    am able to obtain a recovery disc for this particular model from another user
    will I be able to use "my product key" to install the tablet software and
    still be legal?

    Martin, Dec 21, 2008

  2. Martin wrote:

    > I recently purchased a used Acer Travelmate C302XCI with the hard
    > drive wiped clean and no software discs. I contacted Acer Support
    > to purchase the recovery discs. Per Acer they refuse to supply any
    > "rcovery discs" for products shipped prior to Jan 2006 (this being
    > the case with this Acer).

    Really bad.
    Did you try to "escalate" the case to a higher level?

    > If I am able to obtain a recovery disc
    > for this particular model from another user will I be able to use
    > "my product key" to install the tablet software and still be legal?

    There would not be a *legal* problem. The machine came with a valid
    licence bound to the hardware.

    The problem would be to get hold of the proper CDs.
    It could be that CDs from another manufacturer might work as well. But
    the editions of XP TabletPC were manufacturer specific so that the key
    printed on the OS-label on your machine might not fit for CDs from a
    different manufacturer.The CDs for my HP tc1100 f.e. install without
    needing a key. Obviously the install is checking for the hardware.

    Rainald

    Rainald Taesler, Dec 27, 2008

  3. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Rainald,
    I didn't think their would be a problem regarding the product key issue but
    was wanting a little reassurance. Thanks.

    I had called Acer on two different occasions (plus a few email support
    messeges) with the same response regarding the recovery discs. Both times
    with the same result, they won't supply anything shipped prior to 2006. I
    will try to "escalate" this to a higher level but I don't expect any positive
    result from Acer as I don't think Acer has long term goals in mind regarding
    their product or customer.

    I have been targeting sellers only of the Acer model that I have. I new the
    potential problem / conflict that may occur regarding drivers. While I
    haven't been able to secure the recovery discs yet I have had luck with using
    the Wacom drivers with XP Pro to enable the tablet functionality recommended
    by a Acer travelmate seller that is running XP Pro since he also couldn't
    secure recovery discs either.
    Since I don't now what functions I may be misssing out on I am just using
    Ubuntu 8.04 OS in the mean time until I can get the discs.

    Martin, Jan 3, 2009