    or two and get even more protection from a drive failure?I do have
    backups of vital data... Looking into a TBU, but that's for another
    newsgroup.
    Justin, Jan 27, 2008

  2. Justin

    Anonymous Guest

    Anonymous, Jan 28, 2008

  3. Justin

    Bob Bailin Guest

    "Anonymous" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 00:41:24 -0500, Justin <> wrote:
    >
    >>I currently have a RAID 1 setup. Would I be able to add another drive
    >>or two and get even more protection from a drive failure?

    > RAID 5 or 10
    >
    > http://download.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/manual70.pdf

    No, the OP is referring to 3 or 4 drives all mirrorred to each other in
    a RAID 1. Intel Matrix Storage Technology only allows for a single
    pair of drives in a RAID 1. You can, however, install additional drives
    as hot spares which will be used automatically in the event of a drive
    failure. The benefit of this setup vs the cost of the additional drives is
    basically not worth it. A RAID 10 would put all 4 drives to better
    use without increasing your exposure to failure.
    Bob Bailin, Jan 28, 2008
  4. Justin

    Nate Edel Guest

    Justin <> wrote:
    > I currently have a RAID 1 setup. Would I be able to add another drive
    > or two and get even more protection from a drive failure?I do have
    > backups of vital data... Looking into a TBU, but that's for another
    > newsgroup.

    So far as I know, 3-way mirroring would only be possible with software.
    It's uncommon to support it in hardware, and the ICH8R/9R definitely do not.

    --
    Nate Edel http://www.cubiclehermit.com/
    preferred email |
    Nate Edel, Jan 29, 2008