    few bent pins, and it's missing 2 of its heatsink pads.

    If I straighten the pins with plyers, would the chip still work?

    And are the heatsink pads that important?
    Seldome, Sep 29, 2007

  2. Seldome

    Conor Guest

    In article <46fed4e5$0$18999$>, Seldome says...
    > I got this chip from a friends computer and I know it works, but it has a
    > few bent pins, and it's missing 2 of its heatsink pads.
    >
    > If I straighten the pins with plyers, would the chip still work?

    Yes.
    > And are the heatsink pads that important?

    A bit but it amy be possible to still buy a shim you can use. If not,
    simply taking care and ensuring you fit the heatsink flat should see
    you sorted.

    --
    Conor

    I'm not prejudiced. I hate everyone equally.
    Conor, Sep 30, 2007

  3. Seldome wrote:

    > I got this chip from a friends computer and I know it works, but it has a
    > few bent pins, and it's missing 2 of its heatsink pads.
    >
    > If I straighten the pins with plyers, would the chip still work?
    >
    > And are the heatsink pads that important?

    The pads are there for a reason. Find some foam with similar thickness
    and replace all 4 pads with new ones. (Maybe two thicknesses of vitamin
    pill lid foam?)

    OTOH, if your friend abused the chip this much, I bet he's already
    zapped it to death anyway. (That funny 'static' stuff kills chips dead.)
    Greg Campbell, Oct 1, 2007
  4. Seldome

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Conor wrote:
    > In article <46fed4e5$0$18999$>, Seldome says...
    > > I got this chip from a friends computer and I know it works, but it
    > > has a few bent pins, and it's missing 2 of its heatsink pads.
    > >
    > > If I straighten the pins with plyers, would the chip still work?
    > >

    > Yes.
    > > And are the heatsink pads that important?
    > >

    > A bit but it amy be possible to still buy a shim you can use. If not,
    > simply taking care and ensuring you fit the heatsink flat should see
    > you sorted.

    I've used bits of that foam double-sided tape instead of the pads. Just
    leave the protective bit on the top side of the tape so it's not sticky. The
    roll I had just happened to be the same thickness (and roughly the same
    compressability) as the pads.

    Really, the pads are only there to stop you putting the HS on crookedly
    forcefully and chipping the die. As Conor said, if you're careful you won't
    need to wrry about it.

    Oh, I use fine tweezers for straightening pins.

    Good luck.
    --
    TTFN.

    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Oct 2, 2007
  5. Seldome

    Wookie Guest

    If you could straighten out the pins with a credit card .. something less
    intrusive than pliers that would be better.

    Wookie, Oct 15, 2007
  6. Seldome

    Kris Guest

    On 10/15/2007 9:51:59 AM, "Wookie" wrote:
    > If you could straighten out the pins with a credit card .. something less
    > intrusive than pliers that would be better.
    >
    > "Seldome" <> wrote in message
    >>I got this chip from a friends computer and I know it works, but it has a
    >>few bent pins, and it's missing 2 of its heatsink pads.
    >>
    >> If I straighten the pins with plyers, would the chip still work?
    >>
    >> And are the heatsink pads that important?

    the pads are/were there to protect the edges of those smallchips from being
    broken off as you rock the hs back and forth while putting it on. I seem to
    recall having a bought pad of sorts that went around the whole thing - 2
    actually - one made of copper and one of plastic. Fudge something and be very
    careful when mounting the hsf that you go straight down. It cannot be more
    thick than the height of the exposed part of the chip.

    --
    -Kris
    ABIT KN8 Ultra(NForce4Ultra), Ath64 3500+, 2x512MB Geil, Leadtek PX6600GT TDH 128mb, Leadtek WinFast TV2000 XP Expert TV card.
    Kris, Oct 16, 2007