Q6600 oc with query for Ed

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by Howard Goldstein, Dec 20, 2007.

  1. Back on 1 Nov Ed M. wrote:

    :know on most other voltages
    :that the SE seems to supply more than the actual default voltages. Just for
    :grins I lowered the speed on my Q6600 from 3.35Ghz to 3.25Ghz and found that
    :it will run very stable at 1.27V vcore, which is a good bit lower than the
    :'Auto' setting of 1.3-1.32V.

    (bad cut and paste from teh google)

    Ed, could you share your OC settings on our almost identical system
    again with me again please? I'm stable at 3Ghz but it takes 1.35Vcore, 3.2
    was not stable at 1.35 but I didn't want to keep ramping up since that
    way leads to madness
    ^
    \--- greater

    FWIW everything is on auto except Vcore and VDIMM which I have to have
    at 2.2 for the Corsairs. OC is via unlocking the FSB<>memory and
    setting FSB to 1333 (I'm at x9)

    This SE doesn't have the Vdroop mod I did to the old now deceased
    SE...I don't think you did the Vdroop mod either IIRC

    Howard Goldstein, Dec 20, 2007

  2. Howard Goldstein

    Ed Medlin Guest

    "Howard Goldstein" <> wrote in message
    > Back on 1 Nov Ed M. wrote:
    >
    > :know on most other voltages
    > :that the SE seems to supply more than the actual default voltages. Just
    > for
    > :grins I lowered the speed on my Q6600 from 3.35Ghz to 3.25Ghz and found
    > that
    > :it will run very stable at 1.27V vcore, which is a good bit lower than
    > the
    > :'Auto' setting of 1.3-1.32V.
    >
    > (bad cut and paste from teh google)
    >
    > Ed, could you share your OC settings on our almost identical system
    > again with me again please? I'm stable at 3Ghz but it takes 1.35Vcore,
    > 3.2
    > was not stable at 1.35 but I didn't want to keep ramping up since that
    > way leads to madness
    > ^
    > \--- greater
    >
    > FWIW everything is on auto except Vcore and VDIMM which I have to have
    > at 2.2 for the Corsairs. OC is via unlocking the FSB<>memory and
    > setting FSB to 1333 (I'm at x9)
    >
    > This SE doesn't have the Vdroop mod I did to the old now deceased
    > SE...I don't think you did the Vdroop mod either IIRC

    No, I didn't do the Vdroop mod either. You have probably already noticed
    that the Q6600 runs a bit hotter than the E6600s and that once at a Vcore in
    the 1.35+v range, going higher doesn't seem to help as much as with the dual
    cores. I think electormigration is an issue with the Quads more so than the
    Duals. All my settings now are Auto, except for memory which is at 2.25V
    (Mushkin rated at 2.3V) and Vcore which is at 1.3125V (or
    thereabouts.......:). FSB is at 147??.....whatever it is for 3.32Ghz. I
    think it is 1474 or so. My max temps stay in the mid 50sC with liquid
    cooling and idle temps are in the 30s. I don't worry too much about the idle
    temps with these as they seem to be about 10C higher than the Dual Cores at
    comparible Vcores with my setup. My processor takes much less voltage at
    3Ghz than yours. I can lower my Vcore to about 1.25V and stay very stable at
    3Ghz. I am pretty happy with my current OC and it performs very well.
    Benchmarks are in the same range as the stock QXxxx processors and gaming,
    especially FSX runs very smooth with the SLI'd 8800 GTXs. I do mostly
    simulators, both racing and flight sims and they all run great. I see a good
    bit of a performance gain over the E6600, especially in FSX with the
    Accelleration Pack that adds some multi-cpu support. BTW...............Make
    sure you set your memory down to very safe speeds during your processor OC
    to make sure that it isn't causing problems. Set it to 'Unlinked' and below
    spec'd speeds while working on the CPU and get back to that later.

    Ed

    Ed Medlin, Dec 21, 2007

  3. On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 08:30:15 -0600, Ed Medlin <> wrote:
    :
    : "Howard Goldstein" <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    : > Back on 1 Nov Ed M. wrote:
    : >
    : > :know on most other voltages
    : > :that the SE seems to supply more than the actual default voltages. Just
    : > for
    : > :grins I lowered the speed on my Q6600 from 3.35Ghz to 3.25Ghz and found
    : > that
    : > :it will run very stable at 1.27V vcore, which is a good bit lower than
    : > the
    : > :'Auto' setting of 1.3-1.32V.
    : >
    : > (bad cut and paste from teh google)
    : >
    : > Ed, could you share your OC settings on our almost identical system
    : > again with me again please? I'm stable at 3Ghz but it takes 1.35Vcore,
    : > 3.2
    : > was not stable at 1.35 but I didn't want to keep ramping up since that
    : > way leads to madness
    : > ^
    : > \--- greater
    : >
[...]

    Thank you, Ed. Looks like 1475 or 1476 is what it'll take to yield
    3.32. You're at 1303 bios too I take it? I'm intrigued that you're
    seeing better performance with the quad on those sims. I have a 2
    core 6750 at 3.6 on the combo production/fun box but it'd be fun to
    compare it running a mostly ancient helicopter sim (Enemy Engaged 2)
    on the quad at 3.3 vs the 6750 at 3.6.

    Howard Goldstein, Dec 21, 2007
  4. Howard Goldstein

> [...]
    > : bit of a performance gain over the E6600, especially in FSX with the
    > : Accelleration Pack that adds some multi-cpu support.
    > BTW...............Make
    > : sure you set your memory down to very safe speeds during your processor
    > OC
    > : to make sure that it isn't causing problems. Set it to 'Unlinked' and
    > below
    > : spec'd speeds while working on the CPU and get back to that later.
    > :
    > :
    >
    > Thank you, Ed. Looks like 1475 or 1476 is what it'll take to yield
    > 3.32. You're at 1303 bios too I take it? I'm intrigued that you're
    > seeing better performance with the quad on those sims. I have a 2
    > core 6750 at 3.6 on the combo production/fun box but it'd be fun to
    > compare it running a mostly ancient helicopter sim (Enemy Engaged 2)

    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........Bios 1301. Bios 1303 screwed up OC'ing the SE big
    time for me. I couldn't get it over 3ghz on ANY voltage.

    Ed

    Ed Medlin, Dec 26, 2007
  5. On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 12:22:47 GMT, Ed Medlin <> wrote:
    :
    : "Howard Goldstein" <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    : > Thank you, Ed. Looks like 1475 or 1476 is what it'll take to yield
    : > 3.32. You're at 1303 bios too I take it? I'm intrigued that you're
    : > seeing better performance with the quad on those sims. I have a 2
    : > core 6750 at 3.6 on the combo production/fun box but it'd be fun to
    : > compare it running a mostly ancient helicopter sim (Enemy Engaged 2)
    : > on the quad at 3.3 vs the 6750 at 3.6.
    :
    : NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........Bios 1301. Bios 1303 screwed up OC'ing the SE big
    : time for me. I couldn't get it over 3ghz on ANY voltage.
    :

    I am so glad you posted this. GRRRRR Ahhh man, well, maybe that
    'splains why I can't get stable over 3.0. Great, I forgot where I put
    the DOS flash util that can deal with downgrades. Darn darn darn

    Howard Goldstein, Dec 26, 2007
  6. Howard Goldstein schrieb:

    > I am so glad you posted this. GRRRRR Ahhh man, well, maybe that
    > 'splains why I can't get stable over 3.0. Great, I forgot where I put
    > the DOS flash util that can deal with downgrades. Darn darn darn

    With my ASUS P5N32-E SLI this tool is embedded right in the BIOS. Neat.

    Daniel Albuschat, Dec 27, 2007
  7. On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 20:29:46 +0100, Daniel Albuschat <> wrote:
    : Howard Goldstein schrieb:
    :
    : > I am so glad you posted this. GRRRRR Ahhh man, well, maybe that
    : > 'splains why I can't get stable over 3.0. Great, I forgot where I put
    : > the DOS flash util that can deal with downgrades. Darn darn darn
    :
    : With my ASUS P5N32-E SLI this tool is embedded right in the BIOS. Neat.

    You can downgrade to an older version from the BIOS? That is new.

    Howard Goldstein, Dec 27, 2007
  8. On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 17:01:26 GMT, Howard Goldstein <> wrote:
    : On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 12:22:47 GMT, Ed Medlin <> wrote:
    : :
[...]

    Just a followup Ed. I downgraded to 1301 with awdflash.exe, took all
    of the settings you used, except for the mem settings, and I'll try
    that next because it's silly to be changing so many things at once,
    isn't it, and I'm stumped. Anyway, anything over 3.15ghz isn't even
    getting through POST (locks up before the memory settings are
    displayed). 3.15 boots but isn't stable. I did futz with the memory
    for 2.1v and the timings to set it stock at 4-4-4-12-2t and set it for
    800 so I didn't follow your guidance there to start with loose mem
    timings. That's next.

    It was disconcerting though that the bios parm recovery, the asus feature
    that lets the next boot run with default parms a failed boot, didn't
    work for me at 3.2ghz, just hard locked and needed the cmos clear
    button press :(

    Howard Goldstein, Dec 27, 2007
  9. Howard Goldstein schrieb:
    > On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 20:29:46 +0100, Daniel Albuschat <> wrote:
    > : Howard Goldstein schrieb:
    > :
    > : > I am so glad you posted this. GRRRRR Ahhh man, well, maybe that
    > : > 'splains why I can't get stable over 3.0. Great, I forgot where I put
    > : > the DOS flash util that can deal with downgrades. Darn darn darn
    > :
    > : With my ASUS P5N32-E SLI this tool is embedded right in the BIOS. Neat.
    >
    > You can downgrade to an older version from the BIOS? That is new.

    Yup, already did that because there's been a buggy BIOS-version for that
    Mobo. Well, actually all BIOS-versions for it are buggy, but the
    then-latest was more buggy than the older.

    Daniel

    Daniel Albuschat, Dec 28, 2007
  10. Howard Goldstein

    > On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 17:01:26 GMT, Howard Goldstein <>
    > wrote:
    > : On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 12:22:47 GMT, Ed Medlin <> wrote:
    > : :
    > : : "Howard Goldstein" <> wrote in message
    > : : news:...
    > : : > Thank you, Ed. Looks like 1475 or 1476 is what it'll take to yield
    > : : > 3.32. You're at 1303 bios too I take it? I'm intrigued that you're
    > : : > seeing better performance with the quad on those sims. I have a 2
    > : : > core 6750 at 3.6 on the combo production/fun box but it'd be fun to
    > : : > compare it running a mostly ancient helicopter sim (Enemy Engaged
    > 2)
    > : : > on the quad at 3.3 vs the 6750 at 3.6.
    > : :
    > : : NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........Bios 1301. Bios 1303 screwed up OC'ing the
    > SE big
    > : : time for me. I couldn't get it over 3ghz on ANY voltage.
    > : :
    > :
    > : I am so glad you posted this. GRRRRR Ahhh man, well, maybe that
    > : 'splains why I can't get stable over 3.0. Great, I forgot where I put
    > : the DOS flash util that can deal with downgrades. Darn darn darn
    >
    > Just a followup Ed. I downgraded to 1301 with awdflash.exe, took all
    > of the settings you used, except for the mem settings, and I'll try
    > that next because it's silly to be changing so many things at once,
    > isn't it, and I'm stumped. Anyway, anything over 3.15ghz isn't even
    > getting through POST (locks up before the memory settings are
    > displayed). 3.15 boots but isn't stable. I did futz with the memory
    > for 2.1v and the timings to set it stock at 4-4-4-12-2t and set it for
    > 800 so I didn't follow your guidance there to start with loose mem
    > timings. That's next.
    >
    > It was disconcerting though that the bios parm recovery, the asus feature
    > that lets the next boot run with default parms a failed boot, didn't
    > work for me at 3.2ghz, just hard locked and needed the cmos clear
    > button press :(

    Sometimes you just get a processor that will not go as high as some others,
    even with the same stepping. Even with the C2D E6600 my goal was "anything"
    over 3Ghz at first. It did better, but that was just icing on the cake. You
    still might get it up some more if you crank down the memory (even below
    default speeds) while working on the processor overclock.

    Ed

    Ed Medlin, Dec 30, 2007
    :
    : > wrote:
    : > : On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 12:22:47 GMT, Ed Medlin <> wrote:
    : > : :
    : > : : "Howard Goldstein" <> wrote in message
    : > : : news:...
    : > : : > Thank you, Ed. Looks like 1475 or 1476 is what it'll take to yield
    : > : : > 3.32. You're at 1303 bios too I take it? I'm intrigued that you're
    : > : : > seeing better performance with the quad on those sims. I have a 2
    : > : : > core 6750 at 3.6 on the combo production/fun box but it'd be fun to
    : > : : > compare it running a mostly ancient helicopter sim (Enemy Engaged
    : > 2)
    : > : : > on the quad at 3.3 vs the 6750 at 3.6.
    : > : :
    : > : : NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........Bios 1301. Bios 1303 screwed up OC'ing the
    : > SE big
    : > : : time for me. I couldn't get it over 3ghz on ANY voltage.
    : > : :
    : > :
[...]

    I think I'm in that boat Ed. 3.0 is just unbreachable. And I was so
    happy to get a G0 instead of a B2. Taking 800mhz 4-4-4-12 memory down
    to DDR2-600 and 5-5-5-15, great cooling on the chipset and FETs and
    CPU. One thing left to try is the Q6600 in the DFI P35 board for
    giggles.

    If I look at it at 25% free performance I don't feel quite so bad.
    And this is a full blown production box with no play value at all so
    it's almost a why bother.

    Thanks for hanging in there with me over all the trials. And now
    enough of my cruddy system. How's the recuperation, are you feeling
    better with the mods they isntalled in you back in the hospital?

    Howard Goldstein, Dec 30, 2007
  12. Howard Goldstein

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Howard Goldstein" typed:
    > On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 15:53:02 GMT, Ed Medlin <> wrote:
    >>
    >> "Howard Goldstein" <> wrote in message

    >>> Just a followup Ed. I downgraded to 1301 with awdflash.exe, took
    >>> all
    >>> of the settings you used, except for the mem settings, and I'll try
    >>> that next because it's silly to be changing so many things at once,
    >>> isn't it, and I'm stumped. Anyway, anything over 3.15ghz isn't even
    >>> getting through POST (locks up before the memory settings are
    >>> displayed). 3.15 boots but isn't stable. I did futz with the
    >>> memory for 2.1v and the timings to set it stock at 4-4-4-12-2t and
    >>> set it for 800 so I didn't follow your guidance there to start with
    >>> loose mem timings. That's next.
    >>>
    >>> It was disconcerting though that the bios parm recovery, the asus
    >>> feature that lets the next boot run with default parms a failed
    >>> boot, didn't work for me at 3.2ghz, just hard locked and needed the
    >>> cmos clear
    >>> button press :(
    >>>

    >> Sometimes you just get a processor that will not go as high as some
    >> others, even with the same stepping. Even with the C2D E6600 my
    >> goal was "anything" over 3Ghz at first. It did better, but that was
    >> just icing on the cake. You still might get it up some more if you
    >> crank down the memory (even below default speeds) while working on
    >> the processor overclock.
    >>

    > I think I'm in that boat Ed. 3.0 is just unbreachable. And I was so
    > happy to get a G0 instead of a B2. Taking 800mhz 4-4-4-12 memory down
    > to DDR2-600 and 5-5-5-15, great cooling on the chipset and FETs and
    > CPU. One thing left to try is the Q6600 in the DFI P35 board for
    > giggles.

    You're making me feel really bad now. That system I built for a mate, runs
    great at 3.2GHz (400 x 8) using a Tt Big Typhoon and a /mild/ overvolt. It's
    a tad hot, hitting mid 60's under full load (it's summer here). I didn't
    even try for it's limits. I just decided to set it at 3.2GHz and it was no
    problem. Q6600 G0 in an Asus P5K-Premium.

    [Twilight-zone time; Maybe I just have a knack for knowing what a CPU will
    do before I even try it. With this E4500 I thought I'd go for 3.3GHz. I got
    the calculator out and decided on 8 x 413. At that it's rock-stable with a
    vcore of around <fires up CPU-Z> 1.370V and no more than about ambient +25°C
    at full load with a Tt Mini Typhoon, ambient +5°C idle. However, when I
    decided to maybe push it a bit it won't do 8 x 415, even with a couple extra
    notches on the vcore. {I know the memory's good to 455MHz}]

    > If I look at it at 25% free performance I don't feel quite so bad.
    > And this is a full blown production box with no play value at all so
    > it's almost a why bother.

    Heh! Like me, using my "veritable supercomputer" for mainly torrenting and
    usenet/web-browsing.

    > Thanks for hanging in there with me over all the trials. And now
    > enough of my cruddy system. How's the recuperation, are you feeling
    > better with the mods they isntalled in you back in the hospital?

    Indeed! Good question. How's the new bits going Ed? Well I trust.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 31, 2007
  13. Howard Goldstein

    Ed Medlin Guest

    >> Thanks for hanging in there with me over all the trials. And now
    >> enough of my cruddy system. How's the recuperation, are you feeling
    >> better with the mods they isntalled in you back in the hospital?

    > Indeed! Good question. How's the new bits going Ed? Well I trust.
    > --
    > Shaun.

    Doing just fine. Well into rehab and ahead of everyone there. I need to get
    back to as normal as possible for a trip to Texas to see my new (first
    grandchild) grandson due in April. Most of the folks at the gym in rehab had
    a heart attack before their surgery where I was lucky that they found the
    blockage before I had one. It sure makes a huge difference in making a quick
    recovery. Outside of the rib-cage pain, which they tell me will be there for
    quite awhile, I feel really great. I haven't had this much energy in a very
    long time.

    Ed

    Ed Medlin, Dec 31, 2007
  14. On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 01:26:38 +1300, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    : Somewhere on teh intarweb "Howard Goldstein" typed:
    : >>
    : >>>> wrote: :
    : >>>> : "Howard Goldstein" <> wrote in message
    : >>>> : news:...
    : >>>> : > Thank you, Ed. Looks like 1475 or 1476 is what it'll take to
    : >>>> yield : > 3.32. You're at 1303 bios too I take it? I'm intrigued
    : >>>> that you're : > seeing better performance with the quad on those
    : >>>> sims. I have a 2 : > core 6750 at 3.6 on the combo
    : >>>> production/fun box but it'd be fun to : > compare it running a
    : >>>> mostly ancient helicopter sim (Enemy Engaged 2) : > on the quad
    : >>>> at 3.3 vs the 6750 at 3.6. :
    : >>>> : NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........Bios 1301. Bios 1303 screwed up OC'ing
    : >>>> the SE big : time for me. I couldn't get it over 3ghz on ANY
    : >>>> voltage. :
    : >>>>
    : >>>> I am so glad you posted this. GRRRRR Ahhh man, well, maybe that
    : >>>> 'splains why I can't get stable over 3.0. Great, I forgot where
    : >>>> I put the DOS flash util that can deal with downgrades. Darn
    : >>>> darn darn
    : >>>
[...]

    Hmmm turning down the multiplier and upping the FSB is one thing I
    didn't try. Seems counterintuitive doesn't it? I think I'll try it.
    It's easier than sending the box down to kiwi for you to work on.

    :
[...]

    This thing is my paying job's desktop office. Most of the time it
    just has openoffice open, the rest of the 5% its newsreading or
    browsing or working $DAYJOB emails, LAN file and internet web
    serving. That I have to sit in front of it drafting documents and
    doing work stuff made the noise reduction such an important
    element of the OC equation. All for naught I'm afraid, it's noisier
    than before and not OCing any better (yet)

    Howard Goldstein, Jan 2, 2008
  15. On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 08:08:17 -0600, Ed Medlin <> wrote:
    : >> Thanks for hanging in there with me over all the trials. And now
    : >> enough of my cruddy system. How's the recuperation, are you feeling
    : >> better with the mods they isntalled in you back in the hospital?
    : >
    : > Indeed! Good question. How's the new bits going Ed? Well I trust.
    : > --
    : > Shaun.
    : Doing just fine. Well into rehab and ahead of everyone there. I need to get
    : back to as normal as possible for a trip to Texas to see my new (first
    : grandchild) grandson due in April. Most of the folks at the gym in rehab had
    : a heart attack before their surgery where I was lucky that they found the
    : blockage before I had one. It sure makes a huge difference in making a quick
    : recovery. Outside of the rib-cage pain, which they tell me will be there for
    : quite awhile, I feel really great. I haven't had this much energy in a very
    : long time.
    :

    Do they crack the ribs? I bet that does hurt later. Great report Ed,

    Howard Goldstein, Jan 2, 2008
  16. Howard Goldstein

    > On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 08:08:17 -0600, Ed Medlin <> wrote:
    > : >> Thanks for hanging in there with me over all the trials. And now
    > : >> enough of my cruddy system. How's the recuperation, are you feeling
    > : >> better with the mods they isntalled in you back in the hospital?
    > : >
    > : > Indeed! Good question. How's the new bits going Ed? Well I trust.
    > : > --
    > : > Shaun.
    > : Doing just fine. Well into rehab and ahead of everyone there. I need to
    > get
    > : back to as normal as possible for a trip to Texas to see my new (first
    > : grandchild) grandson due in April. Most of the folks at the gym in
    > rehab had
    > : a heart attack before their surgery where I was lucky that they found
    > the
    > : blockage before I had one. It sure makes a huge difference in making a
    > quick
    > : recovery. Outside of the rib-cage pain, which they tell me will be
    > there for
    > : quite awhile, I feel really great. I haven't had this much energy in a
    > very
    > : long time.
    > :
    >
    > Do they crack the ribs? I bet that does hurt later. Great report Ed,

    Well....they saw right down the middle of your breast bone and open you up
    like a clam.......:). When they are done they wire it all back together. I
    have everything from numbness to one place that feels like I just got hit by
    a .357 magnum (and everything in between)......:). I guess it will go away
    after some time, at least I hope so. ....... The doc said the sternum takes
    anywhere from 3-6mos to heal, depending on the individual. I am on a 2 lb
    lifting limit until about Apr.

    Ed

    Ed Medlin, Jan 2, 2008
  17. Howard Goldstein

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Ed Medlin" typed:
    >>> Thanks for hanging in there with me over all the trials. And now
    >>> enough of my cruddy system. How's the recuperation, are you feeling
    >>> better with the mods they isntalled in you back in the hospital?

    >> Indeed! Good question. How's the new bits going Ed? Well I trust.
    >>

    > Doing just fine. Well into rehab and ahead of everyone there. I need
    > to get back to as normal as possible for a trip to Texas to see my
    > new (first grandchild) grandson due in April. Most of the folks at
    > the gym in rehab had a heart attack before their surgery where I was
    > lucky that they found the blockage before I had one. It sure makes a
    > huge difference in making a quick recovery. Outside of the rib-cage
    > pain, which they tell me will be there for quite awhile, I feel
    > really great. I haven't had this much energy in a very long time.

    Awesome news! Great to hear Ed.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jan 2, 2008
  18. Howard Goldstein

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Howard Goldstein" typed:
    > On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 01:26:38 +1300, ~misfit~ <>
    > wrote:
    >> You're making me feel really bad now. That system I built for a
    >> mate, runs great at 3.2GHz (400 x 8) using a Tt Big Typhoon and a
    >> /mild/ overvolt. It's a tad hot, hitting mid 60's under full load
    >> (it's summer here). I didn't even try for it's limits. I just
    >> decided to set it at 3.2GHz and it was no problem. Q6600 G0 in an
    >> Asus P5K-Premium.

    > Hmmm turning down the multiplier and upping the FSB is one thing I
    > didn't try. Seems counterintuitive doesn't it? I think I'll try it.

    I just like to keep FSB/RAM at 1:1. He had DDR2 PC800 RAM (or whatever the
    hell they call 400MHz RAM) so I set the FSB to the same, then calculated
    what a good multiplier would be.

    > It's easier than sending the box down to kiwi for you to work on.

    Heh! Yeah that could be expensive and it would probably come back with lots
    of holes in it. <g>

    >> Heh! Like me, using my "veritable supercomputer" for mainly
    >> torrenting and usenet/web-browsing.

    > This thing is my paying job's desktop office. Most of the time it
    > just has openoffice open, the rest of the 5% its newsreading or
    > browsing or working $DAYJOB emails, LAN file and internet web
    > serving. That I have to sit in front of it drafting documents and
    > doing work stuff made the noise reduction such an important
    > element of the OC equation. All for naught I'm afraid, it's noisier
    > than before and not OCing any better (yet)

    Sounds to me like a Celeron 1.6GHz 420 (Conroe-L) would be just the thing
    for your needs. ;-)

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.