    I can see the RPM's for my PSU?
    I have an A8N_SLI Deluxe and Enermax 535w PSU.
    Thanks

    edde, Aug 17, 2005

  2. edde

    Paul Guest

    In article <FGuMe.2106$>, "edde"
    <> wrote:

    > Is there a way to get Asus Probe to show the PWR_FAN header reading so that
    > I can see the RPM's for my PSU?
    > I have an A8N_SLI Deluxe and Enermax 535w PSU.
    > Thanks

    The picture in section 4.5.4 of the manual shows CPU, CHA1, and
    CHIP (chipset fan) are monitored. That means PWR_FAN is just a
    source of +12V for a fan.

    To prove the interface on the PSU works, try connecting the
    PSU to the CHA1 header. That will at least tell you there is
    a working RPM signal on the cable.

    As for your monitor chip, it has up to five fan speed channels.
    But the tachometer input signals for channels 4 and 5, use the
    same pins as the GAME connector (joystick interface). Since
    your motherboard does have a GAME header, that means only three
    fan monitor channels are available for fans. And since the BIOS
    lists three channels (CPU, CHA1, CHIP), it means there are
    no "hidden" fan speed channels in reserve, waiting to be
    unleashed.

    http://www.iteusa.com/product_info/file/pc/IT8712F_V0.8.2.pdf

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Aug 17, 2005

  3. edde

    edde Guest

    Wow, thanks alot.
    Hm, oh, I thought pwr_fan connector is where the psu fan monitor is supposed
    to be plugged, hence the label.
    The problem with CHA1 is that it's located WAY down at the bottom of the
    board.
    The fan monitor cable of the PSU won't reach that far.
    Great info though, and it makes sense.

    edde, Aug 17, 2005
  4. edde

    Paul Guest

    In article <iuwMe.2123$>, "edde"
    <> wrote:

    > Wow, thanks alot.
    > Hm, oh, I thought pwr_fan connector is where the psu fan
    > monitor is supposed to be plugged, hence the label.
    > The problem with CHA1 is that it's located WAY down at
    > the bottom of the board. The fan monitor cable of the
    > PSU won't reach that far. Great info though, and it
    > makes sense.

    Maybe they shouldn't have bothered putting the PWR_FAN
    header on the board. It seems kinda strange, but this is
    not the first board where that stuff doesn't line up
    properly. There was one board, where you had to plug the
    CPU fan, into a header other than CPU_FAN, so these
    things happen.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 17, 2005
  5. edde

    milleron Guest

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 18:32:36 -0500, "edde"
    <> wrote:

    >Is there a way to get Asus Probe to show the PWR_FAN header reading so that
    >I can see the RPM's for my PSU?
    >I have an A8N_SLI Deluxe and Enermax 535w PSU.
    >Thanks

    There is no way to get Probe, nVidia Monitor, or MBM 5 to read that
    header. As Paul pointed out, Asus probably had to cannibalize a
    connection to it for the game port or some other mobo device (Paul
    will correct me if I'm misquoting him).
    I suppose it'll supply power to a case fan, but I've never tested that
    guess. No one can understand why Asus doesn't change its misleading
    label.

    Ron

    milleron, Aug 19, 2005
  6. edde

    milleron Guest

    So sorry to have posted this redundant stuff. I apologize for jumping
    in before realizing that the question had already been answered. :-(

    On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 15:51:58 GMT, milleron
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 18:32:36 -0500, "edde"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Is there a way to get Asus Probe to show the PWR_FAN header reading so that
    >>I can see the RPM's for my PSU?
    >>I have an A8N_SLI Deluxe and Enermax 535w PSU.
    >>Thanks
    >>

    >There is no way to get Probe, nVidia Monitor, or MBM 5 to read that
    >header. As Paul pointed out, Asus probably had to cannibalize a
    >connection to it for the game port or some other mobo device (Paul
    >will correct me if I'm misquoting him).
    >I suppose it'll supply power to a case fan, but I've never tested that
    >guess. No one can understand why Asus doesn't change its misleading
    >label.
    >
    >Ron

    Ron

    milleron, Aug 19, 2005