    Normally, you have to pay more than double in order to double the
    performance. In this case, is Q6600 equal to two core 2 duo E6600s but the
    price is only 1.5x of an E6600?
    peter, Jul 23, 2007

  2. peter

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'peter' wrote:
    | Core 2 quad Q6600 sells for under $280. Does that make it the best
    | overclockable CPU deal?
    | Normally, you have to pay more than double in order to double the
    | performance. In this case, is Q6600 equal to two core 2 duo E6600s but the
    | price is only 1.5x of an E6600?
    _____

    Maybe a Q6600 is the best overclockable deal, maybe not. Depends on the
    context of your question. If mean exactly what you say, then no. The E4300
    at under $120 US is a better deal.

    A Core 2 Quad hasn't got twice the performance of a Core 2 Duo at equal
    speeds. The performance increase realized depends on the applications. For
    a bare processor, I can't think of any case where double the price brings
    even close to double the performance, ever, for any CPU series, from any
    manufacturer. Double the real performance is mostly unavailable at any
    price.

    If you were to ask the question in the context of specific goals then there
    could be meaningful answers. Certainly the $300 US 3.0 GHz E6850 could have
    overclocking performance that the 2.4 GHz Q6600 would be hard pressed to
    match with most if not all real applications.

    Were I about to build a new system for overclocking, I'd consider the useful
    applications I wanted to run, the total cost of the system, and what I
    wanted out of overclocking. Then I might go with a 680i chipset
    motherboard, DDR2-1333 memory, and an E6850 rather than a low end Q6600.

    Perhaps we'll see some overclocking reviews soon for the newest Intel
    offerings.

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Jul 24, 2007

  3. peter

    Phil Weldon Guest

    Also consider that the Total Power Dissipation of the Q6600 is something
    like 130 Watts compared to the E6850 of more like 65 Watts, each at stock
    speed. I'd guess that a decent overclock with the 2.4 GHz Q6600 would
    require heroic cooling, while the 3.0 GHz E6850 might do pretty well with
    air cooling.

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Jul 24, 2007
  4. peter

    Paul Guest

    peter wrote:
    > Core 2 quad Q6600 sells for under $280. Does that make it the best
    > overclockable CPU deal?
    > Normally, you have to pay more than double in order to double the
    > performance. In this case, is Q6600 equal to two core 2 duo E6600s but the
    > price is only 1.5x of an E6600?

    Take a look at the benchmarks here, and see how many of them take advantage
    of four cores. This particular one does, but some of the others don't.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/07/16/cpu_charts_2007/page33.html

    Paul
    Paul, Jul 24, 2007