the one or two boards
    >> > with which you have personal experience.
    >> >

    >> WTF is your problem John.

    > My problem is that your little fantasy doesn't pass reality check--you
    > keep asserting over and over that any socket A chip can be used in any
    > Socket A board, and it simply ain't so. You may _believe_ it is, but
    > that just means that you haven't encountered a board that won't allow
    > it.

    Well, if they have a socket A, then they have an Athlon chipset, so why
    don't you enlighten everyone and specify which chipet won't support an XP
    cpu. All the ones I know of will, including all AMD, VIA, SIS, Nvidia, and
    even Ali. It's obvious I don't have all these, but from the specs of the
    chipsets, and the specs on the cpu's, they should all work in any properly
    designed board.

    >> And since I don't know which
    >> board he has, how the hell do you expect me to tell him how to do it.

    > I've never seen you tell _anybody_ how to do it. And if you don't know
    > what motherboard he has, how do you know that it will work?

    If you had read my reply more carefully you might have noticed where I
    asked him which MB and chipset he had. Without that I could only give him
    the basics. As for telling people how to do it, just look at my web site.
    And if you've never seen me tell anyone how to do it, you're blind. I've
    done so in several NG's, not to mention the more than 100 emails I
    recieved and answered. I only did the website because I was tired of
    repeating myself every day. I've probably posted 500 messages on how to do
    it.

    >> Also, the link below applies
    >> to most boards, not just the ONE I have.

    > The link mentions specifically the KT133. It doesn't say anything at
    > all about any other chipset except the KT133A, and it doesn't mention
    > any brand of board but Abit. While the techniques described very likely
    > will work with many other boards and chipsets, that doesn't mean that
    > they will work for every board and every chipset.

    I see you didn't read the website very good either. I used references to
    the KT133 chipset in a couple of places, but in others there is no chipset
    even mentioned. There's no chipset even mention in the Tbred info, nor in
    the original part of the multiplier cross reference. But if you don't like
    my website, well....

    >> Yes, there's a few that have
    >> had problems, but this proves mostly, if not entirely, to be from the
    >> lack of understanding of the invidual.

    > Uh huh. When you can't figure out how to make it work blame the other
    > guy.

    BS. I'm not where they are. I can only tell them what they need to do. i
    can't do it for them. Nor do I owe anyone anything. Just this week someone
    said a 2400+ wouldn't work in their board (KT7A). I told them again that
    it would and they weren't doing something right. Gues what, he got it
    working (had a ram that wouldn't do 133Mhz). Perhaps you can reach
    through time and space to cure these peoples problems, but I'm only human
    and can only give them the knowledge that it will work, done properly. Too
    many are are too quick to give up when it doesn't work the first time they
    try.

    >> So unless you have a crystal
    >> ball and can tell this guy how to do it, why not just keep your
    >> fucking insults to yourself. I was just pointing out that he has other
    >> options than to replace his board.

    > He has some things that he can try, with no guarantee that they'll work.

    If it's done right it will work.

    Wes Newell, Jan 8, 2004
  13. CW

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 01:26:28 -0500, J.Clarke wrote:

    > On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 19:39:13 -0800
    > Bill <> wrote:
    >
    >> Do you have some examples of a socket A board that won't
    >> work with any socket A processor?

    > Try putting a Barton or Thorton in a Soyo K7V Dragon Plus.

    Was Skids answer to this recently not to your liking? I didn't bother to
    reply. And don't intend to.

    "J.Clarke" <> wrote in message

    > OK, Wes, since you claim that a Barton will run on any chipset, how do I
    > get a Barton to run on a Soyo K7V Dragon Plus?

    I'm not Wes, but if you'll search the Soyo forum at http://forums.amdmb.com/
    you'll see that a number of people are successfully running Bartons on that
    board. Apparently the 3000+ is the best bet to run at or near its rated
    speed. Some of them are using modified bios files and cap mods to increase
    the odds of success. Can't vouch for any of it personally, but I found lots
    of folks who say it can be done.

    Wes Newell, Jan 8, 2004
  14. CW

    Bill Guest

    In article <>,
    lid says...
    > On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 19:39:13 -0800
    > Bill <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > lid says...
    > > > On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 23:22:27 GMT

    > > <snip
    > > > you
    > > > keep asserting over and over that any socket A chip can be used in
    > > > any Socket A board, and it simply ain't so.

    > > <snip>
    > >
    > > Do you have some examples of a socket A board that won't
    > > work with any socket A processor?

    > Try putting a Barton or Thorton in a Soyo K7V Dragon Plus.
    >
    > > Bill

    A Google search:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
    &threadm=94f3db7e.0308150938.3e658236%
    40posting.google.com&rnum=4&prev=/groups%3Fq%3DSoyo%2BK7V%
    2BDragon%2BPlus%2Bbarton%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%
    26oe%3DUTF-8%26selm%3D94f3db7e.0308150938.3e658236%
    2540posting.google.com%26rnum%3D4

    http://tinyurl.com/269eh

    did turn up a guy that said Bartons would run on the board
    after modding it:

    "For info on what mods are needed on the D+ boards go to:
    http://www.amdforums.com/showthread.php?s=
    99dfb629bcba630b5d99232daee1aa32&threadid=193409
    and read thru the posts. Yes, the Barton chips work on the
    D+ boards
    after the mods are done. However, only the 3000+ makes any
    sense
    because
    the other 2 Barton chips don't allow for the higher
    multiplier values
    to be used unless you do the wire/pin trick on the cpu
    itself.
    If your interested in more info on running a Barton chip,
    email me and
    I will send you info.

    Andy"

    http://tinyurl.com/27lzw < his amdforum ref. >

    I admit that's a lot more work than I would put into it.
    Especially since you'd probably have to mod the multipliers
    on the cpu also.

    Do you have knowledge of any that will flat not work at
    all? Such as, voltage/current requirements that the board
    can't meet, and/or modding it to meet the Barton/Thornton
    requirements would be prohibitively expensive < say, more
    than the cost of a newboard >?

    Bill
    Bill, Jan 8, 2004
  15. CW

    CW Guest

    Guys, calm down I am amazed at all the fuss I have caused over my intentions
    to upgrade my motherboard, the model is by the way the Jetway 8363-686A with
    the VIA KT/133/A chipset and the Athlon M4(Thunderbird) 650-1.4G CPU.
    I was assured that I could not upgrade further than a 1.4 gig processor.
    Obviously you people know more than I do so further advice is welcome.
    CWebb

    CW, Jan 8, 2004
  16. CW

    J.Clarke Guest

    On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 08:13:21 GMT
    Wes Newell <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 19:26:49 -0500, J.Clarke wrote:
    >
    > > On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 23:22:27 GMT
    > > Wes Newell <> wrote:

    > >Does> >it> have at least a 50MHz FSB? If it does (and they didnt make
    > >any> >socket> A boards any slower than 100MHz) it should be able to
    > >run any> >socket A> cpu made. You just have to know how, and get the
    > >right one> >if you want> it to be easy. What board and chipset do you
    > >board have?> >See link> below.

    > >very> > strong on "here's how to do it" except for the one or two
    > >boards> > with which you have personal experience.
    > >> >
    > >> WTF is your problem John.

    > > My problem is that your little fantasy doesn't pass reality
    > > check--you keep asserting over and over that any socket A chip can
    > > be used in any Socket A board, and it simply ain't so. You may
    > > _believe_ it is, but that just means that you haven't encountered a
    > > board that won't allow it.
    > >

    > Well, if they have a socket A, then they have an Athlon chipset, so
    > why don't you enlighten everyone and specify which chipet won't
    > support an XP cpu. All the ones I know of will, including all AMD,
    > VIA, SIS, Nvidia, and even Ali. It's obvious I don't have all these,
    > but from the specs of the chipsets, and the specs on the cpu's, they
    > should all work in any properly designed board.

    You're assuming that the chipset is the only issue. It's not, the BIOS
    is also an issue. You're also assuming that all boards meet your
    standard of "properly designed".

    > >> And since I don't know which
    > >> board he has, how the hell do you expect me to tell him how to do

    > >it.
    > >
    > > I've never seen you tell _anybody_ how to do it. And if you don't
    > > know what motherboard he has, how do you know that it will work?
    > >

    > If you had read my reply more carefully you might have noticed where I
    > asked him which MB and chipset he had. Without that I could only give
    > him the basics. As for telling people how to do it, just look at my
    > web site.

    I've seen it, and it has some general comments that one can find
    elsewhere but no specifics for any board but the one that you have.

    > And if you've never seen me tell anyone how to do it, you're
    > blind. I've done so in several NG's,

    Perhaps you have, when I have nothing better to do I'll look this up.

    > not to mention the more than 100
    > emails I recieved and answered.

    Alas, I have neglected to hack your machine so as to read your emails.

    > I only did the website because I was
    > tired of repeating myself every day. I've probably posted 500 messages
    > on how to do it.
    >
    > >> Also, the link below applies
    > >> to most boards, not just the ONE I have.

    > > The link mentions specifically the KT133. It doesn't say anything
    > > at all about any other chipset except the KT133A, and it doesn't
    > > mention any brand of board but Abit. While the techniques described
    > > very likely will work with many other boards and chipsets, that
    > > doesn't mean that they will work for every board and every chipset.
    > >

    > I see you didn't read the website very good either. I used references
    > to the KT133 chipset in a couple of places, but in others there is no
    > chipset even mentioned. There's no chipset even mention in the Tbred
    > info, nor in the original part of the multiplier cross reference. But
    > if you don't like my website, well....

    And the Tbred info and the multiplier cross reference and so on are very
    handy once you get the thing to run at all, but they don't tell you how
    to make it run, just how to make it faster.

    > >> Yes, there's a few that have
    > >> had problems, but this proves mostly, if not entirely, to be from

    > >the> lack of understanding of the invidual.
    > >
    > > Uh huh. When you can't figure out how to make it work blame the
    > > other guy.
    > >

    > BS. I'm not where they are. I can only tell them what they need to do.
    > i can't do it for them. Nor do I owe anyone anything. Just this week
    > someone said a 2400+ wouldn't work in their board (KT7A). I told them
    > again that it would and they weren't doing something right. Gues what,
    > he got it working (had a ram that wouldn't do 133Mhz). Perhaps you can
    > reach through time and space to cure these peoples problems, but I'm
    > only human and can only give them the knowledge that it will work,
    > done properly. Too many are are too quick to give up when it doesn't
    > work the first time they try.
    >
    > >> So unless you have a crystal
    > >> ball and can tell this guy how to do it, why not just keep your
    > >> fucking insults to yourself. I was just pointing out that he has

    > >other> options than to replace his board.
    > >
    > > He has some things that he can try, with no guarantee that they'll
    > > work.
    > >

    > If it's done right it will work.

    That's a tautology--it's true but meaningless. The issue is that "done
    right" may involve a good deal of reverse-engineering.

    J.Clarke, Jan 8, 2004
  17. CW

    J.Clarke Guest

    On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 00:51:39 -0800
    Bill <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > lid says...
    > > On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 19:39:13 -0800
    > > Bill <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > In article <>,
    > > > lid says...
    > > >
    > > > <snip
    > > >
    > > > <snip>
    > > >
    > > > Do you have some examples of a socket A board that won't
    > > > work with any socket A processor?

    > > Try putting a Barton or Thorton in a Soyo K7V Dragon Plus.
    > >
    > > > Bill

    > A Google search:
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
    > &threadm=94f3db7e.0308150938.3e658236%
    > 40posting.google.com&rnum=4&prev=/groups%3Fq%3DSoyo%2BK7V%
    > 2BDragon%2BPlus%2Bbarton%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%
    > 26oe%3DUTF-8%26selm%3D94f3db7e.0308150938.3e658236%
    > 2540posting.google.com%26rnum%3D4
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/269eh
    >
    > did turn up a guy that said Bartons would run on the board
    > after modding it:
    >
    > "For info on what mods are needed on the D+ boards go to:
    > http://www.amdforums.com/showthread.php?s=
    > 99dfb629bcba630b5d99232daee1aa32&threadid=193409
    > and read thru the posts. Yes, the Barton chips work on the
    > D+ boards
    > after the mods are done. However, only the 3000+ makes any
    > sense
    > because
    > the other 2 Barton chips don't allow for the higher
    > multiplier values
    > to be used unless you do the wire/pin trick on the cpu
    > itself.
    > If your interested in more info on running a Barton chip,
    > email me and
    > I will send you info.
    >
    > Andy"
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/27lzw < his amdforum ref. >
    >
    > I admit that's a lot more work than I would put into it.
    > Especially since you'd probably have to mod the multipliers
    > on the cpu also.
    >
    > Do you have knowledge of any that will flat not work at
    > all? Such as, voltage/current requirements that the board
    > can't meet, and/or modding it to meet the Barton/Thornton
    > requirements would be prohibitively expensive < say, more
    > than the cost of a newboard >?

    Thanks for that information--I knew if I pissed enough people off
    somebody would come up with an answer if there was one. Now, let's see
    what kind of capacitors I've got in the junk box . . .

    J.Clarke, Jan 8, 2004
  18. CW

    J.Clarke Guest

    On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 08:21:24 GMT
    Wes Newell <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 01:26:28 -0500, J.Clarke wrote:
    >
    > > On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 19:39:13 -0800
    > > Bill <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Do you have some examples of a socket A board that won't
    > >> work with any socket A processor?

    > > Try putting a Barton or Thorton in a Soyo K7V Dragon Plus.
    > >

    > Was Skids answer to this recently not to your liking? I didn't bother
    > to reply. And don't intend to.

    I have no idea who "Skid" is or where he answered. But your "I didn't
    bother to reply and I don't intend to" shows the problem with your
    attitude.

    So it looks like the D+ can be modded, however there's a good chance
    that anybody who tries it as his first-time electronics project is going
    to kill the board dead. But you never put caveats like _that_ in
    either, unlike the guy who actually came up with the mod.

    > "J.Clarke" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > OK, Wes, since you claim that a Barton will run on any chipset, how
    > > do I get a Barton to run on a Soyo K7V Dragon Plus?
    > >

    > I'm not Wes,

    Then why are you using his account?

    > but if you'll search the Soyo forum at > http://forums.amdmb.com/
    > you'll see that a number of people are successfully running Bartons on
    > that board. Apparently the 3000+ is the best bet to run at or near its
    > rated speed. Some of them are using modified bios files and cap mods
    > to increase the odds of success. Can't vouch for any of it personally,
    > but I found lots of folks who say it can be done.

    Goody.

    J.Clarke, Jan 8, 2004
  19. CW

    Bill Guest

    In article <>,
    lid says...

    <snip>

    > Thanks for that information--I knew if I pissed enough people off
    > somebody would come up with an answer if there was one. Now, let's see
    > what kind of capacitors I've got in the junk box . . .
    >
    > > Bill

    I don't remember getting p.o.'d, just getting my curiousity
    piqued.

    Bill
    Bill, Jan 8, 2004
  20. CW

    Bill Guest

    In article <kWaLb.21$kP4.113601@newsfep2-
    gui.server.ntli.net>, says...
    > Guys, calm down I am amazed at all the fuss I have caused over my intentions
    > to upgrade my motherboard,

    Welcome to Usenet, where Fuss is the name of the game.

    > the model is by the way the Jetway 8363-686A with
    > the VIA KT/133/A chipset and the Athlon M4(Thunderbird) 650-1.4G CPU.
    > I was assured that I could not upgrade further than a 1.4 gig processor.
    > Obviously you people know more than I do so further advice is welcome.
    > CWebb

    You are aware you can get Athlon motherboards starting at
    around $40.00 USD < plus shipping >?

    Bill
    Bill, Jan 8, 2004