Question about new Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Apple' started by John Young, Jun 15, 2012.

  1. John Young

    John Young Guest

    Today I am buying a new Mac Pro "Model Identifier MacPro5,1" Model
    #MC560LL/A. I know that is the just replaced model. I am replacing my
    old Mac Pro "Model Identifier MacPro1,1" I have three questions.

    Is there any reason my old ATI Radeon 3870 HD Mac Edition video PCI Card
    will not work in my new Mac Pro? I like the 1080p HDMI output it
    delivers to my TV.

    I want to add a USB 3.0 PCI card and have read good reviews on the
    CalDigit SuperSpeed PCI Express Card.

    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/CalDigit/U3HOSTADPTR/

    All the other cards I have read reviews on seem to have a problem like
    some will not support card readers and some will not support hubs but
    from what I have read the CalDigit does it all.
    Any suggestions on selecting a good USB 3.0 PCI card that will support
    card readers, hubs, storage ETC.?

    I have 10 GB of RAM Memory installed in my old Mac Pro is this
    compatible with the newer Model Identifier MacPro5,1?

    Thanks very much for any help!

    John Young, Jun 15, 2012

  2. John Young

    JF Mezei Guest

    John Young wrote:

    > Is there any reason my old ATI Radeon 3870 HD Mac Edition video PCI Card
    > will not work in my new Mac Pro? I like the 1080p HDMI output it
    > delivers to my TV.

    I am not sure what Macpro 1,1 is. My 2009 MacPro is Macpro 4,1

    Remenber that current macpro are PCExpress which is incompatible with
    old PCI stuff.

    However, if your old Mac was already PCI Express, chances are that your
    old video card will work on it.

    > I want to add a USB 3.0 PCI card and have read good reviews on the
    > CalDigit SuperSpeed PCI Express Card.

    I am unsure about that. Does the card require any drivers or does it
    present itself as a generic USB card ?

    > I have 10 GB of RAM Memory installed in my old Mac Pro is this
    > compatible with the newer Model Identifier MacPro5,1?

    My MacPro 4,1 uses 1066mhz memory.
    The current Macpro has different memory:
    dual processor: 1333mhz memory
    single processor: 3.2ghz CPU= 1066mhz memory
    3.33Ghz CPU= 1333 mhz memory

    http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html

    If Your MacPro is from 2006 MA356LL/A http://support.apple.com/kb/SP30 ,
    then your memory is not compatible (667Mhz DDR2 memory instad of 1333 DDR3)

    It does have PCI express.

    JF Mezei, Jun 15, 2012

  3. John Young

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    John Young <> wrote:

    > I have 10 GB of RAM Memory installed in my old Mac Pro is this
    > compatible with the newer Model Identifier MacPro5,1?

    The mac pro 1.1, which is what I have, uses 667 mh DDR2 memory. The
    new mac pro uses 1333 mh DDR3 memory. So, I suspect that it wont work
    and can almost guarantee that if it does, it wont work well.

    You can find third party mac pro 1333 DDR3 memory for less than 200
    dollars for 4x4gb.

    dick

    Dick Sidbury, Jun 15, 2012
  4. John Young

    Lewis Guest

    In message <-september.org>
    John Young <> wrote:
    > Today I am buying a new Mac Pro "Model Identifier MacPro5,1" Model
    > #MC560LL/A. I know that is the just replaced model. I am replacing my
    > old Mac Pro "Model Identifier MacPro1,1" I have three questions.

    > Is there any reason my old ATI Radeon 3870 HD Mac Edition video PCI Card
    > will not work in my new Mac Pro? I like the 1080p HDMI output it
    > delivers to my TV.

    It should work, but the new card (5770) is better. Much better.

    > I want to add a USB 3.0 PCI card and have read good reviews on the
    > CalDigit SuperSpeed PCI Express Card.

    > http://eshop.macsales.com/item/CalDigit/U3HOSTADPTR/

    I haven't seen a USB3 card work reliably in a MacPro yet, but I haven't
    used that one. I have a Sonnet card that works about 50% of the time
    (that is to say, not enough to even try to use it).

    > All the other cards I have read reviews on seem to have a problem like
    > some will not support card readers and some will not support hubs but
    > from what I have read the CalDigit does it all.

    That would be great. Let us know if it really does work.

    > I have 10 GB of RAM Memory installed in my old Mac Pro is this
    > compatible with the newer Model Identifier MacPro5,1?

    No.

    MacPro1,1: 240-pin PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 ECC fully-buffered DIMM
    (FB-DIMM) (matched pairs)

    MacPro5,1: 240-pin PC3-10600E (1333 MHz) DDR3 ECC SDRAM (memory speed
    for certain configurations is 1066 MHz)

    --
    A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.
    I gotta straighten my face This mellow-thighed chick just put my spine

    Lewis, Jun 16, 2012
  5. John Young

    John Young Guest

    In article <>,
    Lewis <> wrote:

    > In message <-september.org>
    > John Young <> wrote:
    > > Today I am buying a new Mac Pro "Model Identifier MacPro5,1" Model
    > > #MC560LL/A. I know that is the just replaced model. I am replacing my
    > > old Mac Pro "Model Identifier MacPro1,1" I have three questions.

    > > Is there any reason my old ATI Radeon 3870 HD Mac Edition video PCI Card
    > > will not work in my new Mac Pro? I like the 1080p HDMI output it
    > > delivers to my TV.

    > It should work, but the new card (5770) is better. Much better.

    I think I have discovered that fact. I had no idea the Mini Display out
    would support 1080p and audio out on Mac Pros with Model Identifiers of
    "MacPro5,1" or higher. It does seem to be a better card.

    > > I want to add a USB 3.0 PCI card and have read good reviews on the
    > > CalDigit SuperSpeed PCI Express Card.

    > > http://eshop.macsales.com/item/CalDigit/U3HOSTADPTR/

    > I haven't seen a USB3 card work reliably in a MacPro yet, but I haven't
    > used that one. I have a Sonnet card that works about 50% of the time
    > (that is to say, not enough to even try to use it).
    >
    > > All the other cards I have read reviews on seem to have a problem like
    > > some will not support card readers and some will not support hubs but
    > > from what I have read the CalDigit does it all.

    > That would be great. Let us know if it really does work.

    I will as I am going to order one from "OWC" Other World Computing.

    > > I have 10 GB of RAM Memory installed in my old Mac Pro is this
    > > compatible with the newer Model Identifier MacPro5,1?

    > No.
    >
    > MacPro1,1: 240-pin PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 ECC fully-buffered DIMM
    > (FB-DIMM) (matched pairs)
    >
    > MacPro5,1: 240-pin PC3-10600E (1333 MHz) DDR3 ECC SDRAM (memory speed
    > for certain configurations is 1066 MHz)

    I did not realize how cheap 16 GB of memory is. I ordered 16 GB
    of kingston memory from amazon for 140 dollars.

    I will report back on the CalDigit USB 3.0 card.
    I like my new Mac Pro!
    Thank you and the other forum members for all the answers.

    John Young, Jun 16, 2012
  6. John Young

    JF Mezei Guest

    John Young wrote:

    > I think I have discovered that fact. I had no idea the Mini Display out
    > would support 1080p and audio out on Mac Pros with Model Identifiers of
    > "MacPro5,1" or higher. It does seem to be a better card.

    Howver, Apple does not make Mini-Display to HDMI, you get that adaptor
    from 3rd party such as Belkin and others. And those do not support Audio
    within HDMI. I use TOSlink cable for audio.

    (This may have changed since laast year when I pligged my new TV onto my
    Mac and I have a MacPro 4,1)

    JF Mezei, Jun 16, 2012
  7. John Young

    John Young Guest

    In article <4fdcb8c8$0$32199$c3e8da3$>,
    JF Mezei <> wrote:

    > John Young wrote:
    >
    > > I think I have discovered that fact. I had no idea the Mini Display out
    > > would support 1080p and audio out on Mac Pros with Model Identifiers of
    > > "MacPro5,1" or higher. It does seem to be a better card.

    > Howver, Apple does not make Mini-Display to HDMI, you get that adaptor
    > from 3rd party such as Belkin and others. And those do not support Audio
    > within HDMI. I use TOSlink cable for audio.
    >
    > (This may have changed since laast year when I pligged my new TV onto my
    > Mac and I have a MacPro 4,1)

    JF check out this cable and reviews.

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L18YG2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

    I was also using a TOSlink cable for audio but that made me use two
    cables. I this is going to work out better for me.

    Thank you.

    John Young, Jun 16, 2012
  8. John Young

    John Young Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    John Young <> wrote:

    > In article <4fdcb8c8$0$32199$c3e8da3$>,
    > JF Mezei <> wrote:
    >
    > > John Young wrote:
    > >
    > > > I think I have discovered that fact. I had no idea the Mini Display out
    > > > would support 1080p and audio out on Mac Pros with Model Identifiers of
    > > > "MacPro5,1" or higher. It does seem to be a better card.

    > > Howver, Apple does not make Mini-Display to HDMI, you get that adaptor
    > > from 3rd party such as Belkin and others. And those do not support Audio
    > > within HDMI. I use TOSlink cable for audio.
    > >
    > > (This may have changed since laast year when I pligged my new TV onto my
    > > Mac and I have a MacPro 4,1)

    > JF check out this cable and reviews.
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L18YG2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
    >
    > I was also using a TOSlink cable for audio but that made me use two
    > cables. I this is going to work out better for me.
    >
    > Thank you.

    Answered to quick the Mac Pro has to be "Model Identifier 5,1" as I
    understand it. I will let you know for sure on Tuesday when the cable
    arrives form Amazon if it in fact works with the Mac Pro with Identifier
    5,1.

    John Young, Jun 16, 2012
  9. In article <4fdcb8c8$0$32199$c3e8da3$>,
    JF Mezei <> wrote:

    > John Young wrote:
    >
    > > I think I have discovered that fact. I had no idea the Mini Display out
    > > would support 1080p and audio out on Mac Pros with Model Identifiers of
    > > "MacPro5,1" or higher. It does seem to be a better card.

    > Howver, Apple does not make Mini-Display to HDMI, you get that adaptor
    > from 3rd party such as Belkin and others. And those do not support Audio
    > within HDMI. I use TOSlink cable for audio.

    Many Mini-DP to HDMI adapters *do* support HDMI audio, including Belkin,
    Griffin, Moshi, and Kanex -- but only on Macs which support it.

    Mac models introduced before 2010 (except the late 2009 iMac) do not support
    audio over Mini DisplayPort. Newer Macs do support it.

    See <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4241>.

    > (This may have changed since laast year when I pligged my new TV onto my
    > Mac and I have a MacPro 4,1)

    That's an early 2009 Mac Pro, which does not support audio through the Mini
    DisplayPort.

    Wayne C. Morris, Jun 16, 2012
  10. John Young

    John Young Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    John Young <> wrote:

    > In article <-september.org>,
    > John Young <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <4fdcb8c8$0$32199$c3e8da3$>,
    > > JF Mezei <> wrote:

    > > > Howver, Apple does not make Mini-Display to HDMI, you get that adaptor
    > > > from 3rd party such as Belkin and others. And those do not support Audio
    > > > within HDMI. I use TOSlink cable for audio.
    > > >
    > > > (This may have changed since laast year when I pligged my new TV onto my
    > > > Mac and I have a MacPro 4,1)

    > > JF check out this cable and reviews.
    > >
    > > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L18YG2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
    > >
    > > I was also using a TOSlink cable for audio but that made me use two
    > > cables. I this is going to work out better for me.
    > >
    > > Thank you.

    > Answered to quick the Mac Pro has to be "Model Identifier 5,1" as I
    > understand it. I will let you know for sure on Tuesday when the cable
    > arrives form Amazon if it in fact works with the Mac Pro with Identifier
    > 5,1.

    The Mini Display out on the Mac Pro "Model Identifier 5,1" works great
    with this cable. The cable was cheaper then the adaptors I could find.

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L18YG2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

    Video support is 1080p, 1080I and ten other resolutions along with a
    "Best for Display" check box. Audio out support works good as I have the
    speaker icon in the menu bar displayed and when it is selected with the
    option key held down my TV show up as "SAMSUNG". I like the way audio
    and video work independently so I can send either or both to my TV.
    The one cable I bought is thiner then just the TOSlink cable I was using
    so its a much neater set up then having both the TOSlink and the DVI to
    HMDI cable I was using.
    The 16GB of ram has been installed and works fine.
    As for the USB 3.0 card...I backed out of the order as my new Mac Pro
    was running so nicely and I have not heard many good luck stories about
    USB 3.0 cards. I may give a USB 3.0 card a try at a later date.
    So I am ready for ML...with no work arounds installing it on an older
    Mac Pro.
    Thanks again for all the answers to my questions.

    John Young, Jun 23, 2012