    I use my machine for PhotoShop and primarily my on-line brokerage account.
    I'm an active trader.

    Gary in Atlanta
    news.comcast.net, Jan 28, 2007

  2. news.comcast.net

    CBFalconer Guest

    "news.comcast.net" wrote:

    > I've owned an IBM A31p for over 5 years and have loved this machine.
    > I'm about to order a new Z61p as soon as I can get it with VISTA.
    >
    > My question is whether I will be as satisified with the quality and
    > the superb FlexView 1600 x 1200 Screen I'm used to. ( I'll be
    > going to 1920 x 1200 ). I love the higher res and extra real estate.
    >
    > I use my machine for PhotoShop and primarily my on-line brokerage
    > account. I'm an active trader.

    Before you invest in Vista read the following URL.

    -- Francis Crick, co-discover of DNA
    -- Thomas Matthews
    CBFalconer, Jan 29, 2007

  3. news.comcast.net

    Gary Guest

    "CBFalconer" <> wrote in message
    > "news.comcast.net" wrote:
    >>
    >> I've owned an IBM A31p for over 5 years and have loved this machine.
    >> I'm about to order a new Z61p as soon as I can get it with VISTA.
    >>
    >> My question is whether I will be as satisified with the quality and
    >> the superb FlexView 1600 x 1200 Screen I'm used to. ( I'll be
    >> going to 1920 x 1200 ). I love the higher res and extra real estate.
    >>
    >> I use my machine for PhotoShop and primarily my on-line brokerage
    >> account. I'm an active trader.

    > Before you invest in Vista read the following URL.

    I have no intention of running any software or content that isn't approved
    to run on VISTA, thus I anticipate no problems.

    My question concerns the current quality of the hardware, keyboard, screen,
    etc. Is the quality of the new Lenovo ThinkPad commensurate with the
    quality of my 5 year old ThinkPad A31p?

    Gary in Atlanta
    Gary, Jan 29, 2007
  4. news.comcast.net

    John Doue Guest

    Gary wrote:
    > "CBFalconer" <> wrote in message
    >> "news.comcast.net" wrote:
    >>> I've owned an IBM A31p for over 5 years and have loved this machine.
    >>> I'm about to order a new Z61p as soon as I can get it with VISTA.
    >>>
    >>> My question is whether I will be as satisified with the quality and
    >>> the superb FlexView 1600 x 1200 Screen I'm used to. ( I'll be
    >>> going to 1920 x 1200 ). I love the higher res and extra real estate.
    >>>
    >>> I use my machine for PhotoShop and primarily my on-line brokerage
    >>> account. I'm an active trader.

    >> Before you invest in Vista read the following URL.

    > I have no intention of running any software or content that isn't approved
    > to run on VISTA, thus I anticipate no problems.

    This is tantamount to saying I don't need car insurance, I do not intend
    to have accidents.

    > My question concerns the current quality of the hardware, keyboard, screen,
    > etc. Is the quality of the new Lenovo ThinkPad commensurate with the
    > quality of my 5 year old ThinkPad A31p?

    I doubt it but would love to know the answer.

    --
    John Doue
    John Doue, Jan 29, 2007
  5. news.comcast.net

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news: "Gary" <a@aa>
    wrote:

    > My question concerns the current quality of the hardware, keyboard,
    > screen, etc. Is the quality of the new Lenovo ThinkPad commensurate
    > with the quality of my 5 year old ThinkPad A31p?

    I'm quite sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that
    Lenovo is the Chinese company that was actually making the Thinkpads for
    the past many years.

    So, unless they decide to drop their standards now that they're selling
    under their own name, I'd expect the machines to be the same.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    Bert Hyman, Jan 29, 2007
  6. news.comcast.net

    Larry Guest

    Actually, I'm hoping for better.

    The T30 and T40 were disasters. Things were looking up with the T42 and
    T43, and early indications are the T60 will be a good one as well.

    Keeping my fingers crossed!

    -Larry

    Larry, Jan 29, 2007
  7. news.comcast.net

    John Navas Guest

    On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 10:17:38 -0500, "Larry" <> wrote in
    <meovh.7460$>:

    >The T30 and T40 were disasters. ...

    My own experiences with quite a few T30 and T40 machines have generally
    been very good, as good or better than comparable machines from other
    manufacturers. The only real issue I encountered was the SODIMM socket
    on the T30, which was quickly dealt with under warranty. Moving on from
    there, my personal T41 has been solid as a rock.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas
    John Navas, Jan 30, 2007
  8. news.comcast.net

    Larry Guest

    T40's have had pretty serious System Board/Planar Board issues.

    -Larry

    Larry, Jan 30, 2007
  9. news.comcast.net

    John Navas Guest

    I'll take your word for it, but two colleagues with T40s have had zero
    problems.

    p.s. Please don't switch posting styles (top vs bottom) in mid-thread
    -- it's confusing. Thanks.

    John Navas, Jan 30, 2007
  10. news.comcast.net

    Larry Guest

    Sorry. I've been fined 1/2 credit for violation of the Posting Morality
    Statute.

    Your two friends T40's comparted to the Thousands I have in service isn't a
    comparison :)

    -Larry

    Larry, Jan 30, 2007
  11. news.comcast.net

    CBFalconer Guest

    John Navas wrote:
    > "Larry" <> wrote
    >> "John Navas" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Larry" <> wrote

    >>> My own experiences with quite a few T30 and T40 machines have
    >>> generally been very good, as good or better than comparable
    >>> machines from other manufacturers. The only real issue I
    >>> encountered was the SODIMM socket on the T30, which was quickly
    >>> dealt with under warranty. Moving on from there, my personal
    >>> T41 has been solid as a rock.

    >> T40's have had pretty serious System Board/Planar Board issues.

    > I'll take your word for it, but two colleagues with T40s have had
    > zero problems.
    >
    > p.s. Please don't switch posting styles (top vs bottom) in
    > mid-thread -- it's confusing. Thanks.

    I suggest you just correct the top-posts.

    CBFalconer, Jan 31, 2007
  12. news.comcast.net

    John Navas Guest

    On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 20:18:40 -0500, CBFalconer <>
    wrote in <>:

    >John Navas wrote:

    >>> T40's have had pretty serious System Board/Planar Board issues.

    >> I'll take your word for it, but two colleagues with T40s have had
    >> zero problems.
    >>
    >> p.s. Please don't switch posting styles (top vs bottom) in
    >> mid-thread -- it's confusing. Thanks.

    >I suggest you just correct the top-posts.

    Be my guest.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas
    John Navas, Jan 31, 2007
  13. news.comcast.net

    JHEM Guest

    John Navas wrote:
    > I'll take your word for it, but two colleagues with T40s have had zero
    > problems.

    Then they're very fortunate. The T4X series motherboard problems are well
    known and widely seen, akin to the ubiquitous T30 memory slot problem.

    Just among my small personal inventory of Thinkpads I've experienced the
    problem on 4 of 6 T40s and 2 of 3 T41Ps. My 2 T42s have been fine, as is my
    T60P.
    --
    James

    Visit the Thinkpad Forums
    http://forum.thinkpads.com
    JHEM, Jan 31, 2007
  14. news.comcast.net

    John Navas Guest

    On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 12:16:29 GMT, "JHEM"
    <> wrote in
    <xM%vh.3642$RJ4.1113@trnddc08>:

    >John Navas wrote:
    >> I'll take your word for it, but two colleagues with T40s have had zero
    >> problems.

    >Then they're very fortunate. The T4X series motherboard problems are well
    >known and widely seen, akin to the ubiquitous T30 memory slot problem.

    I think "ubiquitous" (omnipresent) is a great exaggeration.

    >Just among my small personal inventory of Thinkpads I've experienced the
    >problem on 4 of 6 T40s and 2 of 3 T41Ps. My 2 T42s have been fine, as is my
    >T60P.

    Fair enough, but can you point me to independent non-anecdotal
    corroboration?

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas
    John Navas, Jan 31, 2007
  15. news.comcast.net

    John Navas Guest

    On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 18:27:27 -0500, "Larry" <> wrote in
    <xvQvh.195376$>:

    >Sorry. I've been fined 1/2 credit for violation of the Posting Morality
    >Statute.

    Why be rude?

    >Your two friends T40's comparted to the Thousands I have in service isn't a
    >comparison :)

    What percentage of your T40s have had to have system boards replaced?

    John Navas, Jan 31, 2007
  16. news.comcast.net

    Larry Guest

    Same here James..

    I constantly see tickets stating "Computer freezes or reboots when moved".
    I've had a _few_ of these on T42's, but nothing I would consider obnormal
    given the count in use. Others you don't have to move the machine. It just
    hard-locks while in use. Just typing on the keyboard can be enough.

    The best thing about the T40 is it's about at the end of it's life cycle :)

    -Larry

    Larry, Jan 31, 2007
  17. news.comcast.net

    Larry Guest

    The T30 memory slot issue IS omnipresent. I've had to send as many as 12 at
    a time from one office for repair.

    I can collaborate James' comments about the T40.

    -Larry

    Larry, Jan 31, 2007
  18. news.comcast.net

    Larry Guest

    Not rude. You obviously haven't seen "Demolition Man", or you have no sense
    of humor.

    I don't have a count on the failures. I can only tell you it is a constant
    irritation.

    -Larry

    Larry, Jan 31, 2007
  19. news.comcast.net

    JHEM Guest

    John Navas wrote:
    > On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 12:16:29 GMT, "JHEM"
    > <> wrote in
    > <xM%vh.3642$RJ4.1113@trnddc08>:
    >
    > I think "ubiquitous" (omnipresent) is a great exaggeration.

    Hardly so with regard to the T30 in my comparison, the memory slot failure
    rate on unmodified T30 systemboards was so close to 100% as to make no
    statistical difference. The ECA that was issued by IBM that resulted in
    failed systems having their MBs replaced well after the original warranties
    had expired was a direct result of this failure rate. I have personal
    knowledge of four T30s that had their MBs replaced without question more
    than a year after the warranties had expired and one that had the MB
    replaced more than two years after warranty expiration.

    The failure rate on T4X system boards as reported by IBM/Lenovo on the
    partner website presently stands at ~35%, with the majority of the failures
    being among the T40 and T41 systems.

    >> Just among my small personal inventory of Thinkpads I've experienced
    >> the problem on 4 of 6 T40s and 2 of 3 T41Ps. My 2 T42s have been
    >> fine, as is my T60P.

    > Fair enough, but can you point me to independent non-anecdotal
    > corroboration?

    Search the Forums and NGs.
    --
    James

    Visit the Thinkpad Forums
    http://forum.thinkpads.com
    JHEM, Jan 31, 2007
  20. news.comcast.net

    JHEM Guest

    Larry wrote:
    > Same here James..
    >
    > I constantly see tickets stating "Computer freezes or reboots when
    > moved". I've had a _few_ of these on T42's, but nothing I would
    > consider obnormal given the count in use. Others you don't have to
    > move the machine. It just hard-locks while in use. Just typing on
    > the keyboard can be enough.

    We believe we've narrowed this down to the units having been picked up
    one-handed while open by the leftmost front corner of the palmrest.
    Apparently there's a solder failure on the VPU socket assembly that results
    in a video driver BSOD and a resultant lockup. Seems to be the only common
    thing among most of the failures I've studied.

    My first T40 (one of the first on the street) suffered this failure during a
    trip shortly after I received it. Looking back on it I can remember having
    to open the unit for inspection at the airport and quite possibly caused the
    failure at that time due to mishandling.

    > The best thing about the T40 is it's about at the end of it's life
    > cycle :)

    Yes, but the T40 was well on its way to being the first decent replacement
    since the T23 for the 600 series until this failure reared its ugly head.
    --
    James

    Visit the Thinkpad Forums
    http://forum.thinkpads.com