Q6600 - danger?

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by Ronny Mandal, Aug 4, 2007.

  1. Ronny Mandal

    Ronny Mandal Guest

    Hello.

    Just some questions, might sound stupid to some of you, but:

    I have a Q6600 on P5K @ 2.40 GHz. Just bought OCZ ram - PC9200, max
    freq is 1150 MHz. To get them running at this speed, I had to set the
    FSB to 288 (was 266) and the mutliplier to 9 (1152 MHz). But the
    processor speed also increased (of course) to 2592 MHz. That is 192
    MHz above.

    OC-ing the CPU was not my intention, I just wanted to get the memory
    modules to run at the intended speed. Hence:

    Would the higher CPU-speed invite any damages to my CPU? I've got a
    really powerful fan that keeps the temp to < 43C at full load. I've
    also tried Memtest+, no errors reported. BTW, I've read about guys
    having their Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz OC-ed to 3.3GHz and beyond, so my
    perception is that my marginal OC be small scaled compared to those!
    But I am asking anyway.

    Should I do anything about the voltage settings? VCore is reported to
    1.30, AVcc to 3.25, but +12V is 11.77.

    Regards,

    Ronny Mandal
    Ronny Mandal, Aug 4, 2007

  2. Ronny Mandal

    Paul Guest

    Ronny Mandal wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > Just some questions, might sound stupid to some of you, but:
    >
    > I have a Q6600 on P5K @ 2.40 GHz. Just bought OCZ ram - PC9200, max
    > freq is 1150 MHz. To get them running at this speed, I had to set the
    > FSB to 288 (was 266) and the mutliplier to 9 (1152 MHz). But the
    > processor speed also increased (of course) to 2592 MHz. That is 192
    > MHz above.
    >
    > OC-ing the CPU was not my intention, I just wanted to get the memory
    > modules to run at the intended speed. Hence:
    >
    > Would the higher CPU-speed invite any damages to my CPU? I've got a
    > really powerful fan that keeps the temp to < 43C at full load. I've
    > also tried Memtest+, no errors reported. BTW, I've read about guys
    > having their Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz OC-ed to 3.3GHz and beyond, so my
    > perception is that my marginal OC be small scaled compared to those!
    > But I am asking anyway.
    >
    > Should I do anything about the voltage settings? VCore is reported to
    > 1.30, AVcc to 3.25, but +12V is 11.77.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Ronny Mandal

    I see a "CPU Ratio" setting in the BIOS, and that just might be the
    multiplier control. 9 x 266 would be stock 2400 core. Dropping the multiplier
    to a lower value, will reduce the degree of overclock you are
    applying to the core. In this thread, I've seen them use 9, 8, and
    7 for the multiplier (unlocked downward). After each change, you
    could try a program like CPUZ, to try to verify whether the BIOS
    is doing what you think. I don't think Intel puts the possible
    multiplier value, in public documents, which is why someone has to
    do the experiments, to see what works.

    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=152722&page=4&highlight=q6600 multiplier

    As for damage, in the short term, probably not. In the long term,
    only time will tell. Electromigration is one damage mechanism.
    Even though I've heard of electromigration, it hasn't stopped me
    from overclocking the processor in this computer :) From 2.8GHz
    to 3.2Ghz, or a 14% overclock.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromigration

    Have fun,
    Paul
    Paul, Aug 4, 2007

  3. Ronny Mandal

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'Ronny Mandal' wrote:
    | I have a Q6600 on P5K @ 2.40 GHz. Just bought OCZ ram - PC9200, max
    | freq is 1150 MHz. To get them running at this speed, I had to set the
    | FSB to 288 (was 266) and the mutliplier to 9 (1152 MHz). But the
    | processor speed also increased (of course) to 2592 MHz. That is 192
    | MHz above.
    |
    | OC-ing the CPU was not my intention, I just wanted to get the memory
    | modules to run at the intended speed. Hence:
    |
    | Would the higher CPU-speed invite any damages to my CPU? I've got a
    | really powerful fan that keeps the temp to < 43C at full load. I've
    | also tried Memtest+, no errors reported. BTW, I've read about guys
    | having their Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz OC-ed to 3.3GHz and beyond, so my
    | perception is that my marginal OC be small scaled compared to those!
    | But I am asking anyway.
    |
    | Should I do anything about the voltage settings? VCore is reported to
    | 1.30, AVcc to 3.25, but +12V is 11.77.
    _____

    Everything you report is fine. The voltages are fine. The specifications
    for the power supply 12 volt DC is 12 volts +/- 5% so any thing from + 11.4
    to + 12.6 is fine. A plus 192 MHz overclock is a VERY mild overclock and
    will not cause any problems.

    There should be a way to unlock the memory clock from the CPU clock while
    locking the PCI and PCI-E buses to standard specifications through BIOS
    options. You can find this information in your BIOS. (Typically the
    standard CPU clock : memory clock ratio is 2:1 for DDR2 memory, which would
    mean running your memory at DDR2 533 MHz / PC 4200 equivalent.)

    In this newsgroup, a reasonable overclock for your CPU would be considered
    anything over 3.2 GHz.

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Aug 4, 2007