    Any suggestions?

    thanks,

    Fred

    Boozeman, Nov 30, 2005

  2. Boozeman

    Bob Willard Guest

    Boozeman wrote:

    > Dear all,
    >
    > I am going to buy a new server for my compny but I am undecided on
    > what RAID setuo to order.
    >
    > Currently we have 3 disks in a raid 5 array, the salesman suggests 4
    > disks in 2 raid 1 arays (one disk for OS + 1 disk for database).
    >
    > I was thinking on a 6 disk raid 5 + 1 setup to be safer.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > Fred

    If you are concerned with the safety of your data, then RAID is the wrong
    place to start. First, create and test a backup/restore procedure; then,
    make sure the backup procedure is run frequently (usually nightly), and that
    a copy is kept off-site.

    Now that your data is safe, pick a RAID configuration based on performance
    (and safety and cost). If daily backups leave too much fresh data exposed,
    consider RAID6 with a hot spare HD; deploy 8 HDs as a 5+2+1 RAID6 set.

    --
    Cheers, Bob

    Bob Willard, Nov 30, 2005