    I'm talking to Dell tech support about this problem, but things are
    going slowly. I wonder whether anyone here is familiar with it, and
    can suggest a solution.

    Jonathan Sachs, Jan 28, 2007

  2. Jonathan Sachs

    Jay B Guest

    try turning off the "report keyboard errors" prompt in the cmos setup.
    that will cause it to not check for a valid keyboard and continue.
    hopefully, windows will have the internal drivr needed for it and it
    will work.
    you may need to use a regular usb keyboard for the initial setup.
    i.e. plug in both keyboards, his special keyboard thru the usb adapter,
    and a regular dell usb keyboard from another soruce. then boot up and
    get windows fully running, and it will hopfully work from both
    keyboards, then shut down, remove your std usb keyboard, turn off the
    cmos setting, and your good to go.

    Jay B, Jan 28, 2007

  3. Jonathan Sachs

    Lez Pawl Guest

    "Jonathan Sachs" <> wrote in message
    > My father recently purchased a Dell Dimension E520 computer, and I'm
    > trying to set it up for him. I'm having a problem with the keyboard.
    > He uses a special keyboard with large print on the keys, and it's not
    > working with his computer.
    >
    > The keyboard has a PS/2 plug. When we discovered that the E520 has no
    > PS/2 connector, I purchased a keyboard/mouse adapter to connect the
    > keyboard to a USB connector. On my own computer this combination
    > works fine; in fact, I'm using it right now. When we try to boot the
    > E520 with his keyboard and the adapter, all it does is display the
    > POST banner. Then it halts and emits a continuous, high-pitched beep.
    >
    > I'm talking to Dell tech support about this problem, but things are
    > going slowly. I wonder whether anyone here is familiar with it, and
    > can suggest a solution.

    I understood that those adaptors only work on boards that are supplied with
    them.

    ie 3rd party adaptors do not always work with any board...

    Lez Pawl, Jan 28, 2007
  4. Jonathan Sachs

    Boris Guest

    Jonathan Sachs <> wrote in

    > My father recently purchased a Dell Dimension E520 computer, and I'm
    > trying to set it up for him. I'm having a problem with the keyboard.
    > He uses a special keyboard with large print on the keys, and it's not
    > working with his computer.
    >
    > The keyboard has a PS/2 plug. When we discovered that the E520 has no
    > PS/2 connector, I purchased a keyboard/mouse adapter to connect the
    > keyboard to a USB connector. On my own computer this combination
    > works fine; in fact, I'm using it right now. When we try to boot the
    > E520 with his keyboard and the adapter, all it does is display the
    > POST banner. Then it halts and emits a continuous, high-pitched beep.
    >
    > I'm talking to Dell tech support about this problem, but things are
    > going slowly. I wonder whether anyone here is familiar with it, and
    > can suggest a solution.

    I went through something similar on January 7. I don't know if you'll be
    able to accomplish what you'd like to do. See this thread:
    <>

    My Dim4550 originally came with a PS2 kbd and a USB to PS2 adapter so
    that I could either plug it into the Dim4550 PS2 port, or a USB port. It
    worked fine either way.

    Later, I got another, slimmer kbd from Dell, that had a USB connector,
    but didn't come with a PS2 converter. I wanted to plug it into the
    Dim4550 PS2 port so as not to use up a USB port. Using the old USB to
    PS2 converter from the older Dell kbd, I plugged the new Dell kbd into
    the Dim4550 PS2 port, but only got kbd failure on POST. I tried
    configuring the BIOS to ignore the failure message, and to use onboard
    USB support while booting, but still, the kbd would not work.

    I talked with our IT department at work (we buy Dells) and they told me
    that the USB to PS2 converters wasn't working since the pinout on the
    newer kbd was not the same as the pinout on kbds that come with a USB to
    PS2 converters.

    You might take a look at this reply, by William R. Walsh, to my post of
    January 7:
    <xDeoh.297073$FQ1.236299@attbi_s71>

    I understand that you are trying to make the opposite conversion (PS2 to
    USB), but I suspect you may have the same problem as I had. I also
    understand that you are able to get this configuration to work on your
    own machine; I have a PS2 to USB adapter that I use on a PS2 kbd on an
    older machine I have, and it works fine, probably because it's an older
    machine.

    Give JayB's suggestion a try, though, and let us know if it works.

    BTW, if the articles I cited are no longer on your news server, and if
    you still want to see them, let me know and I'll copy and paste.

    Good luck.

    Boris, Jan 29, 2007
  5. On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 15:18:22 -0500, Jay B <> wrote:

    >try turning off the "report keyboard errors" prompt in the cmos setup....

    That unfortunately did not work. Even with reporting turned off, and
    even with both keyboards plugged in, the computer just sat there and
    screamed at me.

    I called Dell tech support and they told me that the E520 only works
    with USB 2.0 keyboards. Presumably the converter I got is USB 1.1.
    (I have not had a chance to call the vendor and ask yet.) They
    switched me for Sales to information about where to find a USB 2.0
    keyboard converter, but after a half hour on hold I ran out of time to
    wait.

    I'm going to call around today, and call Dell sales back if I have to,
    and figure out what to do next.

    Jonathan Sachs, Jan 31, 2007
  6. Jonathan Sachs

    Tom Scales Guest

    > On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 15:18:22 -0500, Jay B <> wrote:
    >
    >>try turning off the "report keyboard errors" prompt in the cmos setup....

    > That unfortunately did not work. Even with reporting turned off, and
    > even with both keyboards plugged in, the computer just sat there and
    > screamed at me.
    >
    > I called Dell tech support and they told me that the E520 only works
    > with USB 2.0 keyboards. Presumably the converter I got is USB 1.1.
    > (I have not had a chance to call the vendor and ask yet.) They
    > switched me for Sales to information about where to find a USB 2.0
    > keyboard converter, but after a half hour on hold I ran out of time to
    > wait.
    >
    > I'm going to call around today, and call Dell sales back if I have to,
    > and figure out what to do next.

    USB2.0 keyboard converter?

    That has to be my biggest laugh of the day. No such thing. They made it
    up.

    Some keyboards just won't convert on the new machines.

    Tom Scales, Jan 31, 2007
  7. On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 09:12:33 -0500, "Tom Scales" <>
    wrote:

    >Some keyboards just won't convert on the new machines.

    Do you knw how I can find a keyboard that will work? If a standard
    PS/2 keyboard with a converter won't work, I don't know whether I can
    safely assume that a standard USB keyboard will work.

    Jonathan Sachs, Jan 31, 2007
  8. Jonathan Sachs

    Tom Scales Guest

    > On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 09:12:33 -0500, "Tom Scales" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Some keyboards just won't convert on the new machines.

    > Do you knw how I can find a keyboard that will work? If a standard
    > PS/2 keyboard with a converter won't work, I don't know whether I can
    > safely assume that a standard USB keyboard will work.

    Never seen a USB keyboard fail to work on a USB port.

    Tom Scales, Jan 31, 2007
  9. I talked to Dell sales (I was on hold when I typed my previous
    message) and they sold me a keyboard adapter which they specifically
    assure me will work with the E520. It should arrive sometime next
    week, and we will see. If it works, great. If not, I will return it
    and buy him a new large-print keyboard.

    Jonathan Sachs, Jan 31, 2007
  10. Try the USB to PS/2 keyboard adapter at this site:

    http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/11298/subcatid/0/id/131781

    [scroll down to the bottom of the page]

    Barry Watzman, Jan 31, 2007
  11. Jonathan Sachs wrote:
    > My father recently purchased a Dell Dimension E520 computer, and I'm
    > trying to set it up for him. I'm having a problem with the keyboard.
    > He uses a special keyboard with large print on the keys, and it's not
    > working with his computer.
    >
    > The keyboard has a PS/2 plug. When we discovered that the E520 has no
    > PS/2 connector, I purchased a keyboard/mouse adapter to connect the
    > keyboard to a USB connector. On my own computer this combination
    > works fine; in fact, I'm using it right now. When we try to boot the
    > E520 with his keyboard and the adapter, all it does is display the
    > POST banner. Then it halts and emits a continuous, high-pitched beep.
    >
    > I'm talking to Dell tech support about this problem, but things are
    > going slowly. I wonder whether anyone here is familiar with it, and
    > can suggest a solution.

    I'm having kind of the same problem, but with a numeric keypad. Being
    left handed it is difficult for me to operate the keypad on the
    keyboard. I purchased a dell numeric keypad on eBay that has a PS/2 and
    bought an adapter to make it a USB. It has never worked, and the
    computer does not recognize the hardware. Any suggestions?

    justwondering, Feb 4, 2007
  12. Jonathan Sachs

    Tom Scales Guest

    "justwondering" <> wrote in message
    > Jonathan Sachs wrote:
    >> My father recently purchased a Dell Dimension E520 computer, and I'm
    >> trying to set it up for him. I'm having a problem with the keyboard.
    >> He uses a special keyboard with large print on the keys, and it's not
    >> working with his computer.
    >>
    >> The keyboard has a PS/2 plug. When we discovered that the E520 has no
    >> PS/2 connector, I purchased a keyboard/mouse adapter to connect the
    >> keyboard to a USB connector. On my own computer this combination
    >> works fine; in fact, I'm using it right now. When we try to boot the
    >> E520 with his keyboard and the adapter, all it does is display the
    >> POST banner. Then it halts and emits a continuous, high-pitched beep.
    >>
    >> I'm talking to Dell tech support about this problem, but things are
    >> going slowly. I wonder whether anyone here is familiar with it, and
    >> can suggest a solution.

    > I'm having kind of the same problem, but with a numeric keypad. Being
    > left handed it is difficult for me to operate the keypad on the keyboard.
    > I purchased a dell numeric keypad on eBay that has a PS/2 and bought an
    > adapter to make it a USB. It has never worked, and the computer does not
    > recognize the hardware. Any suggestions?

    It is not an inexpensive solution, but should solve the problem:

    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2162,CONTENTID=9575

    Tom Scales, Feb 4, 2007
  13. Jonathan Sachs

    Jim Macklin Guest

    www.cyberguys.com has
    http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?productID=10134
    about $8.50

    Jim Macklin, Feb 4, 2007
  14. Tom Scales wrote:
    > "justwondering" <> wrote in message
    >> Jonathan Sachs wrote:
    >>> My father recently purchased a Dell Dimension E520 computer, and I'm
    >>> trying to set it up for him. I'm having a problem with the keyboard.
    >>> He uses a special keyboard with large print on the keys, and it's not
    >>> working with his computer.
    >>>
    >>> The keyboard has a PS/2 plug. When we discovered that the E520 has no
    >>> PS/2 connector, I purchased a keyboard/mouse adapter to connect the
    >>> keyboard to a USB connector. On my own computer this combination
    >>> works fine; in fact, I'm using it right now. When we try to boot the
    >>> E520 with his keyboard and the adapter, all it does is display the
    >>> POST banner. Then it halts and emits a continuous, high-pitched beep.
    >>>
    >>> I'm talking to Dell tech support about this problem, but things are
    >>> going slowly. I wonder whether anyone here is familiar with it, and
    >>> can suggest a solution.

    >> I'm having kind of the same problem, but with a numeric keypad. Being
    >> left handed it is difficult for me to operate the keypad on the keyboard.
    >> I purchased a dell numeric keypad on eBay that has a PS/2 and bought an
    >> adapter to make it a USB. It has never worked, and the computer does not
    >> recognize the hardware. Any suggestions?

    > It is not an inexpensive solution, but should solve the problem:
    >
    > http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2162,CONTENTID=9575

    gosh I just got a new Logitech for Christmas...wish I had seen that one
    first...

    justwondering, Feb 4, 2007
  15. The adapter Dell sold me arrived late last week. Today I visited my
    father to install it. It didn't work any better than the first one
    did. Tomorrow I will send it back and see about ordering him a USB
    keyboard.

    Jonathan Sachs, Feb 4, 2007
  16. On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 21:04:40 GMT, I wrote:

    >The adapter Dell sold me arrived late last week. Today I visited my
    >father to install it. It didn't work any better than the first one
    >did. Tomorrow I will send it back and see about ordering him a USB
    >keyboard.

    It turned out not to be that simple. There seems to be no such thing
    as a large-print USB keyboard. They are all PS/2. Some say "USB
    compatible," but apparently that only means that they come with a free
    converter.

    One person pointed out to me that Dell sells a PCI adapter with PS/2
    keyboard and mouse connectors on it. The model number is GX520. The
    item description says it's for an OptiPlex computer, but I wonder if
    it would work just as well on a Dimension.

    Jonathan Sachs, Feb 12, 2007
  17. Jonathan Sachs

    Tom Scales Guest

    > On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 21:04:40 GMT, I wrote:
    >
    >>The adapter Dell sold me arrived late last week. Today I visited my
    >>father to install it. It didn't work any better than the first one
    >>did. Tomorrow I will send it back and see about ordering him a USB
    >>keyboard.

    > It turned out not to be that simple. There seems to be no such thing
    > as a large-print USB keyboard. They are all PS/2. Some say "USB
    > compatible," but apparently that only means that they come with a free
    > converter.
    >
    > One person pointed out to me that Dell sells a PCI adapter with PS/2
    > keyboard and mouse connectors on it. The model number is GX520. The
    > item description says it's for an OptiPlex computer, but I wonder if
    > it would work just as well on a Dimension.

    The GX520 IS the Optiplex. It's is not a PCI card, it is just uses the
    opening of a slot to mount the connectors. It plugs into a socket on the
    motherboard.

    I have one, but haven't tried it yet. The Dimension 9200 has the socket, so
    it should work.

    Tom Scales, Feb 12, 2007
  18. On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 18:56:09 -0500, "Tom Scales" <>
    wrote:

    >The GX520 IS the Optiplex. It's is not a PCI card, it is just uses the
    >opening of a slot to mount the connectors. It plugs into a socket on the
    >motherboard.
    >
    >I have one, but haven't tried it yet. The Dimension 9200 has the socket, so
    >it should work.

    Thank you! I gather that you have a Dimension (and that they all use
    the same motherboard). If you have a chance to give it a try for me,
    I will be grateful for the additional information.

    I will take this up with tech support when I can reach them. (They
    are not returning my phone calls. The idea that they must call me
    back at the number I leave for them, rather than my father's number,
    seems to be too difficult for them to grasp. I am now trying e-mail.)

    Jonathan Sachs, Feb 13, 2007
  19. Re: PS/2 keyboard to a USB connector (2nd response)

    I downloaded the service manual for the Dimension E520, and I wonder
    whether it has the same motherboard as the 9200. The diagram does not
    show a connection point for a keyboard adapter. The diagram is
    simplified, though, so maybe the connection point really is there.

    Can you tell me what to look for, please? Also, is the connection
    point aligned with a cutout on the back panel, or does the gadget have
    a cable to give outside access? I'd hate to buy it and find that I
    can plug it in, but I can't reach it!

    Jonathan Sachs, Feb 13, 2007
  20. Jonathan Sachs

    S.Lewis Guest

    >I downloaded the service manual for the Dimension E520, and I wonder
    > whether it has the same motherboard as the 9200. The diagram does not
    > show a connection point for a keyboard adapter. The diagram is
    > simplified, though, so maybe the connection point really is there.
    >
    > Can you tell me what to look for, please? Also, is the connection
    > point aligned with a cutout on the back panel, or does the gadget have
    > a cable to give outside access? I'd hate to buy it and find that I
    > can plug it in, but I can't reach it!

    Those two models do not have the same motherboard/system board. Not even
    close.

    If you're still wondering if a PS2/serial controller PCI card will work in
    your E520, it will. It's a simple expansion card.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Feb 13, 2007