    DIMMs? I also assume there are 4 DIMM slots, so that means you can't
    upgrade to 4 GB later. Why don't they just put in three 1 GB DIMMs?

    , Apr 28, 2008

  2. S.Lewis Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I see that Dell offers dual channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667 MHz and 800
    > Mhz. The 800 MHz RAM is a little more expensive than the 667 MHz
    > RAM. Will the 800 MHz RAM offer better performance with all CPUs? Or
    > could the 667 MHz RAM be better for certain CPUs?
    >
    > Also, if you want 3 GB of RAM, why does Dell say they will install 4
    > DIMMs? I assume they will put in two 1 GB DIMMs, and two 512 MB
    > DIMMs? I also assume there are 4 DIMM slots, so that means you can't
    > upgrade to 4 GB later. Why don't they just put in three 1 GB DIMMs?

    On desktops with (4) DIMM sockets, yes, there are 2x1GB DIMMs + 2x512mb
    DIMMs = 3GB

    Laptops only have (2) DIMM sockets, so it would be (1) 2GB DIMM + (1) 1GB
    DIMM = 3GB

    S.Lewis, Apr 28, 2008

  3. Fixer Guest

    "S.Lewis" <> wrote in message

    > <> wrote in message

    <snip>
    .. Why don't they just put in three 1 GB DIMMs?

    > On desktops with (4) DIMM sockets, yes, there are 2x1GB DIMMs + 2x512mb
    > DIMMs = 3GB

    the reason they dont put 3 x1gb dims in is because they are interleaved, and
    so with the 2x1GB DIMMs + 2x512mb configuration it is faster than 3x1Gb

    Fixer, Apr 28, 2008
  4. Guest

    Hi!

    > Will the 800 MHz RAM offer better performance with all CPUs?

    Not necessarily. Some CPUs will work optimally with the slower memory.
    Look at the front side bus speed of the processor to know which RAM
    you should get.

    > Also, if you want 3 GB of RAM, why does Dell say they will
    > install 4 DIMMs? I assume they will put in two 1 GB DIMMs,
    > and two 512 MB DIMMs?

    > Why don't they just put in three 1 GB DIMMs?

    Some memory controllers work faster (or even more reliably) when
    memory can be interleaved. This requires that at least two matched
    DIMMs per bank (two sockets) be installed. However, it has been shown
    that on some systems, interleaving makes very little (or sometimes no)
    difference in performance.

    William

    , Apr 28, 2008
  5. Guest

    On Apr 28, 3:12 pm, wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > > Will the 800 MHz RAM offer better performance with all CPUs?

    > Not necessarily. Some CPUs will work optimally with the slower memory.
    > Look at the front side bus speed of the processor to know which RAM
    > you should get.

    So basically if the FSB is a multiple of the RAM speed, then that is
    the best situation? So if the FSB is 1333 MHz, then you should get
    667 MHz RAM? What if I want the Q6600, which has a FSB of 1066 MHz?
    Dell only sells 667 and 800 MHz RAM.

    > > Also, if you want 3 GB of RAM, why does Dell say they will
    > > install 4 DIMMs?  I assume they will put in two 1 GB DIMMs,
    > > and two 512 MB DIMMs?
    > > Why don't they just put in three 1 GB DIMMs?

    > Some memory controllers work faster (or even more reliably) when
    > memory can be interleaved. This requires that at least two matched
    > DIMMs per bank (two sockets) be installed. However, it has been shown
    > that on some systems, interleaving makes very little (or sometimes no)
    > difference in performance.

    I guess if I'm getting a 32 bit OS, then 3 GB will be almost the
    maximum amount that the OS can recognize, so there won't be any point
    in upgrading to 4 GB later (unless I were to upgrade to a 64 bit OS
    later).

    , Apr 28, 2008