Quad Core Wolfdale

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by John Whitworth, Jan 28, 2008.

  1. Hi all,

    Looking for some suggestions/advice...

    Currently got C2Duo E6600 @3GHz in MSI 975X Platinup Powerup mobo, with 2GB
    Kingston ValueRAM (which was expensive and crap!!).

    Anyway, totally wooed by the new quad core Wolfdales, and as gfx card keeps
    playing up with NVLDDMKM error, see a good excuse/reason to blow my balls
    off on some new hardware! ;-)

    Bearing in mind that I *have* to get a new gfx card, any suggestions on a
    motherboard to support the Q9450? And is the Q9450 the one to go for? Price
    says yes (£223). What about the DDR2 or DDR3 choice? I know that DDR3 is
    going to be better. But will it be that much better to warrant the extra
    outlay? If I stuck with a DDR2 mobo, I could save some money right
    now...which would be good.

    And I am also a little lost with the gfx card choice. I'm not a gaming
    addict...but I like what I *do* play to look good. Currently got a 7600GT
    which is giving the above errors. Basically want something which will play
    "Tomb Raider Legend", "Tomb Raider Anniversary", "LOTRO", and next Tomb
    Raider at full settings, with no grumbling! ;-) So do I go 8800GT, 8800GTS
    or 8800GTX? 8800 Ultra is probably not worth it. From what I read, 8800GT
    has somewhat stolen 8800GTS's thunder...am I reading correctly?

    Cheers

    JW
    John Whitworth, Jan 28, 2008

  2. John Whitworth schrieb:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Looking for some suggestions/advice...
    >
    > Currently got C2Duo E6600 @3GHz in MSI 975X Platinup Powerup mobo, with
    > 2GB Kingston ValueRAM (which was expensive and crap!!).
    >
    > Anyway, totally wooed by the new quad core Wolfdales, and as gfx card
    > keeps playing up with NVLDDMKM error, see a good excuse/reason to blow
    > my balls off on some new hardware! ;-)

    Regarding the graphics card, I would definitely recommend a GeForce 8800
    GT, since it's far below 300 EUR and is much better than the old GTS
    (320/640) and nearly reaches the performance of the GTX.

    Or wait one or two months and get a GeForce 9xxx.
    Another option is buying one of the new Radeons, but I haven't owned a
    Radeon since the 8500, so I can't tell you whether they're OK or not.

    Regards,

    Daniel Albuschat
    Daniel Albuschat, Jan 29, 2008

  3. "Daniel Albuschat" <> wrote in message
    > John Whitworth schrieb:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Looking for some suggestions/advice...
    >>
    >> Currently got C2Duo E6600 @3GHz in MSI 975X Platinup Powerup mobo, with
    >> 2GB Kingston ValueRAM (which was expensive and crap!!).
    >>
    >> Anyway, totally wooed by the new quad core Wolfdales, and as gfx card
    >> keeps playing up with NVLDDMKM error, see a good excuse/reason to blow my
    >> balls off on some new hardware! ;-)

    > Regarding the graphics card, I would definitely recommend a GeForce 8800
    > GT, since it's far below 300 EUR and is much better than the old GTS
    > (320/640) and nearly reaches the performance of the GTX.
    >
    > Or wait one or two months and get a GeForce 9xxx.

    Thanks...I didn't know the 9-series cards were imminent!

    JW
    John Whitworth, Jan 30, 2008
  4. John Whitworth wrote:

    > Thanks...I didn't know the 9-series cards were imminent!

    The next one is alwasy imminent ;) ;)
    In a few years they will have to abandon their number series naminga dn just
    name them by the current date ;)

    Best Wishes
    Thomas
    Thomas Andersson, Jan 31, 2008