RAID, One SATA 2 Dirve --Answered

Discussion in 'Asus' started by clearleft, Apr 8, 2006.

  1. clearleft

    clearleft Guest

    First: Thanks to all that helped me here.

    For those of you who might have my same problem, here is what worked
    for me

    Problem: I bought a ASUS AV8 (original) board W/ SATA raid, and wanted
    to run one SATA hard drive.

    Further I accidently bought a SATA 2 HD.

    It does work. I simply configured the hard drive as specified on the
    top of the hard drive/ instructins say to place jumper at pin 5-6 for
    regular SATA 150 only (this is drive brand specific).

    Then the tricky part.

    When you are frist installing windows (if that is what you are doing),
    windows will ask you if you need to install additional drivers for
    RAID, SCSI push F6.

    Push F6 install drivers as stated exactly in the MOBO instructions.
    There are a lot of drivers on the CD included. look in the manual, and
    it says exactly where the driver is that you want. You have to use
    another computer with a 3.5 floppy. you will have to explore the CD
    and look for the drivers that way. the address is in the instructions
    manual. (sorry if this is confusing, i am trying to put as much info
    as possible) it will be something like "drivrs/ RAID642 / ... /
    makedisk.exe". I cant remember.

    after installing the correct driver hit enter and windows will do the
    rest. no need to configure or mess with raid. the Single SATA drive
    will run just like a normal hard drive. I had mine plugged into port
    1.

    If you are having problems with the SATA 2 drive, remember many
    motherboards do not suppord SATA 2. While the hard drive instructions
    say that SSC feature is dissabled as default, THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT
    IT WORKS AS A SATA 1 DRIVE. You need to jumper it to act as a SATA 1
    drive.

    Further Info about graphics card:

    I am using an ABIT 9000 PRO. I was confused when the MOBO instructions
    stated that the MOBO did not support graphics cards that required 3.3
    volts. I found out that the voltage requirement is related some how to
    the 8X/4X/2X...

    this is what worked for me, and may not be correct, or work for anyone
    else. thanks to all that helped me get my machine up and running. any
    further blogs that may help in this situation are apprecitaed.

    CL

    clearleft, Apr 8, 2006