RAID, Windows 2000 and ICH9R

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Aidan Whitehall, Jun 18, 2008.

  1. I was going to buy a Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R but noticed at the last
    minute that the page for that motherboard
    http://tw.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=2740
    says:

    === begin quote ===

    "Duo to chipset limitation, Intel ICH9R RAID driver does not support
    Windows 2000 operating system."

    ==== end quote ====

    I was hoping to create a system with 3 x RAID 1 arrays (i.e. 3 x 2-
    drive mirrored pairs for C:, D:, and E: ) and want to use Windows 2000
    Server for compatibility with other s/w, but seeing this has stopped
    me from ordering it.

    Other boards (e.g. ASUS) with the ICH9R chipset don't carry a similar
    warning about RAID under Windows 2000, e.g.
    http://uk.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=534&l4=0&model=1637&modelmenu=2

    This Expert's Exchange page (scroll to the bottom for the answer)
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Windows/2000/Q_23413739.html
    says:

    === begin quote ===

    You probably already know this, but Intel shows support for Windows
    2000 only through its ICH7 hubs.

    See: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...9&strOSs=19&OSFullName=Windows* 2000&lang=eng

    The page above has this line:

    "Note: This is the final version of IntelĀ® Matrix Storage Manager with
    Microsoft Windows 2000* support."

    However, Gigabyte shows a pre-installation ('press 6') driver for
    Win2k for their GA-P35-DS3P board, which uses the ICH9R hub

    Usually the chipset drivers are provided by the board vendors and are
    specific to the board - you probably can't use a Gigabyte driver on a
    non-Gigabyte board.

    ==== end quote ====

    ... and I've got a box running Windows 2000 which uses an ASUS P5B
    Deluxe motherboard (ICH8R chipset) with 3 x RAID 1 arrays with the
    Matrix s/w and it seems to be fine.

    Can anyone please clarify; if I were to buy the Gigabyte board and
    install the RAID driver on installation (i.e. "press F6" ) is it a non-
    issue? Or is it just an issue with Gigabyte boards, and could I buy
    another ASUS board without the same concern?

    And for a bonus point... does anyone think the same issue would exist
    with a board with the ICH10R chipset?

    Thank you for any help!

    Aidan Whitehall, Jun 18, 2008