R31 thoughts.

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by T i m, Jul 21, 2009.

  1. T i m

    T i m Guest

    Hi all,

    Ages ago I was given an R31 (2656 M3G) to fix or dispose of (no
    backlight). I was busy at the time and I / they didn't want to gamble
    on an inverter when it might be the CCFL so it got shoved in a
    cupboard.

    Last night I dug it out for a play on an external monitor and I like
    it. ;-)

    Sooo, very dead screen (but stuff going on when viewed in bright
    light) so what is the most likely fault please? Did I read of a fuse
    somewhere?

    FWIW I did replace the CCFL in my old Dell and assuming I could get
    one (I got the Dell one from the States) I've got nothing to lose by
    trying to replace it on this.

    I did try Ubuntu (V9.04) on there but it came up with some errors
    (audio I think).

    Cheers, T i m

    p.s. Never had a Thinkpad, always wanted one. ;-)

    1. Advertising

  2. Bob Villa

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Jul 21, 2:51 am, T i m <> wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Ages ago I was given an R31 (2656 M3G) to fix or dispose of (no
    > backlight). I was busy at the time and I / they didn't want to gamble
    > on an inverter when it might be the CCFL so it got shoved in a
    > cupboard.
    >
    > Last night I dug it out for a play on an external monitor and I like
    > it. ;-)
    >
    > Sooo, very dead screen (but stuff going on when viewed in bright
    > light) so what is the most likely fault please? Did I read of a fuse
    > somewhere?
    >
    > FWIW I did replace the CCFL in my old Dell and assuming I could get
    > one (I got the Dell one from the States) I've got nothing to lose by
    > trying to replace it on this.
    >
    > I did try Ubuntu (V9.04) on there but it came up with some errors
    > (audio I think).
    >
    > Cheers, T i m
    >
    > p.s. Never had a Thinkpad, always wanted one. ;-)

    Quite a bit of rambling...but I did catch on! Good Luck (and easy on
    the caffeine)!
    bob_v

    1. Advertising

  3. T i m

    T i m Guest

    On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 04:50:39 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa
    <> wrote:

    >> Ages ago I was given an R31 (2656 M3G) to fix or dispose of (no
    >> backlight). I was busy at the time and I / they didn't want to gamble
    >> on an inverter when it might be the CCFL so it got shoved in a
    >> cupboard.
    >>

    >> I did try Ubuntu (V9.04) on there but it came up with some errors
    >> (audio I think).
    >>

    >Quite a bit of rambling...but I did catch on!

    Thanks for hanging in there. ;-)

    >Good Luck (and easy on
    >the caffeine)!

    Update. Fresh restore of XP, no DHCP on the internal network, a USB <>
    Ethernet adaptor or PCMCIA WiFi card. Clean generic install of XP no
    different. Static i/p addresses - no probs. Hmm

    So: Live Ubuntu CD and all networking ok > Full install of Ubuntu and
    all seems ok (but slower than XP).

    All I need now is to see if I can find a working inverter and if it
    isn't that then I might remove the display and fix the laptop to the
    back of a desktop TFT and make a cheap low-energy Internet machine
    (and I'll probably put XP back on and just leave the i/p stuff
    static).

    Cheers, T i m

  4. Bob Villa

    Bob Villa Guest

    >I might remove the display and fix the laptop to the
    back of a desktop TFT and make a cheap low-energy Internet machine
    (and I'll probably put XP back on and just leave the i/p stuff
    static).

    A hybrid...what a great idea!

    bob_v

  5. T i m

    T i m Guest

    On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 03:46:40 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa
    <> wrote:

    >>I might remove the display and fix the laptop to the

    >back of a desktop TFT and make a cheap low-energy Internet machine
    >(and I'll probably put XP back on and just leave the i/p stuff
    >static).
    >
    >A hybrid...what a great idea!

    I'll have to confess it wasn't my idea.

    I've since taken the screen off, fresh XP install (Ubuntu seemed to be
    having issues with the graphics, some characters were getting
    corrupted etc) and have it running on a little 15" TFT. I am now
    looking for a 512M PC133 SODIMM and I should be away. ;-)

    This Thinkpad is quite suitable for this project as no interfaces or
    CD / floppy drives are at the front so nothing inaccessible when the
    unit is vertical behind the display.

    I could go into production with my VESA conversion brackets. ;-)

    Anyone know what the maximum capacity HDD I could put in there please?
    Or I may even fit an external USB drive to it for portability between
    machines.

    T i m

  6. Adrian C

    Adrian C Guest

    Bob Villa wrote:
    >> I might remove the display and fix the laptop to the

    > back of a desktop TFT and make a cheap low-energy Internet machine
    > (and I'll probably put XP back on and just leave the i/p stuff
    > static).
    >
    > A hybrid...what a great idea!

    Dismantle the original LCD, remove the diffuser/mirror and tape the
    screen to the outside of a cardboard grocery carton with a suitable hole
    cut in it. Place a mains CFL in the box...

    --
    Adrian C

  7. T i m

    T i m Guest

    On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 18:56:18 +0100, Adrian C <>
    wrote:

    >Bob Villa wrote:
    >>> I might remove the display and fix the laptop to the

    >> back of a desktop TFT and make a cheap low-energy Internet machine
    >> (and I'll probably put XP back on and just leave the i/p stuff
    >> static).
    >>
    >> A hybrid...what a great idea!
    >>

    >Dismantle the original LCD, remove the diffuser/mirror and tape the
    >screen to the outside of a cardboard grocery carton with a suitable hole
    >cut in it. Place a mains CFL in the box...

    ;-)

    Or just fit a new CFL to the laptop monitor? I did that on an old Dell
    I was given, bought the CFL from the States for a fraction of what I
    would have paid here. Bit of a fiddley job, one of those where you
    really need at least 4 hands but it went ok in the end and has been
    working ever since.

    The key with a lot of this laptop (or PC's in general for that matter)
    is having another similar model to play with, substituting parts etc
    (as I'm sure we all know).

    I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro A60 (supplied by the Insurance Co in
    lieu of an old Compaq that got damaged) that suddenly died after not
    much use. I remember a mate having one with a duff screen and when
    asked he kindly he gave it to me. It turns out it was an Equium A60
    (but close enough) that had been raped of hdd, memory, WiFi and
    keyboard. Luckily I had all those and now appear to have a working
    laptop again. ;-)

    Cheers, T i m