Putting together an AMD 1.1 Athlon in older case

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by B&B Musmon, Nov 15, 2004.

  1. B&B Musmon

    B&B Musmon Guest

    I upgraded my system and trying to use my old motherboard in an older
    system box for a friend. It is a PC chips M810 mother board with an
    1.1 Ghz with 670MB of memory, it always treated me well. In fact I
    don't even see any performance benefits with my 3200+ 64. . It is an
    old CTX case, I am not even sure how old. But surprisingly enough the
    motherboard and powersupply all fit great. It has a Maxtor 2.0GB
    drive, a CD and a floppy. I was planning on putting a bigger hard
    drive in. but thought I could get away with the other stuff. Before I
    took it apart it booted up to win95, but that is as much as I know.
    So the HD did work and boot up.

    My problem is, it doesn't now. It won't boot from the floppy or from
    the HD, although the system recognizes both and I am pretty confident
    they are install correctly. The system acurately displays data about
    the hd and the spec on it that I found it isn't all that bad. Could
    there be a compatiblity problem with the controller? When it boots
    from the floppy, the light goes on and it reads the disk but says no
    boot record found, which is pretty much the case from the HD as well.
    Any ideas or help will be appreciated.

    Also, I am momentaryly shotting the power on switch because it
    doesn't have the momentary switch that an ATX case would have. What
    is the best way to do this? If I can find one that fits, I was just
    going to buy a momentary switch and put it in, any pitfalls?

    Thanks
    Barry
    B&B Musmon, Nov 15, 2004

  2. B&B Musmon

    rstlne Guest

    > My problem is, it doesn't now. It won't boot from the floppy or from
    > the HD, although the system recognizes both and I am pretty confident
    > they are install correctly. The system acurately displays data about
    > the hd and the spec on it that I found it isn't all that bad. Could
    > there be a compatiblity problem with the controller? When it boots
    > from the floppy, the light goes on and it reads the disk but says no
    > boot record found, which is pretty much the case from the HD as well.
    > Any ideas or help will be appreciated.

    Make sure the floppy disk is good... They do go out, so do the drives (and
    drives do get dirty) ..
    Check boot sequence is Floppy/HD/Other .. It might be trying to start from
    something else first (never know)
    I would be tempted to try booting from a CD (if you have the kit) ..
    ReInstalling an OS is real important.. But I cant see "why" the boot sector
    would have been damaged by the OS or the mobo .. Possible that the HD is
    bad?

    > Also, I am momentaryly shotting the power on switch because it
    > doesn't have the momentary switch that an ATX case would have. What
    > is the best way to do this? If I can find one that fits, I was just
    > going to buy a momentary switch and put it in, any pitfalls?

    Your using an ATX Supply tho .. so you should be able to just put any kind
    of momentary switch in there and it'll work ..
    rstlne, Nov 16, 2004