Question MSI PM8M-V motherboard USB ports

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Barry Watzman, Aug 16, 2006.

  1. I had an MSI PM8M-V motherboard (Intel CPU, Via P4M800 chipset with
    VT-8237R).

    I had a problem with this motherboard, the internal USB ports (the 4
    ports on the motherboard headers) would only work at USB 1.x speeds,
    while the 4 rear ports worked fine in USB 2 mode.

    I went round and round with MSI tech support on this one for 2 months,
    we even replaced the board, but the replacement board had the same
    problem. We ruled out drivers and USB header to socket cables as
    possible problems. In the end, both I and MSI tech support gave up: we
    could not resolve the problem. I replaced the PM8M-V board with a Mach
    Tech motherboard from Tiger Direct that is almost identical to the
    PM8M-V, even using the same chips (Via P4M800 and VT-8237R) and it
    worked fine, all ports both internal and rear panel worked as USB 2.0
    ports. These two motherboards are so similar that I didn't even have to
    reinstall windows, just swap the hard drive with Windows already installed.

    My question is, does anyone else have a PM8M-V board (or experience with
    it), and do you know if you have/had the same issue? Note that the USB
    ports did work .... they would only operate as USB 1.x ports, however,
    and if you plugged in a USB 2 device you got the "This device can run
    faster if ......" popup over the system tray. Also, the measured
    transfer speeds really were USB 1.x speeds for those ports, while the
    exact same device plugged into a rear USB port worked fine as a USB 2
    device at USB 2 speeds.

    Barry Watzman, Aug 16, 2006

  2. Barry Watzman

    Ledhedd

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    I'm dealing with EXACTLY the same problem, although you're one up on me since you were actually able to get MSI tech support to respond to you. I've sent a bunch of request to their tech support system, but no reply.

    Ledhedd, Sep 30, 2006

  3. Barry Watzman

    nemo1

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    I am having the same issue and MSI tech support did not get back to me too. May I know how you are measuring the USB speeds and how can you determine wether USB2 is required for a device?

    nemo1, Apr 16, 2007