    into a motherboard first?

    Just checking to make sure I didnt get a bad PS.

    Thanks!

    OFD, Mar 30, 2005

  2. OFD

    Rob Stow Guest

    OFD wrote:
    > I just got a new Antec 550 and wanted to hear how loud it was so I plugged
    > it in, turned it on and it didnt come on. I dont have anything hooked to it
    > yet. I just wanted to hear it first. Is it okay? Does it neesd to be plugged
    > into a motherboard first?
    >
    > Just checking to make sure I didnt get a bad PS.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Yes, it does need to be plugged into a motherboard.

    You can trick it out by shorting together two of the pins, but I
    can't remember off hand which two pins they are. Just use your
    favourite search engine.

    Rob Stow, Mar 30, 2005

  3. OFD

    OFD Guest

    Thanks for your help!!

    OFD, Mar 30, 2005
  4. OFD

    Eric Guest

    OFD wrote:

    > I just got a new Antec 550 and wanted to hear how loud it was so I
    > plugged it in, turned it on and it didnt come on. I dont have anything
    > hooked to it yet. I just wanted to hear it first. Is it okay? Does it
    > neesd to be plugged into a motherboard first?
    >
    > Just checking to make sure I didnt get a bad PS.
    >
    > Thanks!

    PC Power & Cooling sells a power supply tester which plugs into the ATX
    connector http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com/products/cooling/tester/index.htm

    I've never used this unit so I can't provide any further information.

    Eric

    Eric, Mar 31, 2005
  5. OFD

    dr ratt Guest

    "Eric" <> wrote in message news:...
    > OFD wrote:
    > >
    > > I just got a new Antec 550 and wanted to hear how loud it was so I
    > > plugged it in, turned it on and it didnt come on. I dont have anything
    > > hooked to it yet. I just wanted to hear it first. Is it okay? Does it
    > > neesd to be plugged into a motherboard first?
    > >
    > > Just checking to make sure I didnt get a bad PS.
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    > PC Power & Cooling sells a power supply tester which plugs into the ATX
    > connector

    http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com/products/cooling/tester/index.htm

    > I've never used this unit so I can't provide any further information.
    >
    > Eric

    yes it needs plugging in as it's not supposed to come on until the button on
    the case front is pressed. there is a way to fool the psu that it is plugged
    in but you shouldn't mess with that if you don't understand what you're
    doing. just plug it in. you'll find it fairly unobtrusive in use.

    dr ratt

    dr ratt, Apr 2, 2005
  6. OFD

    roger haugen Guest

    trick it with the green and any black on the biggest plug

    roger haugen, May 15, 2005
  7. "roger haugen" <> wrote:
    >trick it with the green and any black on the biggest plug

    It takes more than that. At least the 5VDC bus must have a
    minimum load, and on large 400W+ power supplies that may be as
    high as 5 to 10 Amps, which is not trivial. While once upon a
    time it was possible to test a power supply by simply connecting
    a hard disk to provide a load, that is no longer true.

    Essentially, there is little point in a Rube Goldberg lashup to
    see if the fan makes noise. It doesn't. Regardless, here's a
    the proceedure for testing ATX power supplies. This assumes a
    20-pin plug (the colors would be the same, but see below for a
    24-pin plug pinout).

    1) Plug AC in.

    2) Measure pin 9 (Purple wire). Should show about 5.0 vdc.

    3) Measure pin 14 (Green wire). Should show some voltage
    between 3.5 and 5 vdc. The exact voltage is not critical.

    4) Unplug AC.

    5) Put a load across the 5 vdc line. With a small supply you
    can do this using an old disk drive, cdrom, or a resistor.
    With large supplies it may require a load of 5 to 10 Amps
    (A 1 Ohm resistor would draw 5 Amps. The power rating would
    need to be at least 2 times the power to be dissipated.)

    6) Jumper pin 14 (Green wire) to ground (any Black wire).

    7) Plug AC in.

    8) A. The fan should run.
    B. All voltages should measure close to their
    nominal values (Note that -5v and -12v may be
    very poorly regulated).

    Note that pin 14 is the PS-ON signal line, which is normally
    wired to the on/off switching circuit on the motherboard. It
    has a 1000 ohm pull-up resistor connected (internal to the PSU)
    to the +5v Standby line, and if there is no other connection it
    should probably read close to 5 volts. That voltage will cause
    the power supply to be "off". The nominal switching point for
    PS-ON is 0.8vdc, and standard operating voltages are less than
    0.4 volts for "on" and more than 3.5 volts for "off".

    Here is a list of leads on a 20 pin connector,

    PIN COLOR NAME DESCRIPTION
    ------------------------------------
    1 Orange +3.3V Power, +3.3V
    2 Orange +3.3V Power, +3.3V
    3 Black GND Ground
    4 Red +5V Power, +5V
    5 Black GND Ground
    6 Red +5V Power, +5V
    7 Black GND Ground
    8 Gray PWR-OK Power OK
    9 Purple +5V VSB +5V VSB
    10 Yellow +12V Power, +12V
    11 Orange +3.3V Power, +3.3V
    12 Blue -12V Power, -12V
    13 Black GND Ground
    14 Green PS-ON PS Remote on/off
    15 Black GND Ground
    16 Black GND Ground
    17 Black GND Ground
    18 White -5V Power, -5V
    19 Red +5V Power, +5V
    20 Red +5V Power, +5V

    And this is a list of leads on a 24 pin connector,

    PIN COLOR NAME DESCRIPTION
    ------------------------------------
    1 Orange +3.3V Power, +3.3V
    2 Orange +3.3V Power, +3.3V
    3 Black GND Ground
    4 Red +5V Power, +5V
    5 Black GND Ground
    6 Red +5V Power, +5V
    7 Black GND Ground
    8 Gray PWR-OK Power OK
    9 Purple +5V VSB +5V VSB
    10 Yellow +12V Power, +12V
    11 Yellow +12V Power, +12V
    12 Orange +3.3V Power, +3.3V
    13 Orange +3.3V Power, +3.3V
    14 Blue -12V Power, -12V
    15 Black GND Ground
    16 Green PS-ON PS Remote on/off
    17 Black GND Ground
    18 Black GND Ground
    19 Black GND Ground
    20 White -5V Power, -5V
    21 Red +5V Power, +5V
    22 Red +5V Power, +5V
    23 Red +5V Power, +5V
    24 Black GND Ground

    The -5 VDC line may not exist.

    The +5 VSB supply is Standby Power, which supplys parts of the
    motherboard which are always powered up (to allow options like
    "wake-on ..." to work).

    The PWR-OK line is at ~5 VDC if the AC input and the +5V and
    +12V lines are within specifications. If either the +5V or the
    +12V line falls to below the specified voltage tolerance or if
    AC is lost for more than one power cycle interval, then PWR-OK,
    will drop to ~0 VDC. (If it helps any, if AC is lost, PWR-OK is
    supposed to drop at least 1 ms before the +5V and +12V lines go
    below specified voltage tolerances!)

    --
    Floyd L. Davidson <http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson>
    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

    Floyd L. Davidson, May 15, 2005
  8. (Floyd L. Davidson) writes:
    > Here is a list of leads on a 20 pin connector,

    > And this is a list of leads on a 24 pin connector,

    Other than the slightly beefier current ratings (and the lack of a
    -5v) I wonder if there are any substantial differences between ATX
    20-pin, ATX 24-pin and ESPV12. I tried to compare the specs but
    couldn't see much of a difference. It looks a lot like the ATX folks
    mostly just adopted the ESPV12 spec, but only went with a 4-pin aux
    12v connector instead of the 8-pin version. I wonder if there are any
    hidden gotchas. Know of any?

    -wolfgang

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Jun 15, 2005