    supports 533mhz as max? I want to upgrade a 2.4 one of the above
    mentioned as I barely can get a 2.8 at 533 mhz.

    Rob
    RobB, Jan 17, 2005

  2. RobB

    Sept1967 Guest

    800Mhz FSB = 200MHz actual (Quad pumped)
    15x multiplier x 200MHz actual = 3.0GHz

    533Mhz FSB = 166MHz actual (Quad pumped)

    Your same 800FSB 3.0Ghz P4 would only be running 2.5GHz due to
    multiplier.(if it worked at all)

    Sept1967, Jan 18, 2005

  3. RobB

    Jody Sleath Guest

    From experience, trying to get an 800FSB CPU running on a board meant for
    533FSB... not fun. Most multipliers are locked, so you would have to
    decrease the frequency of the chip to make it stable, there for decreasing
    your over all speed. As the previous poster said, 2.5ghz is hardly an
    upgrade. And paying a couple hundred dollars to upgrade to a 2.8, just to
    gain 200mhz and then lost more to make it stable... not the best idea. Wait
    it out, let the prices on the 3.6s drop a bit and buy a whole new board and
    RAM with it.

    Jody Sleath, Jan 18, 2005
  4. RobB

    Bob Knowlden Guest

    A minor correction: 533 = 4 X 133.

    15X133 would give 2.0 GHz.

    A 3.2 GHz CPU would give 16X133, or 2.13 GHz.

    (I used to overclock a P4 1.6a to that.)

    That'd be a downgrade in either case, if it ran.

    I wonder if the OP's mainboard would accept a Prescott 2.8/533? Possibly
    not.

    Bob Knowlden, Jan 18, 2005