    Sorry if this is as informative as your free daily newspaper, I just
    wanted to rant a bit :p (been waiting for the r520 for a few months now)

    Any news on the next gen video cards? :D

    Manuel, Jan 7, 2005

  2. Manuel

    Idbbs01 Guest

    >I can't wait til R520 Video Cards come out! I wish ATI released some
    >information, I would love for them to come out with a SLI or dual core
    >version :p (SOON!)
    >
    >I have a Radeon 9800 Pro but I'm waiting for the next gen video cards to
    > spend money on it.
    >
    >/rant off
    >
    >Sorry if this is as informative as your free daily newspaper, I just
    >wanted to rant a bit :p (been waiting for the r520 for a few months now)
    >
    >Any news on the next gen video cards? :D

    I heard ATI is waiting for kids to save up allowance money before releasing the
    R520

    Idbbs01, Jan 8, 2005

  3. Manuel

    NightSky 421 Guest

    "Manuel" <> wrote in message
    >I can't wait til R520 Video Cards come out! I wish ATI released some
    >information, I would love for them to come out with a SLI or dual core
    >version :p (SOON!)
    >
    > I have a Radeon 9800 Pro but I'm waiting for the next gen video cards to
    > spend money on it.
    >
    > /rant off
    >
    > Sorry if this is as informative as your free daily newspaper, I just
    > wanted to rant a bit :p (been waiting for the r520 for a few months now)
    >
    > Any news on the next gen video cards? :D

    I don't know when we might see the R520, but depending on who you ask, they
    could be coming out anytime between May and November. As far as SLI goes, I
    think ATI has no choice but to offer it since nVidia is their chief
    competitor.

    I myself have a Radeon 9800 Pro and think I will be holding out for an R520
    card, or something of that generation. I don't plan to do anything major to
    my PC this year, but I will look at building a whole new computer in about a
    year's time. I won't be buying the very best video card money can buy, but
    I can rest assured that by early 2006 that even a mid-range gaming card
    would easily do circles around my 9800 Pro.

    NightSky 421, Jan 10, 2005
  4. Manuel

    Nada Guest

    NightSky 421 wrote:

    > "Manuel" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Any news on the next gen video cards? :D

    > I don't know when we might see the R520, but depending on who you ask, they
    > could be coming out anytime between May and November. As far as SLI goes, I
    > think ATI has no choice but to offer it since nVidia is their chief
    > competitor.

    Has any hardware site offered input on the power consumption for the
    SLI? I mean, this just has to drink more juice than your average PSU
    can offer.

    Nada, Jan 10, 2005
  5. Manuel

    NightSky 421 Guest

    "Nada" <_killspam> wrote in message

    > Has any hardware site offered input on the power consumption for the SLI?
    > I mean, this just has to drink more juice than your average PSU can offer.

    That's a good point. I don't know of any hardware sites who have
    specifically spoken about power requirements, but a dual video card rig is
    something that requires some thought ahead of time. It was OK in the
    Voodoo2 days, but here in the 21st century, power consumption and heat are
    major concerns. You're going to need a monster power supply and a case with
    excellent all-round cooling. This is especially true since you aren't going
    to see dual video cards to (much of) their potential unless you have a
    high-end processor, which means even more heat.

    Right now, I have a 2.8GHz Pentium 4 Northwood C with a 9800 Pro video card
    and dual 120GB 7200RPM hard drives. Last summer was brutal running that
    computer sometimes because of the amount of heat it was spewing out. I
    shudder to think what it would be like with two current-gen cards with an
    even faster processor. I think such a computer in the hot summer climate
    would strictly have to be a basement computer.

    NightSky 421, Jan 10, 2005
  6. Manuel

    Thomas Guest

    NightSky 421 wrote:
    > Right now, I have a 2.8GHz Pentium 4 Northwood C with a 9800 Pro
    > video card and dual 120GB 7200RPM hard drives. Last summer was
    > brutal running that computer sometimes because of the amount of heat
    > it was spewing out. I shudder to think what it would be like with
    > two current-gen cards with an even faster processor. I think such a
    > computer in the hot summer climate would strictly have to be a
    > basement computer.

    I had the same problem before, and that with in the moderate Dutch summer...
    I cheanged to watercooling, which makes my PC a lot less vulnerable for high
    temperatures.

    --
    Thomas

    Thomas, Jan 11, 2005
  7. Manuel

    Nada Guest

    NightSky 421 wrote:

    > "Nada" <_killspam> wrote:
    >
    >>Has any hardware site offered input on the power consumption for the SLI?
    >>I mean, this just has to drink more juice than your average PSU can offer.
    >>

    > That's a good point. I don't know of any hardware sites who have
    > specifically spoken about power requirements, but a dual video card rig is
    > something that requires some thought ahead of time. It was OK in the
    > Voodoo2 days, but here in the 21st century, power consumption and heat are
    > major concerns. You're going to need a monster power supply and a case with
    > excellent all-round cooling. This is especially true since you aren't going
    > to see dual video cards to (much of) their potential unless you have a
    > high-end processor, which means even more heat.
    >
    > Right now, I have a 2.8GHz Pentium 4 Northwood C with a 9800 Pro video card
    > and dual 120GB 7200RPM hard drives. Last summer was brutal running that
    > computer sometimes because of the amount of heat it was spewing out. I
    > shudder to think what it would be like with two current-gen cards with an
    > even faster processor. I think such a computer in the hot summer climate
    > would strictly have to be a basement computer.

    Stability is going to be an issue when the heat waves arrive in warmer
    parts of the globe. I'm sure they'll manage in Iceland, but in Texas
    and other warmer sides of the planet have a hellova lot to deal with. I
    have roundabout the same rig as you do with AMD Barton, and while I
    didn't have any lockups during the peaks of summer, it didn't exactly
    give me a peace of mind to think there was a sauna inside my Chieftec
    tower. The Pentiums up in their +3GHz will have a heckova hard time
    dealing with two SLI 6800GTs installed when the processor is already
    having major workload coping with temperatures exceeding over 70 Celsius
    with an average heatsink. I personally don't like the idea that my PC
    is sweating like a sprinter after a race. If I'd install an SLI combo
    right now, I'd go for the 6600GTs instead of their big brothers.

    The hardware magazines and online services should take a closer look on
    this issue, because it will most deifnitely give some the enhusiasts a
    headache.

    Nada, Jan 11, 2005
  8. Manuel

    NightSky 421 Guest

    "Thomas" <> wrote in message

    > I had the same problem before, and that with in the moderate Dutch
    > summer... I cheanged to watercooling, which makes my PC a lot less
    > vulnerable for high temperatures.

    For those willing to brave it (I'm not one of them!), watercooling can be
    very effective at helping with system temperatures.

    NightSky 421, Jan 12, 2005
  9. Manuel

    > Stability is going to be an issue when the heat waves arrive in warmer
    > parts of the globe. I'm sure they'll manage in Iceland, but in Texas and
    > other warmer sides of the planet have a hellova lot to deal with. I have
    > roundabout the same rig as you do with AMD Barton, and while I didn't have
    > any lockups during the peaks of summer, it didn't exactly give me a peace
    > of mind to think there was a sauna inside my Chieftec tower. The Pentiums
    > up in their +3GHz will have a heckova hard time dealing with two SLI
    > 6800GTs installed when the processor is already having major workload
    > coping with temperatures exceeding over 70 Celsius with an average
    > heatsink. I personally don't like the idea that my PC is sweating like a
    > sprinter after a race. If I'd install an SLI combo right now, I'd go for
    > the 6600GTs instead of their big brothers.

    Good point about system stability.

    Despite my favoring ATI at the moment, I do have to admit that a pair of
    6600GT's would provide great performance while not being as hot as 6800GT's
    (for example). A person could even start out with one card and then add a
    second one when prices go down and when the boost in performance is needed.
    My understanding is that the 6600GT is as good, if not better, than the 9800
    Pro.

    You're right about the Pentium 4's above 3GHz. I'm kinda glad I settled in
    at 2.8GHz, but I still felt the heat from it (and my overall system) last
    summer! My second computer is an Athlon XP 2500+, which has even greater
    temperatures. Luckily, the components I have in it aren't as powerful.

    > The hardware magazines and online services should take a closer look on
    > this issue, because it will most deifnitely give some the enhusiasts a
    > headache.

    I agree.

    NightSky 421, Jan 12, 2005
  10. Manuel

    Nada Guest

    NightSky 421 wrote:

    > "Nada" <_killspam> wrote in message
    >
    >>Stability is going to be an issue when the heat waves arrive in warmer
    >>parts of the globe. I'm sure they'll manage in Iceland, but in Texas and
    >>other warmer sides of the planet have a hellova lot to deal with. I have
    >>roundabout the same rig as you do with AMD Barton, and while I didn't have
    >>any lockups during the peaks of summer, it didn't exactly give me a peace
    >>of mind to think there was a sauna inside my Chieftec tower. The Pentiums
    >>up in their +3GHz will have a heckova hard time dealing with two SLI
    >>6800GTs installed when the processor is already having major workload
    >>coping with temperatures exceeding over 70 Celsius with an average
    >>heatsink. I personally don't like the idea that my PC is sweating like a
    >>sprinter after a race. If I'd install an SLI combo right now, I'd go for
    >>the 6600GTs instead of their big brothers.
    >>

    > Good point about system stability.
    >
    > Despite my favoring ATI at the moment, I do have to admit that a pair of
    > 6600GT's would provide great performance while not being as hot as 6800GT's
    > (for example). A person could even start out with one card and then add a
    > second one when prices go down and when the boost in performance is needed.
    > My understanding is that the 6600GT is as good, if not better, than the 9800
    > Pro.

    That's the PC hardware beef of the year really. I've complained
    Nvidia's middle sector offers a lot in the past two years, but I have
    zero reasons to do so this year. I really like my 9800 Pro. It runs
    silent, offers enough speed even today, but 6600GT has stolen the
    sweetspot market place. And if you look the card's specs, it fools you
    somewhat to realize it has 128bit bandwith against 9800 Pro's 256bits.
    It's the card that 5900 Ultra should had been.

    > You're right about the Pentium 4's above 3GHz. I'm kinda glad I settled in
    > at 2.8GHz, but I still felt the heat from it (and my overall system) last
    > summer! My second computer is an Athlon XP 2500+, which has even greater
    > temperatures. Luckily, the components I have in it aren't as powerful.

    I've been hesitating for going over certain speed in both CPU
    manufacturers' models. With the Athlon XP line I've sticked to 1914MHz
    and if I'd choose P4, I'd choose the same model as you have right now.
    I used to be more of a speed enthusiast when I was younger, but I guess
    with age you start looking for stability more than just pure speed. Not
    that I wouldn't have a Ferrari fever, it's just that I like to keep my
    nerves under Zalman heatsink.

    Nada, Jan 12, 2005