Ram Needed

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by swalker, Aug 1, 2007.

  1. swalker

    swalker Guest

    I am about to purchase a new laptop. It will be a Vista Home Premium.

    The one I am looking at comes with 2GB of ram and is not expandable.

    Some machines being sold are expandable, usually to 4GB.

    When I bought my GW 500X it came with 256MB of ram and I upgraded it
    to 500MB and finally to 1GB.

    Anybody want to make a guess as to what the typical ram requirements
    will be in say, 4 years.

    1. Advertising

  2. Tom from WI

    Tom from WI Guest

    Does "not expandable" really mean you can't take out the current RAM and
    replace with larger memory? That would seem unlikely. What model are you
    looking at?
    Tom

    "swalker" <> wrote in message
    >I am about to purchase a new laptop. It will be a Vista Home Premium.
    >
    > The one I am looking at comes with 2GB of ram and is not expandable.
    >
    > Some machines being sold are expandable, usually to 4GB.
    >
    > When I bought my GW 500X it came with 256MB of ram and I upgraded it
    > to 500MB and finally to 1GB.
    >
    > Anybody want to make a guess as to what the typical ram requirements
    > will be in say, 4 years.

    1. Advertising

  3. "Anybody want to make a guess..."
    Not really.
    Only you and the specific uses of the computer can make that
    determination.

    Some are successfully using computers with less than 1 GB ram while
    others need over 3 GB.
    Both are doing very well at what they do.

    How have your memory requirements changed over the past several years.
    Or how have the memory requirements of others who do what you now do
    changed over the last several years.

    If you post the model, someone may be able to give you specific
    information on that computer.
    Or you could check for yourself using the Crucial Memory Advisor:
    http://www.crucial.com/

    --
    Jupiter Jones
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "swalker" <> wrote in message
    >I am about to purchase a new laptop. It will be a Vista Home Premium.
    >
    > The one I am looking at comes with 2GB of ram and is not expandable.
    >
    > Some machines being sold are expandable, usually to 4GB.
    >
    > When I bought my GW 500X it came with 256MB of ram and I upgraded it
    > to 500MB and finally to 1GB.
    >
    > Anybody want to make a guess as to what the typical ram requirements
    > will be in say, 4 years.

  4. swalker

    swalker Guest

    On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 08:50:58 -0700, "Tom from WI"
    <> wrote:

    >Does "not expandable" really mean you can't take out the current RAM and
    >replace with larger memory? That would seem unlikely. What model are you
    >looking at?
    >Tom
    >
    >"swalker" <> wrote in message
    >>I am about to purchase a new laptop. It will be a Vista Home Premium.
    >>
    >> The one I am looking at comes with 2GB of ram and is not expandable.
    >>
    >> Some machines being sold are expandable, usually to 4GB.
    >>
    >> When I bought my GW 500X it came with 256MB of ram and I upgraded it
    >> to 500MB and finally to 1GB.
    >>
    >> Anybody want to make a guess as to what the typical ram requirements
    >> will be in say, 4 years.

    The machine is a HP. Not expandable means exactly that.

    If you go to any of the big-box sellers of new laptops almost every
    one is loaded with Vista, some with only 512mb of ram and can only be
    expanded to 1GB.

    In addition many of these machines have limited, and sometimes no,
    dedicated memory on the graphics card. They are sharing memory to make
    up the loss.

    Which is why one of the guys at the store told me they referred to
    them as go-and-come machines cause they go out the door and come right
    back to be upgraded.

  5. Tom from WI

    Tom from WI Guest

    "swalker" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 08:50:58 -0700, "Tom from WI"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Does "not expandable" really mean you can't take out the current RAM and
    >>replace with larger memory? That would seem unlikely. What model are you
    >>looking at?
    >>Tom
    >>
    >>"swalker" <> wrote in message
    >>>I am about to purchase a new laptop. It will be a Vista Home Premium.
    >>>
    >>> The one I am looking at comes with 2GB of ram and is not expandable.
    >>>
    >>> Some machines being sold are expandable, usually to 4GB.
    >>>
    >>> When I bought my GW 500X it came with 256MB of ram and I upgraded it
    >>> to 500MB and finally to 1GB.
    >>>
    >>> Anybody want to make a guess as to what the typical ram requirements
    >>> will be in say, 4 years.

    > The machine is a HP. Not expandable means exactly that.
    >
    > If you go to any of the big-box sellers of new laptops almost every
    > one is loaded with Vista, some with only 512mb of ram and can only be
    > expanded to 1GB.
    >
    > In addition many of these machines have limited, and sometimes no,
    > dedicated memory on the graphics card. They are sharing memory to make
    > up the loss.
    >
    > Which is why one of the guys at the store told me they referred to
    > them as go-and-come machines cause they go out the door and come right
    > back to be upgraded.

    Do you have an actual model number of the HP laptop you are looking at? I
    hear what you are saying, but it would seem incredible to build a Vista
    laptop that had a maximum of 1 GB RAM.
    Tom

  6. swalker

    swalker Guest

    The one I am considering has 2GB.

    But for some others, see HP dv6308nr, Smsung NP-Q1UAY01,
    Compaq C571NR

    On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 19:04:28 -0700, "Tom from WI"
    <> wrote:

    >"swalker" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 08:50:58 -0700, "Tom from WI"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Does "not expandable" really mean you can't take out the current RAM and
    >>>replace with larger memory? That would seem unlikely. What model are you
    >>>looking at?
    >>>Tom
    >>>
    >>>"swalker" <> wrote in message

    >> The machine is a HP. Not expandable means exactly that.
    >>
    >> If you go to any of the big-box sellers of new laptops almost every
    >> one is loaded with Vista, some with only 512mb of ram and can only be
    >> expanded to 1GB.
    >>
    >> In addition many of these machines have limited, and sometimes no,
    >> dedicated memory on the graphics card. They are sharing memory to make
    >> up the loss.
    >>
    >> Which is why one of the guys at the store told me they referred to
    >> them as go-and-come machines cause they go out the door and come right
    >> back to be upgraded.
    >>

    >Do you have an actual model number of the HP laptop you are looking at? I
    >hear what you are saying, but it would seem incredible to build a Vista
    >laptop that had a maximum of 1 GB RAM.
    >Tom

  7. Tom from WI

    Tom from WI Guest

    The HP and the Compaq come with 2 256MB boards and, as you say, can only be
    expanded to 2GB maximum. I looked around at low priced (around $700) laptops
    at Dell, they all had a 2GB max memory, so I guess that must be the standard
    for the low end. Even their $1000 laptops were limited to 2GB.

    I am running a desktop with 2 GB and Vista Home Premium and a integrated
    graphics card that has 512MB memory. I am not a game player, but I do a lot
    of photo editing, create some DVDs with movies and slides, and copy my old
    vinyl LPs (yes, I'm old!) to my PC to make MP3 CDs for my car. The PC runs
    very fast for my use, so the 2GB is plenty (it can be further upgraded, if
    needed). It obviously depends on what you do on your laptop. I have 1GB on
    my WinXP laptop, which is now 2 years old. I have had no reason to add more
    memory. I do some photo editing on my laptop, but mostly it is used for
    internet access, limited Word and Excel usage.

    I'm guessing that in 4 years, you will think your laptop would be a good
    boat anchor (for a small boat). But, it depends on what you plan to use it
    for.
    Tom

    "swalker" <> wrote in message
    > The one I am considering has 2GB.
    >
    > But for some others, see HP dv6308nr, Smsung NP-Q1UAY01,
    > Compaq C571NR
    >
    > On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 19:04:28 -0700, "Tom from WI"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"swalker" <> wrote in message

    >>> The machine is a HP. Not expandable means exactly that.
    >>>
    >>> If you go to any of the big-box sellers of new laptops almost every
    >>> one is loaded with Vista, some with only 512mb of ram and can only be
    >>> expanded to 1GB.
    >>>
    >>> In addition many of these machines have limited, and sometimes no,
    >>> dedicated memory on the graphics card. They are sharing memory to make
    >>> up the loss.
    >>>
    >>> Which is why one of the guys at the store told me they referred to
    >>> them as go-and-come machines cause they go out the door and come right
    >>> back to be upgraded.
    >>>

    >>Do you have an actual model number of the HP laptop you are looking at? I
    >>hear what you are saying, but it would seem incredible to build a Vista
    >>laptop that had a maximum of 1 GB RAM.
    >>Tom

  8. In 4 years we will be using Vista (or XP) ....

    2GB will be more than adequate for most people.

    swalker wrote:
    > I am about to purchase a new laptop. It will be a Vista Home Premium.
    >
    > The one I am looking at comes with 2GB of ram and is not expandable.
    >
    > Some machines being sold are expandable, usually to 4GB.
    >
    > When I bought my GW 500X it came with 256MB of ram and I upgraded it
    > to 500MB and finally to 1GB.
    >
    > Anybody want to make a guess as to what the typical ram requirements
    > will be in say, 4 years.

  9. I do not know of ANY laptop in current production that does not have two
    memory slots that can each take a 1GB module (without regard to what
    they come with).

    swalker wrote:
    > On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 08:50:58 -0700, "Tom from WI"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Does "not expandable" really mean you can't take out the current RAM and
    >> replace with larger memory? That would seem unlikely. What model are you
    >> looking at?
    >> Tom
    >>
    >> "swalker" <> wrote in message
    >>> I am about to purchase a new laptop. It will be a Vista Home Premium.
    >>>
    >>> The one I am looking at comes with 2GB of ram and is not expandable.
    >>>
    >>> Some machines being sold are expandable, usually to 4GB.
    >>>
    >>> When I bought my GW 500X it came with 256MB of ram and I upgraded it
    >>> to 500MB and finally to 1GB.
    >>>
    >>> Anybody want to make a guess as to what the typical ram requirements
    >>> will be in say, 4 years.

    > The machine is a HP. Not expandable means exactly that.
    >
    > If you go to any of the big-box sellers of new laptops almost every
    > one is loaded with Vista, some with only 512mb of ram and can only be
    > expanded to 1GB.
    >
    > In addition many of these machines have limited, and sometimes no,
    > dedicated memory on the graphics card. They are sharing memory to make
    > up the loss.
    >
    > Which is why one of the guys at the store told me they referred to
    > them as go-and-come machines cause they go out the door and come right
    > back to be upgraded.

  10. swalker

    swalker Guest

    On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 01:19:06 -0400, Barry Watzman
    <> wrote:

    >I do not know of ANY laptop in current production that does not have two
    >memory slots that can each take a 1GB module (without regard to what
    >they come with).

    I know nothing of slots.

    The Compaq Presario C571NR comes with 1GB and is not expandable,
    according to the advertised specs.

    >swalker wrote:
    >> On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 08:50:58 -0700, "Tom from WI"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Does "not expandable" really mean you can't take out the current RAM and
    >>> replace with larger memory? That would seem unlikely. What model are you
    >>> looking at?
    >>> Tom
    >>>
    >>> "swalker" <> wrote in message

    >> The machine is a HP. Not expandable means exactly that.
    >>
    >> If you go to any of the big-box sellers of new laptops almost every
    >> one is loaded with Vista, some with only 512mb of ram and can only be
    >> expanded to 1GB.
    >>
    >> In addition many of these machines have limited, and sometimes no,
    >> dedicated memory on the graphics card. They are sharing memory to make
    >> up the loss.
    >>
    >> Which is why one of the guys at the store told me they referred to
    >> them as go-and-come machines cause they go out the door and come right
    >> back to be upgraded.

  11. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    Barry,

    I do not have firsthand knowledge of any laptops in current production without
    two memory slots either. But having seen some in the past, I would not be
    surprised if some laptop manufacturer has a one-slot cheapie (or worse yet
    permanently soldered-on memory) selling at Walmart or some other discounter.

    .... Ben Myers

    wrote:

    >I do not know of ANY laptop in current production that does not have two
    >memory slots that can each take a 1GB module (without regard to what
    >they come with).
    >

    >swalker wrote:
    >> On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 08:50:58 -0700, "Tom from WI"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Does "not expandable" really mean you can't take out the current RAM and
    >>> replace with larger memory? That would seem unlikely. What model are you
    >>> looking at?
    >>> Tom
    >>>
    >>> "swalker" <> wrote in message

    >> The machine is a HP. Not expandable means exactly that.
    >>
    >> If you go to any of the big-box sellers of new laptops almost every
    >> one is loaded with Vista, some with only 512mb of ram and can only be
    >> expanded to 1GB.
    >>
    >> In addition many of these machines have limited, and sometimes no,
    >> dedicated memory on the graphics card. They are sharing memory to make
    >> up the loss.
    >>
    >> Which is why one of the guys at the store told me they referred to
    >> them as go-and-come machines cause they go out the door and come right
    >> back to be upgraded.

  12. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3441641&lang=en#N372

    It looks like the default configuration is 1 GB RAM, 2 sticks each 512
    MB.
    If you are getting this with 2 GB, then you probably upgraded the
    original configuration during the purchase process.

    This laptop, like many others, has two slots for memory sticks.
    Each slot will hold a stick with a maximum size of 1 GB.
    2 slots = 2 GB.
    Other computers may have different specifications.

    --

    "swalker" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 01:19:06 -0400, Barry Watzman
    > <> wrote:
    > I know nothing of slots.
    >
    > The Compaq Presario C571NR comes with 1GB and is not expandable,
    > according to the advertised specs.
    >

    >>swalker wrote:

    >>> The machine is a HP. Not expandable means exactly that.
    >>>
    >>> If you go to any of the big-box sellers of new laptops almost
    >>> every
    >>> one is loaded with Vista, some with only 512mb of ram and can only
    >>> be
    >>> expanded to 1GB.
    >>>
    >>> In addition many of these machines have limited, and sometimes no,
    >>> dedicated memory on the graphics card. They are sharing memory to
    >>> make
    >>> up the loss.
    >>>
    >>> Which is why one of the guys at the store told me they referred to
    >>> them as go-and-come machines cause they go out the door and come
    >>> right
    >>> back to be upgraded.

  13. Tom from WI

    Tom from WI Guest

    If you go to Compaq's website and search for C571NR, you will find the
    product specs that say 2GB is the maximum.
    Tom
    "swalker" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 01:19:06 -0400, Barry Watzman
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I do not know of ANY laptop in current production that does not have two
    >>memory slots that can each take a 1GB module (without regard to what
    >>they come with).

    > I know nothing of slots.
    >
    > The Compaq Presario C571NR comes with 1GB and is not expandable,
    > according to the advertised specs.
    >

    >>swalker wrote:

    >>> The machine is a HP. Not expandable means exactly that.
    >>>
    >>> If you go to any of the big-box sellers of new laptops almost every
    >>> one is loaded with Vista, some with only 512mb of ram and can only be
    >>> expanded to 1GB.
    >>>
    >>> In addition many of these machines have limited, and sometimes no,
    >>> dedicated memory on the graphics card. They are sharing memory to make
    >>> up the loss.
    >>>
    >>> Which is why one of the guys at the store told me they referred to
    >>> them as go-and-come machines cause they go out the door and come right
    >>> back to be upgraded.

  14. That computer has two slots (you should get yourself edumicated a bit;
    for a laptop owner to say "I know nothing of slots" is about like a car
    owner to say "I know nothing of tires"). Each of which contains 512MB
    of memory as shipped from the factory.

    I am pretty sure .... no matter what Compaq says .... that you can put a
    1GB module in each of those slots (both slots should always contain
    identical modules, however). The chipset (which is what the memory
    connects to) is an Intel 945 family product with GMA950 shared memory
    video. That chipset supports two memory modules up to at least 1GB
    each. It's inconceivable that HP/Compaq did anything to change that.

    Also see page 61 of this manual:
    http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00821546.pdf

    swalker wrote:
    > On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 01:19:06 -0400, Barry Watzman
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I do not know of ANY laptop in current production that does not have two
    >> memory slots that can each take a 1GB module (without regard to what
    >> they come with).

    > I know nothing of slots.
    >
    > The Compaq Presario C571NR comes with 1GB and is not expandable,
    > according to the advertised specs.
    >

    >> swalker wrote:

    >>> The machine is a HP. Not expandable means exactly that.
    >>>
    >>> If you go to any of the big-box sellers of new laptops almost every
    >>> one is loaded with Vista, some with only 512mb of ram and can only be
    >>> expanded to 1GB.
    >>>
    >>> In addition many of these machines have limited, and sometimes no,
    >>> dedicated memory on the graphics card. They are sharing memory to make
    >>> up the loss.
    >>>
    >>> Which is why one of the guys at the store told me they referred to
    >>> them as go-and-come machines cause they go out the door and come right
    >>> back to be upgraded.

  15. Ok, let me add this information:

    -This laptop uses an Intel 945GM chipset
    -From an HP manual, there is a door on the bottom of the laptop with two
    dimm slots under it, and that's where the memory goes.

    It's a virtual certainty that the laptop can be upgraded to two 1GB DDR2
    modules.

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > Barry,
    >
    > I do not have firsthand knowledge of any laptops in current production without
    > two memory slots either. But having seen some in the past, I would not be
    > surprised if some laptop manufacturer has a one-slot cheapie (or worse yet
    > permanently soldered-on memory) selling at Walmart or some other discounter.
    >
    > ... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 01:19:06 -0400, Barry Watzman <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I do not know of ANY laptop in current production that does not have two
    >> memory slots that can each take a 1GB module (without regard to what
    >> they come with).
    >>

    >> swalker wrote:

    >>> The machine is a HP. Not expandable means exactly that.
    >>>
    >>> If you go to any of the big-box sellers of new laptops almost every
    >>> one is loaded with Vista, some with only 512mb of ram and can only be
    >>> expanded to 1GB.
    >>>
    >>> In addition many of these machines have limited, and sometimes no,
    >>> dedicated memory on the graphics card. They are sharing memory to make
    >>> up the loss.
    >>>
    >>> Which is why one of the guys at the store told me they referred to
    >>> them as go-and-come machines cause they go out the door and come right
    >>> back to be upgraded.

  16. Tom from WI

    Tom from WI Guest

    HP's website says that 2GB is OK (but no more).
    Tom
    "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    > Ok, let me add this information:
    >
    > -This laptop uses an Intel 945GM chipset
    > -From an HP manual, there is a door on the bottom of the laptop with two
    > dimm slots under it, and that's where the memory goes.
    >
    > It's a virtual certainty that the laptop can be upgraded to two 1GB DDR2
    > modules.
    >

    > Ben Myers wrote:
    >> Barry,
    >>
    >> I do not have firsthand knowledge of any laptops in current production
    >> without
    >> two memory slots either. But having seen some in the past, I would not
    >> be
    >> surprised if some laptop manufacturer has a one-slot cheapie (or worse
    >> yet
    >> permanently soldered-on memory) selling at Walmart or some other
    >> discounter.
    >>
    >> ... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 01:19:06 -0400, Barry Watzman
    >> <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I do not know of ANY laptop in current production that does not have two
    >>> memory slots that can each take a 1GB module (without regard to what
    >>> they come with).

  17. swalker

    swalker Guest

    On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 18:20:44 GMT, "Tom from WI"
    <> wrote:

    >If you go to Compaq's website and search for C571NR, you will find the
    >product specs that say 2GB is the maximum.
    >Tom

    This would lead to an interesting dilemma if you bought it and then
    found out that it couldn't be upgraded.

    >"swalker" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 01:19:06 -0400, Barry Watzman
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I do not know of ANY laptop in current production that does not have two
    >>>memory slots that can each take a 1GB module (without regard to what
    >>>they come with).

    >> I know nothing of slots.
    >>
    >> The Compaq Presario C571NR comes with 1GB and is not expandable,
    >> according to the advertised specs.

  18. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    Well, that is a different context that what you stated previously, isn't it? ...
    Ben