    And/Or are there any fundamental flaws/blatant display of misunderstanding
    in anything I've stated above?

    Thanks.
    Doc, Jul 26, 2006

  2. Doc

    Garrot Guest

    Doc wrote:
    > This machine I just got came with 512 megs of PC2700. (2x 256). I just
    > replaced it with 1 gig of PC3200 DDR 400 (2x512), which as I understand it
    > is faster. However, there sits half a gig of perfectly functional ram
    > unused. This particular board will hold up to 4 gigs. The 1 gig is dual
    > channel, not sure about the 512 meg set.
    >
    > Is it true that if you mix speeds, the faster ram will only run as fast as
    > the slower ram? If so, would I be better off to run the 1 gig of PC3200, or
    > 1.5 gigs of mixed PC3200 and PC2700?
    >
    > Or, is it a bad idea to mix ram like that?
    >
    > And/Or are there any fundamental flaws/blatant display of misunderstanding
    > in anything I've stated above?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Mixing the ram will make all the ram run at the slowest speed. I would
    just use the 1gb PC3200 and get another 1gb PC3200 later if you felt the
    need. I went from 1gb to 2gb and barely noticed a difference. Going from
    1gb to 1.5gb will not do much for you unless you are running something
    that is really ram hungry. What cpu are you using?
    Garrot, Jul 26, 2006

  3. Doc

    rrodriguez83 Guest

    Garrots right, you wont notice the speed difference at all...
    unless your running a lot of processor intensive software like
    photoshop or 3d studio max. I would leave that slot open for a upgrades
    in the future...or...just sell off your old sticks and put it towards
    the cost of another gig of 3200 memory.

    rrodriguez83, Jul 26, 2006
  4. Doc

    Doc Guest

    "Garrot" <> wrote in message
    > Doc wrote:

    > > Is it true that if you mix speeds, the faster ram will only run as fast

    as
    > > the slower ram? If so, would I be better off to run the 1 gig of PC3200,

    or
    > > 1.5 gigs of mixed PC3200 and PC2700?

    > Mixing the ram will make all the ram run at the slowest speed. I would
    > just use the 1gb PC3200 and get another 1gb PC3200 later if you felt the
    > need. I went from 1gb to 2gb and barely noticed a difference. Going from
    > 1gb to 1.5gb will not do much for you unless you are running something
    > that is really ram hungry. What cpu are you using?

    P4 2.4 Gig Northwood according to CPU-Z-135.
    Doc, Jul 26, 2006
  5. Doc

    Doc Guest

    "Doc" <> wrote in message

    > P4 2.4 Gig Northwood according to CPU-Z-135.

    mPGA-478
    Doc, Jul 26, 2006
  6. Doc

    DaveW Guest

    Mixing RAM is not a good idea. You runn into RAM stick timing problems.
    And, yes, the system will only run as fast as the slowest RAM.

    --
    DaveW

    ----------------

    DaveW, Jul 27, 2006
  7. Doc

    Garrot Guest

    Doc wrote:

    > P4 2.4 Gig Northwood according to CPU-Z-135.

    OK, that cpu is designed to run on a 200mhz FSB (400mhz double data
    rate) which is what PC3200 is so you are better off to just use the
    PC3200 ram and get another 1gb of PC32000 if you want more ram.
    Garrot, Jul 28, 2006
  8. Doc

    Puddin' Man Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:30:44 GMT, "Doc" <>
    wrote:

    >"Garrot" <> wrote in message
    >> Doc wrote:

    >> > Is it true that if you mix speeds, the faster ram will only run as fast

    >as
    >> > the slower ram? If so, would I be better off to run the 1 gig of PC3200,

    >or
    >> > 1.5 gigs of mixed PC3200 and PC2700?

    >> Mixing the ram will make all the ram run at the slowest speed. I would
    >> just use the 1gb PC3200 and get another 1gb PC3200 later if you felt the
    >> need. I went from 1gb to 2gb and barely noticed a difference. Going from
    >> 1gb to 1.5gb will not do much for you unless you are running something
    >> that is really ram hungry. What cpu are you using?

    >P4 2.4 Gig Northwood according to CPU-Z-135.

    Check CPU-Z - Memory - Frequency. If it is running at 200mhz
    (as I understand it), you have pc3200 max, and adding
    pc2700 would slow overall mem speed.

    If it is < 200 mhz, you need to figger why.

    Puddin' Man, Jul 30, 2006