R50 battery won't charge

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by knitwitchzone@gmail.com, Jun 25, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I'm working with an IBM R50 that suddenly stopped charging the battery.
    I just got a brand new battery that came out of the box at 48% charged
    and now the machine won't recharge any further. Running on just the
    AC adapter, when I check the battery status, I've got averaging around
    12.0 V but no amperage and the display is not showing anything on the
    charge completion time. I'll have to check what I get when I'm using
    the docking station. (NOTE: the adapter's label says I should have
    16.0V - 4.5 A output) The machine won't charge either this new one or
    my old battery, but will power the machine fime for operation.

    Today, I called a local computer repair place who said that it sounded
    like some sort of problem with the internal charger that is tied in
    with the motherboard and thus is not cost-effective to repair/replace.
    I guess I just wanted a second opinion since that sounded a little
    weird to me.

    I need to use the battery to have the laptop portable and for now am
    watching it to see if it discharges any while on AC power, but so far
    it's still holding charge at least. I'd like to try some other way to
    charge the battery but don't know how I should go about doing that. I'm
    looking into universal chargers, but don't get how it will connect to
    the funky shaped battery connections for the R50. Any suggestions are
    greatly appreciated as I am falling behind quick on a lot of work while
    I'm trying to sort this out...

    1. Advertising

  2. Woody

    Woody Guest

    The output of the charger measures about 18 volts with a multimeter. Try
    another charger. Don't understand your statement on the power plug as it is
    a standard power plug. RS makes a universal charger that has all the
    different size plugs and voltage selections. See if the computer will try
    another charger for a fee.

    <> wrote in message
    > I'm working with an IBM R50 that suddenly stopped charging the battery.
    > I just got a brand new battery that came out of the box at 48% charged
    > and now the machine won't recharge any further. Running on just the
    > AC adapter, when I check the battery status, I've got averaging around
    > 12.0 V but no amperage and the display is not showing anything on the
    > charge completion time. I'll have to check what I get when I'm using
    > the docking station. (NOTE: the adapter's label says I should have
    > 16.0V - 4.5 A output) The machine won't charge either this new one or
    > my old battery, but will power the machine fime for operation.
    >
    > Today, I called a local computer repair place who said that it sounded
    > like some sort of problem with the internal charger that is tied in
    > with the motherboard and thus is not cost-effective to repair/replace.
    > I guess I just wanted a second opinion since that sounded a little
    > weird to me.
    >
    > I need to use the battery to have the laptop portable and for now am
    > watching it to see if it discharges any while on AC power, but so far
    > it's still holding charge at least. I'd like to try some other way to
    > charge the battery but don't know how I should go about doing that. I'm
    > looking into universal chargers, but don't get how it will connect to
    > the funky shaped battery connections for the R50. Any suggestions are
    > greatly appreciated as I am falling behind quick on a lot of work while
    > I'm trying to sort this out...

    1. Advertising

  3. Chani

    Chani Guest

    Well after running for a while on the direct laptop AC adapter, the
    battery continued to discharge down to 8% even though the machine
    seemed to recognize that it was being powered by AC (showing the plug
    icon on the menu bar). I've since purchased an IBM charger that will
    charge the batteries for me externally and that should be coming in
    soon, so I can at least charge the batteries seperately to have them
    ready for use.

    I don't quite understand which "power plug" your referring to or what
    you mean by "try another charger for a fee"... The AC adapter is the
    IBM one that plugs directly into back of the laptop. I also have
    another power plug that goes with the docking station and has a
    completely different connection/port type than the laptop adapter,
    though I haven't checked it's specs for voltage and amperage yet.

    Woody wrote:
    > The output of the charger measures about 18 volts with a multimeter. Try
    > another charger. Don't understand your statement on the power plug as it is
    > a standard power plug. RS makes a universal charger that has all the
    > different size plugs and voltage selections. See if the computer will try
    > another charger for a fee.
    >

    > <> wrote in message
    > > I'm working with an IBM R50 that suddenly stopped charging the battery.
    > > I just got a brand new battery that came out of the box at 48% charged
    > > and now the machine won't recharge any further. Running on just the
    > > AC adapter, when I check the battery status, I've got averaging around
    > > 12.0 V but no amperage and the display is not showing anything on the
    > > charge completion time. I'll have to check what I get when I'm using
    > > the docking station. (NOTE: the adapter's label says I should have
    > > 16.0V - 4.5 A output) The machine won't charge either this new one or
    > > my old battery, but will power the machine fime for operation.
    > >
    > > Today, I called a local computer repair place who said that it sounded
    > > like some sort of problem with the internal charger that is tied in
    > > with the motherboard and thus is not cost-effective to repair/replace.
    > > I guess I just wanted a second opinion since that sounded a little
    > > weird to me.
    > >
    > > I need to use the battery to have the laptop portable and for now am
    > > watching it to see if it discharges any while on AC power, but so far
    > > it's still holding charge at least. I'd like to try some other way to
    > > charge the battery but don't know how I should go about doing that. I'm
    > > looking into universal chargers, but don't get how it will connect to
    > > the funky shaped battery connections for the R50. Any suggestions are
    > > greatly appreciated as I am falling behind quick on a lot of work while
    > > I'm trying to sort this out...

  4. Chani

    Chani Guest

    Turns out that the new battery may be defective as it will not charge
    on the charger base either, but the original battery did just fine.
    I'll have to observe more to see if the PC will maintain the charge or
    not.

    I'm begining to suspect bad cables or connections in the power
    linkages.